Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 04:55 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times

Advertisements

I think the British will try most foods and new restaurants from different cultures are always welcome. In terms of European Cuisine French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and Turkish restaurants all do well, whilst other cultures such as Scandinavian, East European (especially Polish) and even Russian now have their own restaurants and even shops in some areas.

BBC News - Scandinavian food: Why is it becoming popular in the UK?

Last time I was in Manchester, I noticed a large Danish restaurant and bar in the Piccadilly Area, and Scandanavian and other such European foods such as Spanish Tapas have become increasingly popular.

KRO Bars Manchester

Danish Sea Platter

Last edited by Bamford; 02-22-2014 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:43 AM

4 posts, read 5,176 times
Simply because they don't quite like them.
You forgot British ,Irish, Spainish and Portuguese cuisine.
[quote=markovian process;33582189]
Why are there not more European cuisines like French, German, Austrian, Swiss, Scandinavian, Russian etc. served in restaurants in these countries? Yes, I know there are restaurants obviously from all over in these countries, but it seems proportionally fewer, relative to the size of the immigrant communities.[quote]

Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
I think the British will try most foods and new restaurants from different cultures are always welcome. In terms of European Cuisine French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and Turkish restaurants all do well, whilst other cultures such as Scandinavian, East European (especially Polish) and even Russian now have their own restaurants and even shops in some areas.

Last time I was in Manchester, I noticed a large Danish restaurant and bar in the Piccadilly Area, and Scandanavian and other such European foods such as Spanish Tapas have become increasingly popular.

KRO Bars Manchester

Danish Sea Platter
That "Danish Sea Platter" looks a lot like a meal you could eat at any number of mid market hotels and clubs across Australia, the good old weekly "seafood buffet".

Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Why would you spend a lot of money at a restaurant to eat the kind of food that your mother or grandma cooks?
So your mother cook French or Swedish food?

Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,740,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So your mother cook French or Swedish food?
The last of my ancestors to migrate to Australia did so as part of the wave of displaced people from mainland Europe immediately after WWII (in the late 1940s), so the whole concept of European food is "yeh, whatever". That's a perspective I think a lot of Aussies would have.

I find French food is OK, as long as you don't let the hype build up unrealistic expectations. But it just doesn't seem as "different" or "unique" as say Thai, Vietnamese or Japanese. Similarly, while I like Polish food and have tried Croatian they don't really stand out in any way.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:23 AM

545 posts, read 866,054 times
Because European food is integrated in American food. Most of your desserts, french fries, the way you cook your meat, soups, pastas, pizzas, sausage, bread, etc.. The vegetables and fruits that you are using are the same as Europeans. You eat with a fork and a knife. A full meal is starter, a plate, cheese and dessert. You are drinking mostly European beverages (beer, grape wine, whiskey, vodka..). All this come directly from Europe. So any European speciality seems less exotic than an Asian. And you are not going to a restaurant to eat something close to what you have at home.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,162,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
That "Danish Sea Platter" looks a lot like a meal you could eat at any number of mid market hotels and clubs across Australia, the good old weekly "seafood buffet".
They have a menu full of different Danish Food, the Sea Platter was merely an example.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...he-herring.jpg

http://static.uk.groupon-content.net...4132609970.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...piccadilly.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...bd/kro-bar.jpg

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting...jpg?1319373542

http://www.manchesterconfidential.co...DMZ/2QMB_H.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 02-24-2014 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
From the foreign cuisines thread, I notice that besides Italian and Greek cuisines, Americans, Canadians, Australians are more likely to notice Chinese, Mexican, Thai, Japanese, Middle Eastern etc. foods as topping the list of the more common ethnic cuisines in their cities.

Why are there not more European cuisines like French, German, Austrian, Swiss, Scandinavian, Russian etc. served in restaurants in these countries? Yes, I know there are restaurants obviously from all over in these countries, but it seems proportionally fewer, relative to the size of the immigrant communities.

I mean, Japanese or Thai communities aren't particularly big in many cities where Japanese and Thai food is super popular. There's got to be much larger populations of Western Europeans to get a pool of cuisines from. Do you think it is because the Western Europeans and even other Europeans arrived earlier and assimilated earlier so didn't end up starting restaurants or bringing their cuisines with them from the Old World?
Personally, I think it's because Asians open restaurants in the U.S. They emigrate and they open a restaurant for their larger community, and the native-born Americans have an interest in the Asian cuisines, so they frequent them as well.

European cuisines, probably use to be quite popular back when Europeans were everywhere in the U.S. in large numbers. These days, very few Europeans emigrate to the U.S., and the few that do, tend to blend right into the melting pot. You need a larger European community to frequent those ethnic restaurants as core customers. Plus, most Europeans are quite a bit wealthier, that they seldom emigrate just to open up a restaurant.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:21 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
I would say African food is underrepresented here. We have a lot of African immigrants and people of African ancestry, yet very few African restaurants. Ditto with Caribbean food - a lot of Caribbean immigrants, especially from Jamaica, but little Caribbean food.

We have a big Eastern European population and plenty of Polish/Lithuanian/Russian stores selling food from those countries.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,096,664 times
I see plenty of restaurants in NY that serve foods from all different European countries. British, French, Scandinavian, German, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Bosnian, Romanian. You name the country there are restaurants serving that countries food.
There are also restaurants that serve continental cuisine which is in general European food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World