Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who?
London 7 29.17%
NYC 14 58.33%
Equal or can't compare. 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:47 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times

Advertisements

Both are well-known to have immigration from the Caribbean countries, the West Indies.

Which one do you think has the stronger feel of the cultural influence from this area?

New York city no doubt has a diverse group of Caribbean immigrants, including Puerto Ricans, as well as West Indians such as Jamaicans.

London has plenty of those of Caribbean descent too, mostly former colonial West Indian immigrants, going back for quite a few decades too.

Who do you think has got more of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
When it comes to the English speaking Caribbean I think many West Indians view both as equal. When you mention "foreign" to a Jamaican for example, the places that come to mind immediately are NYC, London and to a lesser extent Miami (because we all make frequent trips there to shop)

With that said, in the UK when it comes to black culture, the Caribbean nations come to mind above all others. In NYC there is obviously a strong African-American culture present as well, so the influence culturally seems stronger in London when it comes to music, food and language especially.

As far as the Spanish speaking Caribbean nations are concerned, it is not even comparable. NYC comes out ahead of London considerably. NYC has huge, influential Puerto Rican and Dominican communities and a sizable Cuban one as well.

Overall I would give the slight edge to NYC because of the strong Latin Caribbean presence as compared to London.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:58 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Many parts of NYC has a very strong Caribbean influence.

There are even places in Brooklyn and Southeast Queens that are easily over 75% Caribbean-American.

I haven't been to London so I can't do a very accurate comparision.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:55 PM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times
I'm very familiar with New York, but not so much with London (been there once when I was a baby).

When it comes to presence, New York with without a doubt, Like Edward mention not only does it have a large English and Spanish speaking Caribbean community, it also have a large Haitian community as well.

But when it comes to cultural influence, Caribbean culture influenced London more than it did in New York.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:02 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Can't forget about the BX. The Bronx is over 50% Latino, the vast majority of them are from the Caribbean (P.R, Rep Dom). Uptown Manhattan is full of Ricans and Domincans too. There is also a significant Haitian community in NYC. The only other city that could rival or top the NYC Caribbean community is Miami, Florida.

There might be alot people from former British colonies in London, But there are alot of people from all over the Caribbean in NYC.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,055 times
NYC by a big margin.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:35 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I'm very familiar with New York, but not so much with London (been there once when I was a baby).

When it comes to presence, New York with without a doubt, Like Edward mention not only does it have a large English and Spanish speaking Caribbean community, it also have a large Haitian community as well.

But when it comes to cultural influence, Caribbean culture influenced London more than it did in New York.
Maybe it's because the Caribbean population in London was concentrated in the central parts of London, or in south London like Brixton?

Old 02-23-2014, 04:20 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe it's because the Caribbean population in London was concentrated in the central parts of London, or in south London like Brixton?
No.

Caribbean immigrants are found throughout London but there are some concentrated in Brixton, Catford, Lewisham, Harlesden and parts of Ealing, London.

I'd say NYC is ten times more Caribbean than London but for an influenced culture definitely London with the caribbean influenced speech of especially younger generations.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:30 AM

929 posts, read 1,901,856 times
Considering ONLY English-speaking Caribbeans, I'd guess that London has a bit stronger Caribbean feel in its neighborhoods with large Caribbean populations than does NYC in its neighborhoods with comparably large (English-speaking) Carribbean populations, since the English-Speaking Caribbeans in NYC may be more assimilated into black American culture...could be wrong, so anyone feel free to chime in here. I'd imagine London's Caribbean population is more along the lines of Toronto's, in that its composed largely of recent immigrants, so the "feel" is going to be stronger than in NYC, where the Caribbean groups are often located in areas with large black American population.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:46 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Considering ONLY English-speaking Caribbeans, I'd guess that London has a bit stronger Caribbean feel in its neighborhoods with large Caribbean populations than does NYC in its neighborhoods with comparably large (English-speaking) Carribbean populations, since the English-Speaking Caribbeans in NYC may be more assimilated into black American culture...could be wrong, so anyone feel free to chime in here. I'd imagine London's Caribbean population is more along the lines of Toronto's, in that its composed largely of recent immigrants, so the "feel" is going to be stronger than in NYC, where the Caribbean groups are often located in areas with large black American population.
On my take being an afro-caribbean living in London I don't think the Caribbean "feel" in London is all take strong many neighbourhoods that are associated with Caribbeans in London are mixed with Black Africans, South Asians or both so its more of a mix match of cultures sweated together.

Also caribbean people here are not really recent, while south Asians and black Africans seem to have a near constant stream of new arrivals that "pumps up" the South asianness or Black african-ness of a an area while Afro-Caribbeans are kept in the background.

However you can tell if your in an area with a large-ish Caribbean population if you see shop signs saying "Afro-caribbean grocer" a Caribbean restaurant, or obviously a Caribbean accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World