Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 06:19 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDrebin View Post
Are you taking the ****? Do you realise just how much land that is highly habitable Australia has? Victoria is the smallest mainland state and is completely habitable and it alone is larger than the entire UK.

Also no weather diversity? Come on man. A frozen tundra is about all Australia doesn't have.
If it's so highly habitable why is the population only 23 million? Seriously.
Australia is nothing but a massive frying hot pan of land, the only good parts are the outer portions with the beaches and cities. Elsewhere Austrailia is full of deserts with some the worlds most dangerous animals.

Weather diversity? No, the country is warm and hot mostly with no or little snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:27 AM

85 posts, read 154,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Australia is nothing but a massive frying hot pan of land, the only good parts are the outer portions with the beaches and cities. Elsewhere Austrailia is full of deserts with some the worlds most dangerous animals.

Weather diversity? No, the country is warm and hot mostly with no or little snow.
Yeah, you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:37 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...w=1309&bih=636

Old 01-30-2014, 06:42 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:

Some of Australia is quite wet, Melbourne has a higher annual rainfall than Manchester.

There is one thing I think we can all agree on though.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:46 AM

^ I think you mean wetter than London, Melbourne is actually one of the drier capitals, although by raindays it's pretty wet.

Speaking of wet:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...e=off&tbm=isch

Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM

^ Yeah it's ironic '****' is a colloqualism for alcohol here lol.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ I think you mean wetter than London, Melbourne is actually one of the drier capitals, although by raindays it's pretty wet.

Speaking of wet:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=s...e=off&tbm=isch
It was actually Sydney and not Melbourne (so my apologies), my point being that not all of Australia has the same weather.

Sydney, Australia and Porto, Portugal both have over 50% more annual rainfall than Manchester. Milan, Bordeaux, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Boston, Miami, New Orleans also have much more rain than Manchester.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
It was actually Sydney and not Melbourne (so my apologies), my point being that not all of Australia has the same weather.

Sydney, Australia and Porto, Portugal both have over 50% more annual rainfall than Manchester. Milan, Bordeaux, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Boston, Miami, New Orleans also have much more rain than Manchester.
Yes, by amount, although amount is not the only measure of wetness. Number of days of precipitation (above 0.1 and 1.0 mm), duration of precipitation, cloudiness, temperature, evaporation rate, greenery etc all play a role. Sydney and Melbourne still have fairly temperate, humid climates, and are pretty green overall. England of course is a moist green place though, I don't think anybody would deny that.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, by amount, although amount is not the only measure of wetness. Number of days of precipitation (above 0.1 and 1.0 mm), duration of precipitation, cloudiness, temperature, evaporation rate, greenery etc all play a role. Sydney and Melbourne still have fairly temperate, humid climates, and are pretty green overall. England of course is a moist green place though, I don't think anybody would deny that.
That didn't stop the British Department of Culture, Media and Sport from using such claims in it's UK tourist drive a few years ago - LOL

Tourism drive launched by ministers claims British weather is better than many think | Mail Online

Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
That didn't stop the British Department of Culture, Media and Sport from using such claims in it's UK tourist drive a few years ago - LOL

Tourism drive launched by ministers claims British weather is better than many think | Mail Online
Well yeah it's sort of misleading to only go by amount, Sydney has more sunshine, fewer days of rain than Manchester, and more days when you can comfortably go out in light clothing. When it does rain in Sydney it does tend to be heavier though.

I will say though that for touring even in November I didn't think England was all that bad. Rain was usually drizzly, there were quite a few sunny days, and no it wasn't all that cold. I mean there are worse places, like places with arctic winters or some desert climates with scorching summers. Monsoon rains in the tropics do make travelling nigh on impossible at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World