Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Never assume because a country is smaller than the US that that gives the US an advantage. The UK has claimed so much land back in the day. They were the boss of all bosses. Lest you all forget that they at one time controlled the US before the Revolutionary War. UK.As a side note US defense is the best but not the largest. I believe China or North Korea has the largest military
Well yeah, but that was the past. England is smaller and would not be able to win a war against the US. If it came down to it, USA could make the UK not even exist on the map in about 20 minutes.

Both China and North Korea don't have the technology to wage war with the US.. but a war with the US and China on opposing sides would be a scary day for both countries. I hope I never have to see that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:46 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
We's cousins. Cousins don't fight, cousins hug.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjake View Post
Say (no, this is not real) the US and UK bombed each other. Who do you think would win. British has the worlds highest trained troops...but US has destroyed Britian numerous times in the old days. Who do you think would win?

The US has destoryed the UK, numerous times?

When were those times, exactly?

1776 (destroyed is a really, really a questionable term), and......when, exactly?

Because in 1812, if you wouldn't mind remembering, the USA lost that fight.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM

209 posts, read 160,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus_Hewitt View Post
Never assume because a country is smaller than the US that that gives the US an advantage. The UK has claimed so much land back in the day. They were the boss of all bosses. Lest you all forget that they at one time controlled the US before the Revolutionary War. UK.As a side note US defense is the best but not the largest. I believe China or North Korea has the largest military

I'll agree about never assuming a small country not having an advantage. Look at the Six Day War between Israel versus Egypt, Jordan, and Syria. Israel won decisively.

Brits and Americans will be friends for the unforeseeable future but for the sake of this post, Britain would get killed, specially if nuclear weapons are involved based on what OP said about bombing each other. Britain will definitley inflict some damage but if it's an all out free for all, the US would unleash nuclear ballistic missles left and right, launch nukes submarine style. If that's not enough, take out enemy radar with stealth bomber's which can carry nuclear weapons as well, then send out the shear tonnage of either conventional bunker blaster bombs or nukes again by carpet bombing 24/7 with B-52's with conventional bombs or nukes. Britain will inflict serious damage on the East coast of the US for sure. NYC will probably be wiped out if the Brits launch first, but if that happens there will be nothing left of Britain as we know it today.
Actually, no one really wins when nuclear weapons are involved, it's who loses worse and in this case Britain would.

I mean, look what Germany did to Britain in WW2 without nuclear weapons. Look what the US did to Japan in Nagasaki and Hiroshima with nuclear weapons. If push comes to shove and it's an all out bomb fest, the US will unleash as if there's no tomorrow, hands down US wins for the sake of the argument.
But going back to the Revolutionary Days isn't helping your cause either. Did you forget who won the Revolutionary War?

The US may not have the largest military but it is one of the best trained. China has a larger military as far as number is concerned but are not well trained. But, when you have nuclear weapons that can blow up the world many times over, you don't need a military the size of China. That's what makes the nuclear weapon a game changer and when a country has lots of it.

But of course, this will not happen because the US and Britain are bff

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 PM

You know, if the US really wanted to show what it was made of, they wouldn't even use nukes. What a puss way to do things.

See how easy it is to land troops on the island with 63 million pissed off Brits.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Since this thread is pure fantasy, I'd say that Britain's use of James Bond would probably be the deciding factor in their victory. They've also got that bloke from the Transporter films and Idris Elba as Luther.

The US is decidedly void of good action heroes these days, we have to settle for the ghost of Lee Marvin leading some sort of Dirty Dozen type group.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I'd rather that us Anglo countries get together and take over the world...

Old 02-26-2014, 11:42 PM

296 posts, read 469,000 times
Israel doesn't count. Israel has, many times in the past, overcome disproportionately greater numerical odds with surprising efficiency. Call it a fingerprint of the transcendental, call it unbelievably good fortune, but it is, for whatever reason, an exceptional military tradition.

That said, were it to come to a conventional war, the completely unqualified armchair general in me speculates that the UK would overperform compared to its tangible resources and surprise the US by causing it far more trouble than it expects - leading to considerable shame and embarrassment (that's been happening a lot to the US lately, so why not continue the trend).

I don't think the UK military would be obtuse enough to throw everything into a direct conflict, but would use hit-and-runs against the weakpoint of the US military - its grotesquely cumbersome logistics tail - and try to force a stalemate through deft political maneuvering.

I suspect there are many many nasty things a small, highly professional military force could do to a jaded military machine accustomed to winning only set piece 'limited objectives' conflicts where it has plenty of time to mobilize and prepare against qualitatively inferior enemies using obsolete weapons. Those seem to be the only kind the US tends to win with any consistency.

Last edited by BennyBucks; 02-27-2014 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So, Canada, USA, UK, Aus/NZ....vs?

Yeah, I'm good with that. lol I think we'd do alot of damage.

Heck, let's just go at it ourselves. Canada and the US. Why the hell not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWe-7jiv_h8

Old 02-26-2014, 11:48 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Culturally that is sort of happening, or has been happening for the past 60 or more years. From Hollywood, Rock'n'Roll and the British Invasion and of course the English language itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World