Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times

Advertisements

Well I don't live in England there is more space here.

But London would be wealthier than Australia, much larger population.
Australia has a very small population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 01:35 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No British people only go there because its easy to get into.

But the UK is a wealthier and better country than Australia. Australia is an anglican and catholic country. The United States shares more religions with us than Australia.
Australia isn't an easy country to get into. It's a lot easier to get into Britain than to get into Australia. There is also a huge amount of people from the UK here (especially English). Where I live there are even shopping aisles that have exclusively UK products because of the large amount of UK people.

Australia has a lot of similarities with the UK (& the British Isles in general) especially in culture and sports etc. The main contribution to Australia is from Britain.

If the UK is a wealthier and better country than Australia why are there so many British coming here?

In the last few years the amount of British people coming to Australia is higher than it was in the last few decades.

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

In fact there is a rise in a lot of Europeans coming here. More French people are coming here now and French people were not one of the nationalities that have came here in the past.

More French coming to Australia than going to Britain | News.com.au

Old 01-30-2014, 01:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Well I don't live in England there is more space here.

But London would be wealthier than Australia, much larger population.
Australia has a very small population.
We're talking about individual quality of life, here, which depends more on GDP per capita and average income than total GDP.

Indonesia has a higher GDP than Singapore yet a much lower GDP for it's size, so obviously quality of life is better in Singapore.

Likewise, our GDP per capita and average income is higher in Australia than the UK. Our quality of life index is higher, our health care system is one of the best (though far from perfect), we have a higher life expectancy, our cities are less polluted, our climate more amiable and healthful, and our cities consistently rank among the most liveable in the world.

If you want to try to compare, Australia has a better quality of life by these measures.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
Wel the buck stops when we look at the gdp figires which show Australia at 12th and UK at 6th. We don't need to argue about that.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:40 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Wel the buck stops when we look at the gdp figires which show Australia at 12th and UK at 6th. We don't need to argue about that.
List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm talking GDP per capita, not total GDP, which is irrelevant.

If you wanna talk about that, the US's GDP is many times that of the UK. Does that make the average American many times richer than the average Briton?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:40 AM

58 posts, read 82,500 times
I know that America is slipping pretty fast. Compared to other first world countries we are almost in last when it comes to education and upward mobility and the clear undiputed champ when it comes to gun violence and crime in general.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:51 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Very interesting.

I think that USA differs or is unique in it's own right due to gaining independence in 1776 and also migration patterns and dynamics etc.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:32 AM

85 posts, read 154,239 times
Quote:
But you go on and on about open space and how big Australia is when the inland area is basically uninhabited!

Theres not much open space if it is uninhabitable! Not to mention the fact that it is thousands and thousands of miles from anywhere with no weather diversity.
Are you taking the ****? Do you realise just how much land that is highly habitable Australia has? Victoria is the smallest mainland state and is completely habitable and it alone is larger than the entire UK.

Also no weather diversity? Come on man. A frozen tundra is about all Australia doesn't have.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:44 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Having lived in England as a child and spending 6 months as an adult in Australia, I would say that Australia is definitely a mix between England and the USA. I also visited Botswana and South Africa and I can say that every English speaking country that I have been has developed different slang and idiomatic usage which is not understood by English speakers of other English speaking countries.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:12 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
In some ways I actually feel closer to Australians & NZ's than other countries, perhaps it's due to a sporting connection. We regularly play cricket (although at times not well - lol) against Australia and NZ, including the Ashes, we also play Rugby against them and we even drink supposedly Australian Lager (although it's actually brewed in the UK) and even have Australian theme pubs such as Walkabout. We have also always had a good deal of Australian TV exports such as Neighbours, Home & Away, Kath & Kim, Cell Block H and numerous others, and a lot of Brits have emigrated to Oz and NZ.

In terms of US Culture, it might be the dominant western culture, but in terms of sporting and other such connections I definitely feel closer to Oz and NZ. Indeed most Americans will have never heard of the mighty 'All Blacks' or the 'Wallabies'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World