Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:05 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,277,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In America, color.

European or African immigrants can have a kid and that kid does not have the "foreigner" stigma that Asian or Latino immigrants have. I don't think an Asian or even Latino would ever feel completely at home watching historical movie of America, where everyone is white and/or black. I think there is an unwritten rule that says that people who are white, or black, are "real" Americans and that people who aren't are immigrants, regardless of what generation they are. Look at how many Asian Americans are asked if they speak Chinese even when they are born and raised here; nobody asks the white guy if he speaks Polish or the black guy if he speaks Swahili; you never see it.

I would imagine that this is the same thing in Europe, except on a much greater scale due to the lack of a history of immigration or having different races. For example, I don't think that an Arab named brown guy is ever truly viewed as completely German, and I think it is considered "wrong" or "racist" to suggest such a phenomenon exists.
Please don't drone on about things you have no idea about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 01:17 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I know of course, this case was with a muslim and it is the most numerous group here.
ok

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If you look at immigrants, most don't want to learn anything about the United States and don't want to make friends with Americans. They prefer sticking to their own people.

I dated a girl from Venezuela who was here, she never made a single friend from America.. whined about racism and just hung around with a bunch of racist Mexicans. I ran from that relationship.
Sorry,not close to reality,most of immigrant studied US history and geography in high school,way before american school start learning foreign countries history.
Most of them,dated american girls,went to jazz club,night club,getting familiar with food and traditions.

Girls are more vulnerable,more hesitant to jump into an adventure,so it's difficult to compare guys and girls on integration.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,924,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Sorry,not close to reality,most of immigrant studied US history and geography in high school,way before american school start learning foreign countries history.
Most of them,dated american girls,went to jazz club,night club,getting familiar with food and traditions.

Girls are more vulnerable,more hesitant to jump into an adventure,so it's difficult to compare guys and girls on integration.

You say not close to reality, but I'm speaking from what I come across quite often.. and I deal with Latinos quite often. I also speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese. While you might have a different opinion, to suggest I'm far from reality isn't exactly fair.

When you say studied United States history in high school, are you referring to the ones that went to high school here in the United States? Trust me, people in Latin America do not know the past of the US, most don't even know our present.

Have you spent much time in South America?

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In America, color.

European or African immigrants can have a kid and that kid does not have the "foreigner" stigma that Asian or Latino immigrants have. I don't think an Asian or even Latino would ever feel completely at home watching historical movie of America, where everyone is white and/or black. I think there is an unwritten rule that says that people who are white, or black, are "real" Americans and that people who aren't are immigrants, regardless of what generation they are. Look at how many Asian Americans are asked if they speak Chinese even when they are born and raised here; nobody asks the white guy if he speaks Polish or the black guy if he speaks Swahili; you never see it.

I would imagine that this is the same thing in Europe, except on a much greater scale due to the lack of a history of immigration or having different races. For example, I don't think that an Arab named brown guy is ever truly viewed as completely German, and I think it is considered "wrong" or "racist" to suggest such a phenomenon exists.
Well, this might become less and less of an issue as more grow up among others that look very different from themselves as well as immigrants and their descendents that look different than just blacks and whites.

Indeed some immigrant groups are younger on average, like South Asians, Middle Easterners, or some Latin Americans in the history they or their families have been in the US, compared to colonial-age whites and blacks but I'm sure they will assimilate too eventually like Southern Europeans did after people said they couldn't a century ago.

In bigger cities, or places where people are more exposed to many of diverse physical appearances, there is no longer really an idea that one look is "more American" than another.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You say not close to reality, but I'm speaking from what I come across quite often.. and I deal with Latinos quite often. I also speak fluent Spanish and Portuguese. While you might have a different opinion, to suggest I'm far from reality isn't exactly fair.

When you say studied United States history in high school, are you referring to the ones that went to high school here in the United States? Trust me, people in Latin America do not know the past of the US, most don't even know our present.

Have you spent much time in South America?
Talking about high school back home,before coming to the US,i'm also speaking from my experience and my close friends,i deal with all kind of immigrants (cubans,haitians,africans,asians,europeans),you have met a different kind of immigrants,i do speak other languages beside english.
i spent time in few places but it is not irrelevant to the issue.
Everybody's experience is different but generalizing is not close to reality.
You speak for all latinos,that's not reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World