Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best integration?
NYC 19 32.76%
London 12 20.69%
Toronto 22 37.93%
Sydney 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 07:32 PM

613 posts, read 1,161,276 times

Advertisements

People have debated which cities are more diverse, but since these cities are all diverse, I would like to ask a different question of how well integrated the diversity is, rather than segregated or having the groups just live and socialize among each other.

So how not just how multicultural the place as a whole is, but does the average citizen feel comfortable walking around in every neighborhood, where people don't feel awkward sticking out in one neighborhood. People of all backgrounds are willing to take up culture from all other people in this kind of city, so a black Muslim person would just feel as comfortable celebrating Passover with a Jewish friend, or an Indian would share a meal with their Polish friend at a Japanese restaurant etc.

I am asking because I hear that sometimes multiculturalism comes with the downside that people stick to their own cliques. This can be because of a history of young (eg. new immigrant) or old segregation (eg. African-American experience), both of which need to be overcome. Even in one of the threads on immigration, it was mentioned that black Muslims often feel separate from newer immigrant Muslim communities in NYC.

In which city do you think achievement in this regard is the best?

I know there still are some tensions with either new immigrants or old established groups, such as Sydney's Cronulla beach, but things are getting better. NYC had its race riots in the past too. I don't really know much about the history of race riots in Toronto or London, since the riots I hear about in London are not race-related, and Toronto also seems new to immigration too. One thing that seems to suggest London's integration is pretty good is the fact that there is a new dialect called Multicultural London English that people of all races speak, which seems to imply that kids are growing up used to picking up slang from diverse friend groups.

Out of the big four who would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 PM

26,765 posts, read 37,673,521 times
For harmony, gotta go with Toronto. Integration (not the same thing in my mind) is touchier and less obvious to pin down. Toronto would not be at the top of the list for integration.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:40 PM

108 posts, read 153,142 times
I voted for Toronto also, there immigration is new or recent and is heavy, NYC immigration seems to be based in only certain areas due to the long establishment of each culture for decades.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM

9,744 posts, read 20,672,375 times
Sydney - yes and no. I mean the new generation mixes etc, but you still have tensions between say the Lebanese and Anglos - some of them, e.g. the Cronulla riots. I still feel things are getting better with the new generation, although there seems to be more of a consciousness of ethnic/class divides in Sydney than Melbourne, although it exists in Melbourne too.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,720,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Sydney - yes and no. I mean the new generation mixes etc, but you still have tensions between say the Lebanese and Anglos - some of them, e.g. the Cronulla riots. I still feel things are getting better with the new generation, although there seems to be more of a consciousness of ethnic/class divides in Sydney than Melbourne, although it exists in Melbourne too.
I've noticed improvement on the integration front in Toronto as well - especially with those in their 20's and 30's... they just don't seem to have the same hangups about anything 'different' than those who are in their 40's and above. Even in my workplace (I've been in my company 11 years) - I find there are far more individuals coming into the company of various ethnicities than even a decade ago and everyone gets along very well. Its an area that can always improve but i'm really hopeful and encouraged by what I've seen in such a short span of time.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:59 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,247,998 times
I've never been to Sydney, so I can't comment, but have spent a considerable amount of time visiting and living in the other three.

For racial harmony, I would probably go with 1st London, 2nd Toronto, 3rd NYC

For racial integration, 1st NYC, 2nd London, 3rd Toronto

I think all three actually score well when it comes to racial harmony, but London and Toronto still seem to have less tensions overall than NYC. When it comes to true integration, especially when it comes to seeing people of colour and recent immigrants in professional and political positions of power. I think NYC is the only one that can truly say they have made alot of progress. London and Toronto have a long way to go.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

108 posts, read 153,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I've never been to Sydney, so I can't comment, but have spent a considerable amount of time visiting and living in the other three.

For racial harmony, I would probably go with 1st London, 2nd Toronto, 3rd NYC

For racial integration, 1st NYC, 2nd London, 3rd Toronto

I think all three actually score well when it comes to racial harmony, but London and Toronto still seem to have less tensions overall than NYC. When it comes to true integration, especially when it comes to seeing people of colour and recent immigrants in professional and political positions of power. I think NYC is the only one that can truly say they have made alot of progress. London and Toronto have a long way to go.
I agree there is a lot of tension between the police spying on the muslims, but I mean what can you say, the muslims blew up two buildings and they actually wanted to build a mosque right next to it, then they got mad because New Yorkers didn't want the mosque next to 9/11. Then we have the hispanics and blacks who are not actually racist they just have hate for each other if there in a gang. But overall everyone is pretty accepting.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,755,572 times
I voted London; I've been there and NYC and Toronto, but haven't been to AU yet. I've met Australians from Sydney and Melbourne who are ethnically Middle Eastern, Central Asian, South Asian, and of course South/East Asian, but I've never met a black Australian. Most of them have seemed very well-integrated and are proud to be Australian. Meanwhile, I've got friends from Brisbane and Adelaide who have said that the racial harmony there is less than ideal and have stories to back it up; one of my exes who's half Chinese visited AU and experienced a few instances of racism from people while she was there. Of course that doesn't sum up a whole country, and it's in direct conflict with what I've heard from other people from there...

NYC is diverse, but not very integrated. It's got many things going for it - its upper class is much more diverse than you'll find in most of the rest of the US, for example. But neighborhoods are still split upon racial/ethnic lines in many areas, and the NYPD engages in sanctioned, openly racist policies that can make it a very unwelcoming place for black and hispanic people, even though they make up huge swaths of its population.

I voted London overall - basically every group is represented there to some extent or another, and for the most part, they're fairly well integrated with one another, and I felt few racial tensions when I was there.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:56 PM

11,233 posts, read 16,345,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
I agree there is a lot of tension between the police spying on the muslims, but I mean what can you say, the muslims blew up two buildings and they actually wanted to build a mosque right next to it, then they got mad because New Yorkers didn't want the mosque next to 9/11. Then we have the hispanics and blacks who are not actually racist they just have hate for each other if there in a gang. But overall everyone is pretty accepting.

Well, that's not very fair, now is it?

Now, I can understand how New Yorkers would feel at that time, but it was a couple radical islamists that "blew up" the WTC (not 9/11. You can't blow up a date on the calender).

The folks who wanted to build their mosque, no matter where it is, are citizens of the United States of America, plain and simple.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 02-27-2014 at 12:04 AM..

Old 02-28-2014, 03:56 PM

204 posts, read 414,756 times
Sydney. There are very few problems with integration, and no 'slum' ethnic areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post

So how not just how multicultural the place as a whole is, but does the average citizen feel comfortable walking around in every neighborhood, where people don't feel awkward sticking out in one neighborhood. People of all backgrounds are willing to take up culture from all other people in this kind of city, so a black Muslim person would just feel as comfortable celebrating Passover with a Jewish friend, or an Indian would share a meal with their Polish friend at a Japanese restaurant etc.
^This completely applies to Sydney, there is a true sense of harmony. In fact people often visit ethnic district for food tours, nobody sees say for example Little Saigon or Arab areas as potentially dangerous, but rather as interesting areas to explore. Sydney is a very comfortable melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World