Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times

Advertisements

I read that the yellow type of school bus is an American thing.

Probably because the US is pretty suburban and there are fewer kids that can walk to school, school buses have become a strong part of American culture and the American childhood experience.

Plus, things like field trips are often taken in school buses. There is so much association with growing up and riding that old yellow bus for American kids.

School bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 07:15 PM

201 posts, read 416,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I read that the yellow type of school bus is an American thing.

Probably because the US is pretty suburban and there are fewer kids that can walk to school, school buses have become a strong part of American culture and the American childhood experience.
It works differently in Australia, even though we have the same issue of many kids not being able to walk to school.
Schools and public transport are generally both state government run. Kids get a free pass to use public transport, and the government allocates some of the cities bus fleet towards schools, which then get transferred over to city service for rush hour.
Field trips also involve charting a bus from the city fleet, or a private coach company if it's a long trip.

Here's an example, just a bus from the cities commuter fleet on school service. Once it's done dropping of kids it will be heading to the city to handle commuters. School finishes at 3pm typically.

Getting to School

The disadvantage though would be, that kids like to graffiti the back seats.. Another disadvantage is if the school is near a train station, or near other commuter bus routes. At round 3pm you can be a commuter reading a book, and then suddenly find yourself surrounded by noisy kids. The free pass kids have is applicable for all routes. I was in the Eastern Suburbs once, where a frustrated business man yelled out 'can you kids shut up and let the paying customers enjoy the ride'.

Last edited by Mornnb; 02-21-2014 at 08:01 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM

827 posts, read 865,424 times
I think we "copied" the yellow american school buses.

http://onibusbrasil.com/blog/wp-cont...z-of-1519r.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-22-2014 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
^ Some schools have school buses here in Australia, but it's not the norm. A lot of kids are dropped off by their parents, or else take public transport. We didn't have a free pass but we had a student discount/concession for bus fare.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Canada has yellow school buses that are exactly the same as those in the U.S. I think we might be the only country other than the US that has them.

We also have the special school service offered by city transit systems in some cities, and also the free student passes as well. (I had that when I was in high school.) But to my knowledge nowhere in Canada would you not have at least some of the yellow school buses.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
^ Some schools have school buses here in Australia, but it's not the norm. A lot of kids are dropped off by their parents, or else take public transport. We didn't have a free pass but we had a student discount/concession for bus fare.
Same in Brisbane, school buses are just the same ones the general public use every day. The just operate on special routes during school opening and closing times. Though it is also very common for children just to hop on public busses and trains.

When I went to primary school and lived on a farm about 30km away from my school, the education department employed independent contractors who owned buses. They came in a whole range of different shapes, sizes and colours.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,343,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Same in Brisbane, school buses are just the same ones the general public use every day. The just operate on special routes during school opening and closing times. Though it is also very common for children just to hop on public busses and trains.
Same here in Austria. At least in cities like Linz/Leonding. School-kids in Vienna just use regular public transportation or go on foot.

If you are living on the countryside, they usually use cars like a Ford Transit to get all the children to school.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Nope its common here except we use actual public buses.

OMAGH SCHOOL BUS DEPARTURES MAY 2013 - YouTube

We have a very good transport system for school buses. Even where I live a double decker bus is on my road and I live in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,069 times
We have them in the UK

First Student - About First Student UK

http://www.princehenrys.co.uk/_files...4F23E76E33.jpg

http://coachhiremanchester.com/wp-co...13/04/ysb2.jpg

http://www.showbus.co.uk/A/Ahx55aoj&h.JPG

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-22-2014 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues

Old 02-22-2014, 04:20 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
Not really lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World