U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 10:55 AM

1,103 posts, read 554,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
As far as people who look very different but share many cultural similarities- Dominicans & Filipinos. I haven't been to the Dominican Republic, but I have Filipino friends that have been and they said it was the most similar place to the Philippines that they've ever been. I've also read travel blogs that say the same
https://www.hofstede-insights.com/pr...are-countries/ Yeah, according to this, the most similar countries to the Philippines are Malaysia, the Dominican Republic, and India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:04 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,716,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
For example, Brazilians will all share the same Carnival and dance to the samba, no matter if blond or black-haired, of Italian, African or Japanese ancestry. They will all partake in the same food, music, dance and speak the same Portuguese language no matter their looks. For Brazilians, it seems, even more than say white or black Americans, culture doesn't get too hung up or tied up to looks.
No, definitively.

It's a fact that culture in Brazil is not tied to look, but more to region. Except for the common Portuguese language, an average brazilian from Bahia has little to do with a brazilian from Santa Catarina, like an average american from Alabama has little to do with an average american from Wisconsin, if we can make a comparison.

Moreover, while it's true that samba and carnival are generally popular in Brazil, not all brazilians like this, and actually many brazilians ranging from the indifference to the aversion, to the point of saying that these cultural traits contribute to harm the image of Brazil worldwide. According to some polls, the most popular rhythm in Brazil is not samba, but sertanejo music - a musical style mixing country and pop music. But in cities like São Paulo, Curitiba and Brasília, rock and roll and hip hop are more popular amongst young people than every other thing - for not saying about Rio funk, which is popular amongst the poor people in general.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM

1,060 posts, read 697,424 times
Correct an earlier post, there were probably less than a hundred Irish in the Southern states, most were British descent, with a lot of indentured English servants. Most mixed race Americans who are part British descent would haver that mixture and not from a slave owner.

Old 10-08-2018, 01:54 PM

1,060 posts, read 697,424 times
I would say that the British look similar to most Scandinavians, but are culturally different: Brits have a chatty pub culture and a strong music scene ( unique really) while the Scandinavians are very much into stripping off outdoors and plunging into cold water, prone to too much melancholy and very left wing majority, while surprisingly I think we( Britain- mainly England /Wales) are culturally nearer to a country like Chilie (which has a large British blood line, and poss Argentina) thinking music, football passion. liking a drink and a tendency for fighting.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:10 AM

3,236 posts, read 1,184,143 times
An often overlooked fact is that while Filipinos are of the East Asian ethnic type, the Philippines is the only Christian nation in Asia, which is strongly reflected in their laws and social customs,

Old 10-11-2018, 10:25 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,483,973 times
Bulgaria looks similar to Russia but different in culture, mentality etc., I say we're more similar to distant Asian countries that are behind economically like Mongolia or Kazakhstan or if it wasn't for developed capitalism: Korea.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 PM

330 posts, read 123,007 times
Filipinos & Timor Leste ( culturally similar but different in looks )
Indonesian & Filipinos ( similar in looks , but very different in culture )

Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 AM

1,107 posts, read 341,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
One could say the same about the US, Australia, Canada.etc which have people from all over the world sharing a similar culture (depending on how integrated they are). The US is the best example of this I would say.

In Central Asia many Turkic people look more East Asian but their culture seems more aligned with the Middle East.
Most Central Asians are in fact part East Asian (i.e. Mongol). They do have East Asian (Mongol) culture, but of course they're Muslim hence the Middle Eastern connection.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:56 AM

8,340 posts, read 12,814,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Armenians and Georgians share a similar culture to the lower Middle Eastern people like Iraqis, Jordanians and Lebanese (in music mostly) but they're different looking to them (on average).

Armenian man (on average they're more 'light' featured, similar to Russians, quite to the contrary that they are dark like the Kardashians):

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5...vu5zo1_500.jpg

Iraqi man (darker overall):

http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/-image...-08-160355.jpg

Lebanese man (now they look 'Mediterranean'):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Fw53WIXrvL...e%2Bnader1.jpg
Iraqis are lighter from what I have seen. My husband is one. He & his entire family are all light-skinned.

it may depend where in Iraq one is from, but to say overall they are 'darker' isn't correct ...

Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 AM

1,103 posts, read 554,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
An often overlooked fact is that while Filipinos are of the East Asian ethnic type, the Philippines is the only Christian nation in Asia, which is strongly reflected in their laws and social customs,
So in your opinion, which country is the culturally closest to the Philippines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or