Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:09 PM

510 posts, read 609,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Really? Most traditional americans are more like the British than australians. They share a common religion, language and culture with us.
I don't understand. Do Americans not share a common religion, language, and culture with Australians?

In fact, as both being nations of (relatively) recent European immigrants to a large "new" land, I would say that creates many cultural similarities that the UK cannot share with either. Large open lands, old-west frontier-ism, car-culture, large suburban homes, surfing and beach culture, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I don't understand. Do Americans not share a common religion, language, and culture with Australia?

In fact, as both being nations of (relatively) recent European immigrants to a large "new" land, I would say that creates many cultural similarities that the UK cannot share with either. Large open lands, old-west frontier-ism, car-culture, large suburban homes, surfing and beach culture, etc.
I agree. I have been to both the UK and Australia. The US is much more similar to Aussies in culture and disposition, lifestyle, density and diversity.

The only person who keeps pushing that the US is similar to the UK is British. And what is a "traditional American"? The phrase is something that only somebody from the UK would coin, it reeks of the old world, of fascism and of nativism, and ironically it shows what a great divergence in culture and mentality the UK and much of Europe has from the US and Australia (it is ironic because the poster used that phrase when trying to convince how British the US is).

Old 01-29-2014, 01:21 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
ROFL. I watch an Icelandic cooking show on TV. It doesn't seem "culturally different" at all - serious. And that's because...its a cooking show.
Well I was talking about the blog part that he has.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
What is a "traditional American"? Would love an explanation as an American. Thanks!
Well I was thinking about you know a white anglo from the north east

Old 01-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times
The notion of a "traditional Amurikin" is something you're more likely to hear from folks of the "Scots-Irish" (aka 'redneck') culture, usually most common in certain parts of PA, Appalachia, the South, TX, Missouri, etc.. That particular cultural branch of the "British Isles" first came here by the hundreds of thousands in the 1700's, fought a lot of our wars, have very specific 'values' including being pro-military and very 'patriotic', and rightly or wrongly, feel they have a strong 'vested interest' in this country. Many political observers have also suggested that this POV plays a strong role in the current "culture wars".

Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America, by Jim Webb

Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I don't understand. Do Americans not share a common religion, language, and culture with Australians?

Well you couldn't be talking about australia because it is very sparsley populated.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Well I was thinking about you know a white anglo from the north east
The majority of whites aren't Anglo in the Northeast, if you mean by English-descended. Nor would anyone consider them "traditional Americans". The term "Anglo" is also not used here; it's a western US thing

Old 01-29-2014, 01:33 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Such as? And I don't mean 240V electricity and driving on the left side of the road.

I've spent some time in Canada. Aus and Canada are very similar in a lot of ways.
I am going to give a bunch of examples here of why I think Australians are way more similar to the British than Canadians are, but this doesn't mean I think Australia is simply a replica of the UK without its own character. It has lots of character. More than Canada in fact.

But here are some examples of Australia being more British than Canada:

- Language: British words and British spelling dominate, whereas Canada used mostly American words with a smattering of rapidly fading Britishisms

- Schools: most Australian schoolchildren, even in public schools, wear uniforms. Canadian kids by and large do not.

- Sport(s): except for footy all of the most popular sports in Australia are derived from the UK, whereas Canadian sports are all North American

- Food: Australian food overall is much more British-influenced than Canadian food is. You eat meat pies at sporting matches, we eat hot dogs. And please don't give sushi or phô soup as counter-examples: we have that too as do the British and the Americans

- TV, movies and popular culture in general: there is much more of a conduit between the UK and Australia. Canada gets British stuff (TV, movies, celebrities) because they are popular in the States. Australia gets it directly from the UK and some British stuff that has been popular in Oz (like Eastenders) is basically unknown in Canada or the U.S. to the average person. Canadians known Simon Cowell, David Frost, Piers Morgan, Ann Robinson and Jamie Oliver because they made it in the States. They would not know them if they hadn't.

- Pub culture: present in Canada but nowhere near as common as in Oz. Canada is more "bar and grill", sports bar oriented like the States.

And yeah, now that you mention it you do drive on the left...

Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM

647 posts, read 1,217,268 times
Quote:
Well you couldn't be talking about australia because it is very sparsley populated.
We are. The US, Australia and Canada share similar density levels than any country in Europe.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The majority of whites aren't Anglo in the Northeast, if you mean by English-descended. Nor would anyone consider them "traditional Americans". The term "Anglo" is also not used here; it's a western US thing
I don't think you really understand what I'm really talking about to be honest.

You should read Mateo's post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World