Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Personal Freedom - what country gives you the most?
United States 20 20.41%
Canada 15 15.31%
Sweden 3 3.06%
Norway 2 2.04%
Australia 2 2.04%
Japan 1 1.02%
China 0 0%
Russia 0 0%
France 0 0%
Germany 2 2.04%
New Zealand 8 8.16%
The Netherlands 14 14.29%
Brazil 0 0%
Mexico 2 2.04%
Italy 0 0%
Greece 0 0%
Thailand 1 1.02%
Spain 1 1.02%
Denmark 1 1.02%
Austria 1 1.02%
Switzerland 3 3.06%
Ireland 1 1.02%
Hungary 0 0%
Czech Republic 0 0%
Another country 21 21.43%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:17 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I've gone to plenty of bars in Detroit, and have only been carded a handful of times. You're probably not going to get into a bar here in Windsor without getting carded, either. Too many young Americans coming over.
I never get asked of ID here in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as well. I do get asked in the US about 95 percent of the time. I'm in my 50's !!!

I remember being in a BC gov't liquor store here in Vancouver a few years ago, when a young looking, but obviously over 19 American guy said to the cashier " aren't you going to card me? ".
Her response, " don't flatter yourself. "

On a side note, we here in B.C., at least when I was growing up, never used the term "carded" that was strictly an American term. I see you use it, is it also Ontarian?

Another side note LOL. I don't go clubbing anymore, but I have heard that some clubs now demand ID and scan them. In my opinion they were sold a bill of fear. Anyway these clubs obviously will ask everyone for ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
What is with some peoples obsession over equality for minorities/gays? No one is forcing you to live where you do. I don't travel in foreign lands and complain over "mistreatment".
This is not a good argument. Everyone deserves to be equal. Accepting inequality based on geography is immoral.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:39 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
On a side note, we here in B.C., at least when I was growing up, never used the term "carded" that was strictly an American term. I see you use it, is it also Ontarian?

I dunno about Ontario, but it's definitly a Windsor thing. We do all sorts of things different than the rest of Canada, that have heavy American influence. Makes sense though, being plungged so deep into America as we are. I mean, heck, I have to look north to see Detroit.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
What is with some peoples obsession over equality for minorities/gays? No one is forcing you to live where you do. I don't travel in foreign lands and complain over "mistreatment".
In your mind, minority = foreign born? London is only 45% White British, but over 60% are British citizens by birth. I'm not even sure why you included gays as part of your argument, since gays are not an immigrant group.

Last edited by Rozenn; 04-20-2014 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 04-20-2014, 03:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,259 times
Canaduh.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:49 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
I never get asked of ID here in Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal as well. I do get asked in the US about 95 percent of the time. I'm in my 50's !!!

I remember being in a BC gov't liquor store here in Vancouver a few years ago, when a young looking, but obviously over 19 American guy said to the cashier " aren't you going to card me? ".
Her response, " don't flatter yourself. "

Another side note LOL. I don't go clubbing anymore, but I have heard that some clubs now demand ID and scan them. In my opinion they were sold a bill of fear. Anyway these clubs obviously will ask everyone for ID.

In the US police are tripping over themselves to run sting operations on grocery clerks, convenience store clerks, and bar workers to sucker them into selling booze or smokes to an underage buyer. It's a way for them to make money. You send out a cop and an underage police cadet to 30 stores in a night, and if 5 of them bite, you just made $5 grand for a night's worth of work. Store is fined, and the clerk is fined and probably loses his job.

In Canada they tax you to the hilt, so they don't need to resort to such sleazeball tactics. I'm not sure that one approach or the other offers more freedom, but if I had to pick, I would prefer the Canadian version.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:31 PM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
This is not a good argument. Everyone deserves to be equal. Accepting inequality based on geography is immoral.
And people deserve their native lands & cultures

Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
And people deserve their native lands & cultures
So you're fine with cultures that stone women to death for adultery? Kill gay people etc.
There are, and should be international standards for human rights. Otherwise, the day they come for you, there won't be anyone left to stop them.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times
I think this site does a great job on ranking freedom. This year, the United States has fallen out of the top ten. Index of Economic Freedom: Promoting Economic Opportunity and Prosperity by Country

Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
People in third world countries have a huge amount of freedom. Taxes are low, the government basically leaves them alone, the police are virtually non-existent, or if present, they just live on small bribes and you pay them to leave you alone if what you are doing is not authorized. There are no regulatory agencies, nobody needs a license or permit to do anything, there is s level of free enterprise that Americans can't even imagine. You want to open a barber shop, you set a chair in the street and stand there with a pair of clippers. You want to sell eggs, you buy a few chickens and fence them in in your yard, and take the eggs to the market. You want to run a bus line, you buy a discarded American school bus and drive down the street yelling out the name of the town you're going to. You want a CD or a video, they're pirated, buck apiece.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2014 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World