Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,513,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What, aren't a lot of those endangered/protected? Grizzly bear? Seriously? Who even eats that?
Until the 1970s it was legal to hunt grizzly in my state, and it is still legal in Canada and Alaska. The meat just tastes like black bear, a little different just as whitetail deer tastes different from elk. There are a lot of them in my state and the biologists want to delist them, but the eco-freaks want to keep them "endangered" because they raise more money on them that way.

They are far from endangered.

As for Walrus, seal and whale, the Indians and Eskimos are allowed to hunt a limited number each year, and if you know the right people you can get a little to sample.
Otherwise they fall under the Marine Mammal act and are protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,476,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Until the 1970s it was legal to hunt grizzly in my state, and it is still legal in Canada and Alaska. The meat just tastes like black bear, a little different just as whitetail deer tastes different from elk. There are a lot of them in my state and the biologists want to delist them, but the eco-freaks want to keep them "endangered" because they raise more money on them that way.

As for Walrus, seal and whale, the Indians and Eskimos are allowed to hunt a limited number each year, and if you know the right people you can get a little to sample.
Even seals are protected? But they're so plentiful...

Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 PM

9,572 posts, read 20,685,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post

Grizzly bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes they are classified as endangered.

Grizzly Bear's Threatened Status To Be Lifted, Hunting Debated In Northern Rockies

Typical idiotic knee-jerk response to hunt them...God help us, and the grizzly bears...

Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,572,115 times
Not true at all,americans eat different types of meat,not less than any other people.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,732,926 times
Here in Aus there are butchers who sell meats like rabbit, kangaroo and venison. Not mainstream, but they do exist.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:50 AM

85 posts, read 153,405 times
You can pick up venison and kangaroo at any supermarket in my area. Not rare at all.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 AM

647 posts, read 1,211,037 times
The French, Swiss and Belgians also eat horses. The retired horses in North America are rounded up and slaughtered in Canada and then sent there to be eaten.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,150,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDrebin View Post
You can pick up venison and kangaroo at any supermarket in my area. Not rare at all.
You can pick up venison and veal in British supermarkets, as for Kangaroo have quite a strong tradition of animal rights in the UK and certain groups have been protesting against the stocking of what they term exotic meats in UK Supermarkets.

Search (venison) - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Waitrose Supermarkets | Viva!

Exotic meat

There are however an array of smaller butchers and on line retailers that sell exotic meat in the UK, and even the occasional supermarkets such as Lidl have started to sell Kangaroo and Reindeer. Although some argue that consuming certain exotic meats may be detrimental to your health and Animal Rights Groups have urged the boycotting of suppliers of such meats.

Would you eat a Lidl kangaroo steak? Exotic meat soars in popularity because it's half the price of beef | Mail Online

Eating this exotic meat may seriously damage your health - Home News - UK - The Independent

The Exotic Meat Company | The Exotic Meat Company | Borough Market

Exotic Meats & Game J. M. Danslow Butchers

Exotic meats for sale online kangaroo meat exotic fish crocodile burgers

Griffins - Exotic Meats

JF Edwards

Last edited by Bamford; 01-29-2014 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM

7,287 posts, read 6,867,039 times
Culture is to blame for food ignorance .
Especially liberal tree huggers .
If it doesn't come from the store or the Mc Donald's , it's probably not fit to eat.
Kids have no idea where eggs come from and if you try an show or tell them you get this barrage of protective "my kids don't need to be seeing that, "yuck".
Though I grew up in the city dad still had chickens and rabbits and we had our own garden , I knew where My food came from.
I was beheading a chicken @8 years old per dad's assistance, and cleaning fish regularly.
Trying foods new to me has been a passion, sense I am now singe ,the wife had no interest in non traditional foods.
Doesn't mean I like them all but i am wiling to try them.
I like rattlesnake and squirrels and rabbits and game birds of all sorts .
If you gave me the choice , I'd choose venison over steak, unless my son is cooking ,He does a steak for me that nothing else compares. OK so I had a little to do with teaching him to cook .

Old 01-29-2014, 10:36 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,673,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Culture is to blame for food ignorance .
Especially liberal tree huggers .
If it doesn't come from the store or the Mc Donald's , it's probably not fit to eat.
Kids have no idea where eggs come from and if you try an show or tell them you get this barrage of protective "my kids don't need to be seeing that, "yuck".
Though I grew up in the city dad still had chickens and rabbits and we had our own garden , I knew where My food came from.
I was beheading a chicken @8 years old per dad's assistance, and cleaning fish regularly.
It has nothing to do with liberal tree hugging, as a matter of fact they are probably better informed about animal treatment than the average guy. Ignorance, yes, but killing foor food also affects our sense for compassion, so it's quite natural that people don't want to see how their food is created. Still, it would be good for people to realize that for every steak you buy something have to die. Personally, I haven't gutted anything but fish, but still, you get the idea when having the fish's blood and guts all over your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World