Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,732,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, I'd hardly compare the hundred or so Pilgrims who willingly came to America, to the hundreds of thousands of convicts brought to Australia against their will!
I'm pretty sure most Aussies who have an Irish ancestor who fought for independence from the British, and was exiled to Australia for their efforts, would be extremely proud of them They'd be similarly proud of any poor rural ancestor exiled for stealing food to feed their starving family, and who survived in the pretty harsh environment of NSW.

Aussies don't whitewash the first fleet and the convict era at all. Some examples: Australia day marks the arrival of the first fleet, and the remains of the jail at Port Arthur are some of the most visited tourist attractions in Australia.

As for the Pilgrims, why did they see the need to flee from England?

But Robert Hughes did have a book to sell.."the Fatal Shore" I think it was titled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 AM

5,022 posts, read 7,432,002 times
Quote:
Well, I'd hardly compare the hundred or so Pilgrims who willingly came to America, to the hundreds of thousands of convicts brought to Australia against their will! And I'm sorry Aussies are unhappy with "foreigners" for simply pointing out the historical facts, instead of "enabling" their well-documented 'De Nile' and general ambivalence re: their own history.

But OK, so we disagree, although in fairness I'm citing more than simply my "opinion" here ("furiner" or no). And BTW, I hope you're not suggesting that only 'Aussies' are "entitled" to voice their opinions about the conditions in 'Oz' ('cuz heaven knows, they sure have their opinions about the U.S.)!
You give a couple of paragraphs of standard primary school history that every Australian is taught, and say we are in total denial it ever happend?

What is dramatically over played is the general line "Most/All Australians are descended from convicts" which is simply not true.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 AM

85 posts, read 153,308 times
Quote:
Well, I'd hardly compare the hundred or so Pilgrims who willingly came to America, to the hundreds of thousands of convicts brought to Australia against their will! And I'm sorry Aussies are unhappy with "foreigners" for simply pointing out the historical facts, instead of "enabling" their well-documented 'De Nile' and general ambivalence re: their own history.

There were 165,000 convicts brought to Australia over 80 years. For a comparison there were 370,000 immigrants in 1852 alone. The labour in those early days was convict labour, but the ruling of Australia was not done by convicts at all. In fact some were still in ball and chain.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You give a couple of paragraphs of standard primary school history that every Australian is taught, and say we are in total denial it ever happend?

What is dramatically over played is the general line "Most/All Australians are descended from convicts" which is simply not true.

It's estimated something like less than 2% of Australians could ever trace back to convicts. So when we constantly hear insults about convicts and crap like - well what do you expect from a nation of convicts - etc it's not that we have no sense of humour, it's that the person saying it is clearly ignorant.

There were 806 convict ships totalling less than 200,000 convicts by the time they stopped coming and Australia had over 1 million people. We had 300,000 aboriginals prior to 1788 aswell.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 AM

9,980 posts, read 12,325,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I'd say what your country did is not really relevant. One can, as a human being, say what is right or wrong, but also, one can say things out of ignorance. I think Mac15 and P London have said some rather ignorant things about America and Australia.
I haven't said anything ignorant about the USA actually, Australia yes I'd admit it but not the USA. Sorry but Australia gives of a vibe of being a sexist and racist society. Of course I've never been to Australia but I can only listen to your claims which are more valid than mine.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 AM

It's the constitution, it's Mabo, it's just...the vibe.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:23 AM

9,744 posts, read 20,674,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I haven't said anything ignorant about the USA actually, Australia yes I'd admit it but not the USA. Sorry but Australia gives of a vibe of being a sexist and racist society. Of course I've never been to Australia but I can only listen to your claims which are more valid than mine.
Well you did that I would consider as such, but no big deal, don't want to bring up any of that...

Well yes, everyones experience is different. I think to say there's 'no racism' in Australia is of course inaccurate. If you're non-white like myself you're more likely to at least experience some form of racism. BUT, on the whole, I wouldn't characterise Australia as a racist country or most Australians as racist. 99% of the time I don't have any problem at all. I would say in general it's not too unlike the UK, but probably less PC. But yes, racism does happen, how common it is depends on a lot of things (who you ask, hang with, where, the circumstances) but it's something you probably will not encounter in everyday life here. Of course there are some who are just unlucky.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDrebin View Post
It's estimated something like less than 2% of Australians could ever trace back to convicts. So when we constantly hear insults about convicts and crap like - well what do you expect from a nation of convicts - etc it's not that we have no sense of humour, it's that the person saying it is clearly ignorant.

There were 806 convict ships totalling less than 200,000 convicts by the time they stopped coming and Australia had over 1 million people. We had 300,000 aboriginals prior to 1788 aswell.
All the east coast states had stopped transportation prior to 1850, it was only WA (which took the smallest number of convicts overall) that continued transporting during the Golds Rushes and into the 1860's. Australia's non indigenous population actually doubled in 1852 from immigration alone

Old 01-29-2014, 05:21 AM

24,205 posts, read 24,661,550 times
1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. Canada
4. United States

Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't think that's fair. Considering nobody alive now had anything to do with what happened back then, and considering what happens now is none of our business, I think we're very capable of passing judgement. Remember, it is our 'systematic destruction' of indigenous contries all over the world that is probably responsible for your presence on this forum. If you're appalled by this, I suggest giving back all of the land to the Aborigines immediately.
The other problem is the majority of Australians were not alive, or were living in another country when all of this happened as well.

I am myself are able pass judgement of course, and as an Australian who holds a British Passport and has lived in the UK for several years I would say that the British are no where near as racially tolerant or left leaning as they make them selves out to be. Certainly no large or noticeable difference exists between the two countries.

I will agree British Colonialism is possibly the main cause of wealth and prosperity in places like Australia and Canada. However both counties now have to deal with the negative aspects of it as well.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-29-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World