Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:22 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times

Advertisements

Impossible to answer the OP's question without more details.

Generally speaking ...

Europe if a student or retired (wealthy), or independently wealthy if between: the key is to avoid mammoth taxation. Which country or city depends on personal interests with respect to language, culture, climate, etc.

The United States for operating one's own business, otherwise the mediocre quality of life is not worth the stress of being a low/middle level wage earner.

Latin America, on a selective basis, if moderately independently wealthy or retired. Same could probably be said for parts of eastern Asia, maybe parts of Africa.

Australia and New Zealand also sound interesting, taking the word of those who know. How are they for being a student, a wage-earner, running a business, being a retiree, independently wealthy, moderate means?

The difficulty of visa question is overblown: determination, creative or not, and money solve that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 03:28 AM

4 posts, read 30,919 times
I hope you saved a LOT of money for your hiatus? With the sinking dollar, it's not going to get easier to survive in Scandanavia or Europe. I am an American living in Germany, and it's $$EXPENSIVE$$ surviving here.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2007, 04:21 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,382 times
Unless you have strong family ties to a particular EU nation, you can count them all out. Forget Switzerland too, immigrating there is extremely difficult. Also, unless you speak a foreign language the UK and Ireland are the only realistic options. I lived in the UK before, and I would not recommend it. It's very expensive and IMHO the quality of life there is not as good as it is here.

Australia and Canada both have points systems, meaning you can obtain a visa if you match enough of their standards, i.e. have enough points. I don't know why you'd be desperate to leave the US, but I think those are probably the only realistic options.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:15 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,389 times
You know the saying "the grass is greener" Well it really does not apply. As others have stated, some parts of Europe are great but with language barriers, and the high cost of living, one can struggle. Same applies to any developed country, whether it is Canada, Ireland, Australia, UK or USA,

Old 12-26-2007, 01:31 PM

55 posts, read 252,664 times
Smile france

I live in france since I'm 6 (I lived in canada,toronto city,my family except parents of course stayed there) and it is a great place to raise children.Education is really good,even public school (there are public schools better than private),there are great cities not as big as paris and less polluated.You can live in a little village in campaign,and in a 20 min drive you are in a city like reims,and if you take the train,1h you are in paris.

Life isn't that expensive,and there is a great health system.You have a really great quality of life...

concerning switzerland it is very very expensive,but if you are wealthy it is a great place..
if you have any other questions.concerning france,ask me.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:02 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,700 times
How old have you been when living elsewhere? I would like to know how you can compare living in France to other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel210389 View Post
I live in france since I'm 6 (I lived in canada,toronto city,my family except parents of course stayed there)

Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM

55 posts, read 252,664 times
I doesn't compare france to other countries..I just give my point of view on what is life in france,I don't know if it is the best place to live,I don't think so , but I know it is a great place for children,safe and with good education .

each year I go to visit my family in toronto and I speak with my cousin everyday (she lives there) so I know a bit of what life is like there..but I never said it was a worse place to live..

I didn't compare anything..

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
Switzerland is said to have one of the highest quality of life in the world. Particularily Zurich and Geneva rank as the top two cities in the world for quality of life. Everything is so clean there, but taxes are high.
funny how many americans have such a hard time with taxes (ghasp!), socialization (grooooaaan), money for education (wha?), and an environmental/energy awareness (p-shaw). though some of the highest standards of living in the world involve higher taxes, socialization, money for education, and an environmental awareness.

what's up with that?

Last edited by hello-world; 12-27-2007 at 08:19 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 08:18 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,288,218 times
oh, never mind. i just remembered, taxes might bite into the size of the plasma screen TV we could buy as a commercial window into what we can buy next. hey - did somebody order a pizza?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
funny how many americans have such a hard time with taxes (ghasp!), socialization (grooooaaan), money for education (wha?), and an environmental/energy awareness (p-shaw). though some of the highest standards of living in the world involve higher taxes, socialization, money for education, and an environmental awareness.

what's up with that?
So true, but we don't even balk about socialized roads, subsidized parking, artificially low gas prices -- a.k.a. universal welfare for car-and-driver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World