U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,456,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
The accents are of course totally different...the Nigeria accent sounds tonal, sing-songy, almost Asian (I believe many speak a tonal language...well tonal languages are common in Africa), whereas the West Indian accents are of course very different.
I have friends who are Nigerian, I've never thought of their accents as being nasal or Asian-like. However, a lot of Nigerian languages do have tones, as my friend was saying her family lives in a village near Lagos, but if you use the wrong tone, you could get taken to another place on the other side of the country.
Then again, all African accents sound very similar to me. I can hardly tell the difference between a Nigerian, Ugandan, and a Zulu accent, even though they're probably just as different as Irish, Italian, and Russian accents are if not moreso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 02:24 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,814,641 times
As far as people who look very different but share many cultural similarities- Dominicans & Filipinos. I haven't been to the Dominican Republic, but I have Filipino friends that have been and they said it was the most similar place to the Philippines that they've ever been. I've also read travel blogs that say the same

Old 05-26-2014, 02:25 AM

20,695 posts, read 19,031,231 times
African accents all sound the same to me

Old 05-26-2014, 02:13 PM

11,916 posts, read 8,250,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
They would.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:56 PM

854 posts, read 782,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
But of course.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:39 PM

7,107 posts, read 11,938,764 times
Chechens and Albanians are white and look like Europeans but culturally they are more Middle Eastern and Central Asian than anything. I'd say that Chechen culture is much more like the Afghan, Iraqi, Palestinian and Syrian cultures than the French, German, or Italian culture or even the eastern European cultures like Polish or Bulgarian. Their gender roles and their idea of warfare/suicide bombings is also decidedly Middle Eastern.

In fact Chechens are more into jihadism and sharia than Lebanon's Maronite Christians or the more secular Turkish people or the people in Dubai.

Massive differences between the black people of Bermuda which follow a very genteel British culture and the black people in places like Somalia, Congo, and Kenya.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 AM

3,236 posts, read 1,184,143 times
Arabs an Jews are closely related Semites, and speak languages that are mutually comprehensible, with a little exposure and a willingness to make the effort., but they refuse to admit it. If they dressed the same, it would be hard to distinguish them.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:41 AM

16,314 posts, read 21,841,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Yes the key word here is influence I'm pretty sure infact 200% sure that alot of African American culture is derived from Africa.

One crude example is this "twerking" I mean clearly that is similar to those dances found in the Caribbean wining which is clearly African or less your blind. Rapping, jazz and hip hop, too
Zombie thread but as a Black American I'm going to correct you. Those examples are but a tiny part of Black American culture. Black American culture is solidly a western culture complete with western religion, western cultural norms, western style cooking, thought process and beliefs.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM

16,314 posts, read 21,841,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How many black women were twerking in the 20s,30s, or 40s? I didn't hear about twerking until the late 90s, which is basically some black rappers going to some Jamaican clubs and taking their dance styles. And how is black American culture 200% African? Tell me how similar Mandingos and some black guy from NY has anything in common? And how is it possible that black Americans interacted more with Irish people in hundreds of years, yet has no cultural influence from the Irish.
Irish people come to San Diego each summer to work. I have heard them say that they see similarities in Black American culture with their own.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:49 AM

806 posts, read 486,933 times
The white part of South America and Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or