U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-10-2010, 08:08 AM

6,245 posts, read 3,646,549 times
ok then violence is just murder then, simple as that. they people with razor slashes down there face in glasgow (tens of thousands of young glasweegian have facial scares, because the scottish see this as a mark for life) and the tens of thousands of young belfast and londonderry men who have there kneecaps shattered, because of the irish punishment beating, and all the people who receive serious assaults doesnt count because its not murder ??

Unread 12-10-2010, 08:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 979,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
ok then violence is just murder then, simple as that. they people with razor slashes down there face in glasgow (tens of thousands of young glasweegian have facial scares, because the scottish see this as a mark for life) and the tens of thousands of young belfast and londonderry men who have there kneecaps shattered, because of the irish punishment beating, and all the people who receive serious assaults doesnt count because its not murder ??
we have all that in the states but a lot of it goes unreported because there's a huge distrust of police in the inner city and if you get assaulted by a gangbanger and you snitch then that's only going to make things a lot worse for you.

Unread 12-14-2010, 11:57 AM

9,684 posts, read 10,713,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Malmö in Sweden is pretty rough nowadays.
I don't know an exact number but I'm sure they've had over 100 shootings (not all victims dead) so far this year, the city population is only 250,000.
I've heard the police wont even go into parts of that city if they can avoid it. Just a good example of what "diversity" gets you: a bunch of unemployable, unemployed, non local language speaking bums that eat up local resources and commit crime.

I think a lot of countries need to start rethinking their immigration policies.

Unread 12-14-2010, 12:03 PM

9,684 posts, read 10,713,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I have many UK based friends and they all report that the UK is fairly dangerous now with heaps of car thefts, robberies, beatings, theft and so on.

No doubt the USA has some dangerous neighborhoods, but in the UK you have a much better chance of getting beat up by chavs or other dirtbags and the police are rather powerless to help.

People complain about the so called high prison population in the USA. Fine by me because we put the bad guys away for good. Most states have 3 strikes(3 serious felonies) and you are out for life. I'm all about giving chances but at some point you have to call time and lock up repeat offenders for good. So sad too bad.

Unread 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM

read these 3 articles, and if people still dont think britain is as violent, maybe not as murderous (reason:lots of firearms) you need your head testing

The Scar on the Face of Scotland: Deprivation and Alcohol-Related Facial Injuries in Scotland - Enlighten

BBC News | UK | Hunt for 'punishment beating' gang

1,000 London teenagers hurt by guns and knives this year | News

Unread 12-14-2010, 04:11 PM

london evening standard summer last year:

''More than a thousand teenagers and children are expected to be injured in knife and gun attacks in London this year.The figures reveal the full extent of the scourge of gun and knife crime sweeping London.While a total of 17 teenagers have been killed in the capital in the first four months of this year''

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:01 PM

5,511 posts, read 5,789,323 times
Well that kind of emphasizes the point. If Chicago (a much smaller city than London, and not nearly the most violent city in the US) managed to "only" have 17 teenagers killed over the course of 4 months, that would be considered a tremendous victory by the mayor and police.

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 979,672 times
paul, inner city neighborhoods in american cities don't report violence as much as european cities. the only truly reliable violent crime stat is the murder rate. you're taking a news story and using its info. but its info is skewed. they only go by reported crimes, not reality.

your little stats on the uk are not that bad. 1,000 isn't that high when we have 500 in chicago getting killed every year and then thousands more taking bullets and surviving and thousands more getting stabbed every year there and thousands more getting jumped by another gang member. if you're from a rival gang's neighborhood and yet not even in a gang, you're still taking a risk walking in that hood because they know where you're from. they know each other, a lot of them went to school together. there are kids who are best friends in elementary school here and then grow up in two different gangs hoods and then jump each other after school and pull drive bys on each other. then when they get caught, they're stuck trying to survive a day in prison here getting shanked and jumped.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-14-2010 at 07:55 PM..

Unread 12-15-2010, 03:41 PM

you show me a stat on any us city that states, theres been more than 17 murders on 18s and under in 4 months and i will believe you, and anyone that thinks thats not seriously violent is away with the fairies, 17 murders on under 18s in 4 months is as bad as you'll get, if you can show me another developed city with as many teenagers murdered in such a small space of time, ill hold my hands up

Unread 12-15-2010, 04:31 PM

4,148 posts, read 2,806,979 times
In 2009 in New York there were 466 "slayings", which apparently is their lowest on record. It doesn't give the age figures but that's 155 every four months, so the figure for teenagers would be substantially more than 17. The figure for this year will apparently be higher.

Spike in killings and shootings around the city has New Yorkers worried

In London in 2008 there were 170 murders, no more or less than in an average year. I'd say our hysterical tabloid newspapers going on and on about how our society is doomed just because somebody has been killed (as if that's a new thing...) has a lot to answer for as far as fear-mongering is concerned.

London Murder Rate Not Going Up

The murder rate in UK cities is not in the same league as US cities but in most towns and cities on Friday/Saturday nights there is small-scale fighting and disorder and with our densely packed cities you can't buy your way out of poverty. Wherever you live in London you are not far from rough neighbourhoods so I'd suggest with that and the nature of our press coverage the average person here has more fear of violence than in the US. I live in big scary London where half the rest of the country believes we have stabbings on every street corner but the worst I've personally seen is a car window being smashed and your typical pub brawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.