Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times

Advertisements

When I traveled around Singapore, I met two people for a business meeting.

One was someone of half British, half Chinese ancestry but she looks 95% British. She really does not look Chinese much, I'd hesitate to say she even looked 10% Chinese. She can pass off as a full white person in a bar or restaurant in Overland Park, Kansas. However, she grew up in Singapore where her British father met her Singapore mother. And so she had a Singapore accent and is able to speak Chinese.

The other was an Asian-Australian who was born and raised in Australia. She speaks with an authentic and perfect Australian accent, since she was raised there.

It was a sight. The white looking face speaking in Singapore accent and the Asian face speaking perfect Australian. Side by side. To me. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
^ ^ Love those kinda "cross-cultural" experiences you sorta take for granted abroad (which makes 'ya realize just how "sheltered" we can be in the 'States)!

Old 01-29-2014, 06:05 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
I disagree with you. The skin color is totally off!

Why don't you say I look like Nelson Mandela? Or that I do not look different enough to blend in in Zimbabwe?
Well, frankly that is the difference you are talking about. The skin color of the picture you came up with is as dark as some African Americans. And there are many Chinese people lighter than white people in the US and Europe. Like that

I am the same skin tone as her.
Have you even left the city?

Women like this are typical in rural China, where folk actually spend time outdoors:

http://www.shutterpoint.com/photos/K...ARMER_view.jpg

Old 01-29-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Question: Would you consider a blond, English-descended Singaporean "Asian" if that is his or her culture, growing up there their whole life, including their friends, their media, accent, food etc.? Would they consider themselves Asian?

I ask, because I have heard South Africans, of many races, white, black, Asian Indian etc. who have called themselves "African" and are proud to be from the continent of Africa.
Of course, lah!

Singapore itself is a multicultural, 'multiracial' country.

The Singaporean White Boy - The Shan and Rozz Show: EP7 - YouTube

Of course, I don't know if he refers to himself as Asian, but I think he considers himself at least partly Singaporean. Self-identification is also influenced by how OTHERS view you. If they accept you as one of them, you're more likely to identify as such.

I've heard European looking people with Singlish accents, btw, when they speak to their friends.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
When I traveled around Singapore, I met two people for a business meeting.

One was someone of half British, half Chinese ancestry but she looks 95% British. She really does not look Chinese much, I'd hesitate to say she even looked 10% Chinese. She can pass off as a full white person in a bar or restaurant in Overland Park, Kansas. However, she grew up in Singapore where her British father met her Singapore mother. And so she had a Singapore accent and is able to speak Chinese.

The other was an Asian-Australian who was born and raised in Australia. She speaks with an authentic and perfect Australian accent, since she was raised there.

It was a sight. The white looking face speaking in Singapore accent and the Asian face speaking perfect Australian. Side by side. To me. LOL.
Yeah I saw a white girl speaking in a Singapore accent/Singlish, and of course being Asian Australian myself of Singaporean/Malaysian ancestry (Chinese going further back) with an Australian accent the latter is hardly novel to me. I only speak English as well.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:57 PM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I saw a white girl speaking in a Singapore accent/Singlish, and of course being Asian Australian myself of Singaporean/Malaysian ancestry (Chinese going further back) with an Australian accent the latter is hardly novel to me. I only speak English as well.
Asians speaking in an American and Australian accent are common in the USA and Australia.

It's the white face that speaks in an Asian accent that's unusual.

My incident was funny because of the two side by side. If I had met the half British girl alone, i would be fascinated, but not amused. If I met the Asian Australian alone anywhere, it's nothing unusual and she wouldn't even stand out.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Asians speaking in an American and Australian accent are common in the USA and Australia.

It's the white face that speaks in an Asian accent that's unusual.

My incident was funny because of the two side by side. If I had met the half British girl alone, i would be fascinated, but not amused. If I met the Asian Australian alone anywhere, it's nothing unusual and she wouldn't even stand out.
Ah I see what you mean, the contrast I guess. Yes it would be an interesting juxtaposition, an example of globalisation.

Native Cantonese Speaker - Sharon Balcombe - PART 1 - YouTube

Sharon speaking English and Mandarin - YouTube

Sharon Balcombe is an example of a white person who is almost totally integrated into HK society. Born and bred there, went to local schools, Cantonese is her main language and speaks English in a HK accent.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I didn't say they looked exactly like Chinese, but that they don't look different enough that they could blend in.

This one in particular:

http://www.amazon-indians.org/yanomami-girl.jpg
Sorry but they still don't look Chinese to me. I know you have some familiarity with Chinese but it doesn't look like you do with Native Americans. Those people look just like what they are to me, Native Americans.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Why don't you say I look like Nelson Mandela? Or that I do not look different enough to blend in in Zimbabwe?
Well, frankly that is the difference you are talking about. The skin color of the picture you came up with is as dark as some African Americans. And there are many Chinese people lighter than white people in the US and Europe. Like that http://www.hdwallpaperbackground.com...0picture18.jpg

Yeah like it's more red than yellowish. Also, Native Americans facial features are not as delicate looking as Chinese or anyone from that region in general.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Well, frankly that is the difference you are talking about. The skin color of the picture you came up with is as dark as some African Americans. And there are many Chinese people lighter than white people in the US and Europe. Like that http://www.hdwallpaperbackground.com...0picture18.jpg

Do you also look like her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World