Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Vietnamese in particular seem the least likely to integrate. Like there are still old Vietnamese refugees who've been here since the 70s who barely know much English. It really is a sort of ethnic ghetto. I haven't really encountered such foreign sounding accents among the local born in Perth. Pretty much everyone born in Australia, regardless of their background, sounds Australian here. Only in Melbourne was I surprised to find people born here who sound somewhat foreign. There aren't communities that are SO 'ethnic' as over there.
Vietnamese seem to be fiercely protective of their culture. I once looked at a room I wanted to rent in Oakland. the couple that owned it were Vietnamese and while they were some of the nicest people I have ever met, a good part of the meeting involved them explaining how to introduce ourselves to their neighbors. We were not their roommates (I had a girlfriend at the time) but "house guests" as anyone who stays with them is considered family and will be treated as such and the same is expected in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Vietnamese seem to be fiercely protective of their culture. I once looked at a room I wanted to rent in Oakland. the couple that owned it were Vietnamese and while they were some of the nicest people I have ever met, a good part of the meeting involved them explaining how to introduce ourselves to their neighbors. We were not their roommates (I had a girlfriend at the time) but "house guests" as anyone who stays with them is considered family and will be treated as such and the same is expected in return.
Yep...I think part of it is the fact their culture is so similar to Chinese. They are very family orientated. When I was staying in a hotel in Hanoi the hotel owner invited me to eat lunch with her family which was cool.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,255 times
Hispanic/Latino, Arab, Jewish, Middle Eastern, and Asian are NOT races.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM

An interesting in depth analysis and read:

Black in Latin America | Kontak

Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Hispanic/Latino, Arab, Asian are NOT races.
Yeah, they are more either continental-scale or larger cultural regions.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I was just thinking about how American categories of race and ethnicity are pretty broad.

They are white, black, Asian, Hispanic. These are typically the government categories and they are everywhere. They seem like stock categories that are pretty rigid in people's minds. I find people try to box people into these broad categories too much.

For a nation of immigrants and settlers, you would expect more nuanced categories on ethnic diversity. When people argue about diversity in the US, there is too much emphasis only on how many people as a percent are non-white. Almost every talking point is how many non-whites are there? How many blacks? How many Hispanics? How many Asians etc.

But there is so much more than that. A Nigerian is so much culturally different from a Somalian or Afro-Jamaican. An Indian Parsi is so much different from a Chinese Singaporean. Some people around city-data who are Canadians even mentioned Canadians have a more nuanced definition of diversity in ethnicity where culture is taken into account. Something I've heard too is that say a French-speaking Haitian is seen as more in common with a white French-Canadian while English-speaking Jamaicans have more in common with Anglo-Canadians, it's claimed, because there language is the main divider, not race. Doesn't language and culture trump physical appearance or at least sometimes?

Technically ethnicity takes into account culture, while race refers to appearance based on ancestry but other than Hispanics being Spanish speaking or having roots from Spanish colonies, few of the US race/ethnicity categories take into account cultural ties (eg. blacks are seen as just one group in the US regardless of culture or continent of origin, but Brits distinguish on their census Caribbean blacks and African blacks).

How are other country's ideas of ethnicity categories, like, or at least perceptions thereof?
Black in Latin America | Kontak

Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
As mentioned earlier in the thread, since culture and language better divide people than race (for instance, race would lump East Asians to Native Americans which makes little sense culturally), actually I think either ethnicity or cultural grouping would be a better way of making census categories (so that for instance, Caribbean people of all races can say their origins are in the Caribbean, same with say, Middle Easterners etc.).

Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Yeah, they are more either continental-scale or larger cultural regions.
Bingo..... Someone who finally shares some of my sentiments. Bless you.

Thank you

+1

Old 02-01-2014, 05:58 PM

Caucasoid is an arbitrary parameter created in the 19th century. It is a residue, an anachronism. Two people can be 'Caucasoid' and not be closely related. Craniofacial plasticity is much more variable than was originally thought, so racial claims on craniofacial parameters are foolish. In microcosms, you might be able to show some relationship, but in global macrocosms, there are more mistakes than accuracy. Polytopicity is when two different groups of organisms that are not related end up having similar traits.

More like, if they are in similar environments, common factors may play a role in similar attributes. For example people in the circum Sahara developed thinner noses overall because of the dryer, hotter air. In Europe the colder dryer air had a similar effect. When we see broader features, they tend to be more recent migrations to dryer regions from more humid climates. Of course other factors can come into play as well. For example Neanderthals had wide nasal cavities but a very long nose that did a similar function to a thin nose. Clothing has played a huge role in allowing people with certain traits to migrate to regions they did not do so well in naked.

Humanity is infinitely diverse and a beautiful thing. We are playdoh to the environment. And now we change the environment to us.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Caucasoid is an arbitrary parameter created in the 19th century. It is a residue, an anachronism. Two people can be 'Caucasoid' and not be closely related. Craniofacial plasticity is much more variable than was originally thought, so racial claims on craniofacial parameters are foolish. In microcosms, you might be able to show some relationship, but in global macrocosms, there are more mistakes than accuracy. Polytopicity is when two different groups of organisms that are not related end up having similar traits.

More like, if they are in similar environments, common factors may play a role in similar attributes. For example people in the circum Sahara developed thinner noses overall because of the dryer, hotter air. In Europe the colder dryer air had a similar effect. When we see broader features, they tend to be more recent migrations to dryer regions from more humid climates. Of course other factors can come into play as well. For example Neanderthals had wide nasal cavities but a very long nose that did a similar function to a thin nose. Clothing has played a huge role in allowing people with certain traits to migrate to regions they did not do so well in naked.

Humanity is infinitely diverse and a beautiful thing. We are playdoh to the environment. And now we change the environment to us.
When I was working in hospice in Seattle, there was an older Native man there who took a shine to me. One of his first questions: "Is your family Scandanavian?" "Yeah, we're ethnic Sami from Northern Sweden." "Ha, I knew it. You're built like me: you have a big, long body, but shorter legs and arms... we're like that to keep the heat trapped in us in cold climates." He was from an Alaskan tribe.

The human race is a fascinating thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World