Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better ?
Dallas 35 43.75%
Perth 45 56.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

I don't even have to look at data or anything else to know that Perth would blow away Dallas.

Just boring as hell and so hot in summer you can't even walk around. Boring because the "downtown" if you want to call it that, is just ugly office towers with nary a soul around on a weekend in July. Meanwhile Perth at least has gorgeous beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
For it's size Dallas seems kind of boring, same with Houston. I've been through Houston and it looked pretty lacklustre for a city with it's population. Sydney and Melbourne could quite easily blow those cities away in terms of culture, vibrancy, diversity.etc.

For sure I would agree with this. Those types of cities in the US are just sprawl giants. Lol at Houston bragging all the time about passing Philly in population. Can't even compare the two.

2013 population density (people per sq mi):

Dallas 3,518
Houston 3,501
Philadelphia 11,379
Boston 12,793
Chicago 11,842

Now guess which of the above are cities in the real sense, and not just suburban sprawl as far as the eye can see, with a bunch of big buildings plopped down in the middle?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah Houston is just because of Hispanics...and blacks are just Americans, anyway.

Sydney is more international, diverse, walkable, with a better downtown, beautiful, visited by way more tourists than Houston (for it's sights), better food. Just a far, far superior city. Enough with your Texas is best BS, Houston and Dallas are dumps, I wouldn't want to live there.

Lol, you are having your first encounter with something Americans have to deal with all the time. The unbelievable outsized egos of Texans in general. It is sooo tiring to hear about how wonderful Texas is and how it is the best state, etc. etc. Their state pride is moronic imo.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:21 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Yeah I get tired of hearing people complain about Texas. Well if one doesn't like it, they don't have to live here. Also I will give props to Preth, it does have a great skyline and well as beautiful beaches.

Last edited by JoninATX; 09-05-2014 at 10:32 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 10:31 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
The OP could have done Austin, TX vs. Perth. Now that would have been interesting.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM

457 posts, read 904,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
For sure I would agree with this. Those types of cities in the US are just sprawl giants. Lol at Houston bragging all the time about passing Philly in population. Can't even compare the two.

2013 population density (people per sq mi):

Dallas 3,518
Houston 3,501
Philadelphia 11,379
Boston 12,793
Chicago 11,842

Now guess which of the above are cities in the real sense, and not just suburban sprawl as far as the eye can see, with a bunch of big buildings plopped down in the middle?

Since you went to so much trouble researching cities that are not the topic of this thread, do you care to inform us the population density numbers for Perth? Thank you so very much.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Train Driver View Post
Exactly!

Look at Sydney. Excessive "diverse" immigration has turned once clean & tidy suburbs into slums resembling a warzone. Suburbs like Auburn, Lakemba, Bankstown, Cabramatta etc.

Yet look at the Sutherland Shire (southern suburbs) which is virtually all white and see all the clean tidy streets with lawns mowed, edges clipped, no smashed up cars covering the front yards etc.
Auburn, Bankstown and Lakemba are rather old suburbs. Their achitecture would date in all these years. This has nothing to do with the people dwelling in them and their race. And you're comparing lush, rich neighbourhoods (Sutherland shire) with newly built homes, to the older ones in the midwest with rather antique looking houses. How is that fair? And FYI, only Cabramatta isn't white. Lebanese and Turkish people, which make up those suburbs are as Caucasian as you are.

Heck, some neighbourhoods in the inner west (which has a predominantly white population) look rather 'slummy'. Check out these old, conjoint single-storey houses that resemble something out of a horror movie:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....a86w!2e0?hl=en

Now compare these rather claustrophobic "slums" of the above to the beautiful neighbourhoods in the outer west, where most of the people there are of Middle Eastern (Assyrian/Iranian), Indian and Asian descent:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...1632c810?hl=en

You see, I can play the 'race card' as well.

Last edited by Ethereal; 09-05-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 03:34 AM

244 posts, read 362,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
One would think that in 2014 with all this technology, a poll could have multiple columns, for example "have been to both", "have been to Perth", "have been to Dallas", "have not been to either so am talking out of...".

Those polls often boil down to which city suffers from the worst stereotype. Dallas is in Texas so other than in a thread with Phoenix, Houston, Atlanta or maybe Kandahar, it's always going to lose. The stereotype is just too strong.

Hm...wouldn't this be the reverse? I'd wager more people have actually been to Dallas rather than Perth, so Perth is more likely to suffer from stereotyping than Dallas.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 PM

124 posts, read 196,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Auburn, Bankstown and Lakemba are rather old suburbs. Their achitecture would date in all these years. This has nothing to do with the people dwelling in them and their race. And you're comparing lush, rich neighbourhoods (Sutherland shire) with newly built homes, to the older ones in the midwest with rather antique looking houses. How is that fair? And FYI, only Cabramatta isn't white. Lebanese and Turkish people, which make up those suburbs are as Caucasian as you are.

Heck, some neighbourhoods in the inner west (which has a predominantly white population) look rather 'slummy'. Check out these old, conjoint single-storey houses that resemble something out of a horror movie:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33....a86w!2e0?hl=en

Now compare these rather claustrophobic "slums" of the above to the beautiful neighbourhoods in the outer west, where most of the people there are of Middle Eastern (Assyrian/Iranian), Indian and Asian descent:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...1632c810?hl=en

You see, I can play the 'race card' as well.
Come off it! That street in Bossley Pk would be mostly whites & Italians that have been in the country for 50 years or so. Believe me I know the area well. My first 28 years were spent there.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Train Driver View Post
Come off it! That street in Bossley Pk would be mostly whites & Italians that have been in the country for 50 years or so. Believe me I know the area well. My first 28 years were spent there.
I actually live right around Bossley Park.

The suburb is mainly made up of Assyrians. Italians are the third populated group there. Other common ethnicities include Chilean, Vietnamese, Iraqi Arab and Filipino. Oh, and mind you, the suburb (as you saw in the streetview) looks rather tidy, despite its diversity.

Just because a suburb is more diverse and mixed doesn't mean that it will look rundown and slummy. It just depends on when it was built - Older suburbs; older 'slummy' homes, newer suburbs; modern nicer homes. Your example was kind of unfair because the areas you 'antagonised' are ancient in contrast to the outer west and Sutherland shire. Strathfield and Ashfield have one of the most oldest built residential and commercial areas in the west. So of course they wouldn't look incredibly tidy.

Bossley Park's demographics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bossley_Park#Demographics

Greenfield Park, Cecil Park and Prairiewood's demographics (nearby tidy-looking suburbs mainly made up of 'ethnic' people):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenf...les#Population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairi...les#Population
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cecil_...ew_South_Wales
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World