Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:49 AM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepillow View Post
Or should I say how do people appreciate humour where you live? In Singapore, it's slapstick humour or nothing. Punch, kick, slap, wobble wobble, fall -- followed by rapturous laughter. If you have ever had the chance to watch a movie here and an intelligent comedic line comes on, be ready for deafening silence and a few crickets.

So, what's the situation like where you are?
I noticed that in South Korea as well. Much of Asia, actually.

Vietnam really summed it up for me. I went to some random place, can't recall why I was there, but one of the side things was a bear on a bicycle. The locals were howling with laughter watching a bear on a bike and if it fell or did anything that looked painful, the laughter really went up.

Meanwhile, every white person was in complete and utter shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 03:56 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,685,265 times
I disagree...I find Singaporeans a humourous and funny, bunch, and it's not just slapstick. You must be familiar with the TV sitcom 'Under One Roof':

Under One Roof - The Great Currypuff Takeover - YouTube

It was pretty funny/witty haha...

Also this:

Ang Mo vs Singaporean - YouTube

Just listening to Singlish can be a humorous experience, how they talk and what they say. My friend found it rather hilarious but endearing lol.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 AM

5,017 posts, read 7,437,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Yet pretty much all of the popular comedies we watch are from the US.
You are obviously a lot younger than me, I grew up on Benny Hill, Monty Python,Fawlty Towers, Keeping up Appearances, The Vica of Dilby etc and from an Australian Perspective love anything from the crew at the D generation.

Outside of the Simpsons, and now I think of It Married with Children, I have never really liked american Comedy.

Do you think a Classic Aussie Comedy like The Castle, would be understood by Americans?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-24-2014 at 04:20 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 04:09 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,685,265 times
^ Both American and British comedy, and Aussie comedy, is popular here. Lately though it seems there aren't many good ones on: you know it when the most popular is The Big Bang Theory and you have awful shows like 'Two Broke Girls' on.

Just recently the IT Crowd is one good one among many great British comedies.

For some reason Aussie sitcoms didn't really last the test of time, there was Hey Dad...Australian humour tends to be low-brow, not always particularly intelligent, a lot of panel/skit type shows, from Full Frontal/Fast Forward to a spate of them about 10 years ago. Of course there's the observational humour of Kath'n'Kim and Chris Lily's various projects.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:18 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,818,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I disagree...I find Singaporeans a humourous and funny, bunch, and it's not just slapstick. You must be familiar with the TV sitcom 'Under One Roof':

Under One Roof - The Great Currypuff Takeover - YouTube

It was pretty funny/witty haha...

Also this:

Ang Mo vs Singaporean - YouTube

Just listening to Singlish can be a humorous experience, how they talk and what they say. My friend found it rather hilarious but endearing lol.
How can I not know the sitcom Under on roof ?? But all this are all just made for entertainment purposes .. Doesn't very much show the real life of locals ..

Outsiders may find our Singlish funny, but for us we use and hear it so often so the "humour " aspect is gone too

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,732,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You are obviously a lot younger than me, I grew up on Benny Hill, Monty Python,Fawlty Towers, Keeping up Appearances, The Vica of Dilby etc and from an Australian Perspective love anything from the crew at the D generation.

Outside of the Simpsons, and now I think of It Married with Children, I have never really liked american Comedy.

Do you think a Classic Aussie Comedy like The Castle, would be understood by Americans?
Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers..I Googled those, and yes they are before my time.

But today shows like Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother are pretty much the comedy centre of gravity. Even reaching back into the 90s it seemed all Seinfeld, Cheers, the Simpsons, Friends, Murphy Brown and the like.

The Castle? Would anyone other than Aussies really understand that? It is pretty dated though.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:23 AM

5,017 posts, read 7,437,254 times
Quote:

But today shows like Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother are pretty much the comedy centre of gravity. Even reaching back into the 90s it seemed all Seinfeld, Cheers, the Simpsons, Friends, Murphy Brown and the like.

The Castle? Would anyone other than Aussies really understand that? It is pretty dated though.
Yep it is getting dated and I doubt it would receive the same reception in 2014 as it did when it was released. However it is classic example of unique Australian Comedy, which I believe the OP is looking for?

How about a more modern example like Rake, which certainly has comedy elements to it. They are actually remaking it for the US market, It will be interesting to see how it goes and how the US version differs from the Australian version.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:25 PM

156 posts, read 286,344 times
Quote:

I adore British comedy. 'Fawlty Towers' 'Mind Your Language' and 'Keeping Up With Appearances' are some of my absolute favourites. Regrettably, I was introduced to these shows only with the advent of the Internet. They were probably aired on TV in my country but I wasn't of the right age to appreciate them. When I was a child, the kind of humour I was more familiar with could be found in 'The Simpsons' and I thought it was the epitome of saracasm.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 PM

108 posts, read 153,199 times
Where I'm from, our humor seems to be very negative, sarcastic, and rude.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:22 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,397,688 times
What's humour like in your country?

Probably no different from your country, people laugh at things they find funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World