Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 04:16 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times

Advertisements

No there are 3 million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 04:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
No there are 3 million
Can you elaborate which country? 3 million where?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:40 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
In the UK!!

Old 02-11-2014, 08:00 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I used to live in a neighborhood that had a lot of Muslim immigrants. They were far from upper-middle class. A lot of them were cab drivers. It was a neighborhood that had many modest 2-br. and 1-br. cottages. These people were starting from scratch, and working their way up. I wouldn't make any broad assumptions about Muslims in the US, though some come in on work visas for tech companies.
They may start off as cab drivers. But they often end up as doctors, engineers, professors, lawyers, etc.

I know quite a few Muslim Americans in my area (Washington, D.C.) who have become millionaires over the course of their careers.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Are you guys trying to troll me on this thread or what??

Muslims cannot be referred to as a region, because a Muslim can be from/born anywhere.

I'm going to play this off and assume you and mac are just trying to mess with me.
Not at all,i'm trying to explain why it is improper to confine a religion or a culture to one specific place in 2014,i also respect your point of view,even though i have reservation about it.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:10 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
They may start off as cab drivers. But they often end up as doctors, engineers, professors, lawyers, etc.

I know quite a few Muslim Americans in my area (Washington, D.C.) who have become millionaires over the course of their careers.
Yes, I don't think anyone would claim that every single Muslim in America is wealthy or middle class. However, they disproportionately represented in the upper and middle classes financially.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:37 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Not at all,i'm trying to explain why it is improper to confine a religion or a culture to one specific place in 2014,i also respect your point of view,even though i have reservation about it.

But I was saying you cannot confine a religion to a specific location

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Do you have a source ? or specific numbers ?
2010 estimates from the Pew Forum on Religion:

UK: 2,869,000 (4.6% of the population)
World Muslim Population Report - Pew Research Center

US: 2,595,000 (0.8% of the population)
World Muslim Population Report - Pew Research Center

Old 02-11-2014, 11:44 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It is somewhat surprising to me that in many places in the western world, the UK, European countries like France, the Netherlands etc., the main issue with immigration is tensions with immigrants from Muslim countries. It seems that there is a bit of this in Australia and Canada too, but not so much compared to Europe. In the USA, in particular, despite anti-immigrant sentiment in some places, there is less of a Muslim immigrant vs. non-Muslim immigrant polarization than in say, Europe. Even in the UK, there seems to be a difference between Muslim South Asians such as Pakistanis and non-Muslim South Asians like Indian Sikhs. In the US, there is a much smaller difference in assimilation between non-Muslim and Muslim immigrants.

I don't want to make this thread offensive to anyone, but I am interested in the sociological reasons why in some western countries, Muslim immigrants and their assimilation is a bigger political issue than in the USA (despite having racial, religious or immigrant tensions in other ways). The US does have problems (eg. building a mosque in Tennessee which was burned), and controversy over searching the Muslim communities in NYC for security reasons, but there is less tension in terms of the Muslim immigrants themselves not assimilating.
As others have pointed out, I would assume that part of it has to do with the fact that the US is not necessarily easy to get to for poor Muslim immigrants as the European nations are. The US has a lot of poor immigrants, but they're primarily Catholics from Latin America (most Hispanic immigrants are from Mexico, in particular).

The Muslim immigrants that the US attracts tend to be better off financially, and many of them are in the large cities and metros which are far more accepting than the small towns in "Middle America."

America does have plenty of immigration issues, however; just look at how our politicians have been handling the immigration from Latin America (again, primarily Mexico).

*Edit: I just noticed that you're from the East Coast, markovian process. You obviously know all of this then

Let's instead pretend my comment was nothing more than a general statement directed at the non-US citizens commenting then

Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 AM

326 posts, read 471,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
It is somewhat surprising to me that in many places in the western world, the UK, European countries like France, the Netherlands etc., the main issue with immigration is tensions with immigrants from Muslim countries. It seems that there is a bit of this in Australia and Canada too, but not so much compared to Europe. In the USA, in particular, despite anti-immigrant sentiment in some places, there is less of a Muslim immigrant vs. non-Muslim immigrant polarization than in say, Europe. Even in the UK, there seems to be a difference between Muslim South Asians such as Pakistanis and non-Muslim South Asians like Indian Sikhs. In the US, there is a much smaller difference in assimilation between non-Muslim and Muslim immigrants.

I don't want to make this thread offensive to anyone, but I am interested in the sociological reasons why in some western countries, Muslim immigrants and their assimilation is a bigger political issue than in the USA (despite having racial, religious or immigrant tensions in other ways). The US does have problems (eg. building a mosque in Tennessee which was burned), and controversy over searching the Muslim communities in NYC for security reasons, but there is less tension in terms of the Muslim immigrants themselves not assimilating.
the main issue with immigration in europe is with immigrants from muslim countries ?? are you referring to the same europe as i am ?? haha today the main issue with immigration in europe has got to do with the high influx of eastern europeans, and Roma gypsies that are free to live in any EU country (UK, France, Germany etc). immigration from eastern europe is uncapped and there seem to be alot of people coming, and leaching off benefits, straining public healthcare and causing wages to down.

i think tension is the wrong word. its more to do with identity. muslims in britain like to refer to themselves as "british muslims". indians in britain like to refer to themselves as "british indians".

however, both muslims and indians in the USA to refer to themselves just "american" NOT "american muslim" or "american indian".. and i think there is a good reason for that.

i reckon it is because USA is more nationalist and american muslims/indians feel insecure with their "foreign" identities because, lets be honest, being "brown" and/or "muslim-looking" (ie dressed differently, wearing a hat or a turban) was vilified after 9/11. whereas in britain, they are proud to be british however they are also just as proud of their "foreignness".

i'm pretty sure there is a similar thing going on in europe because there are several immigrant muslims that represent their nation with just as much pride as anyone else. Zinedine Zidane is probably the most notable.

Last edited by sentry12; 02-14-2014 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World