Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:17 PM

24 posts, read 30,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
your post drips resentment.

and how one gets to be considered white?
resentment? to who or from what?

I was born and raised in a south american country. I've visited and traveled many of them. How could someone like you, unless you were in the same conditions that I was, have the nerve to defy what I say about my own culture?

Unless you were born and raised in south america, how could you possibly know what the real mentality over there is?

I've seen it and lived it.

How does one get to be considered white? Simple, hispanic is not a race and as such, if any of them looks "white", then they are. No such thing as a "pure" white person. Every single white american, is not fully white either. If you look white, by definition and society's standards, you are considered white.

Hispanic is simply an ethnicity that refers to a group of people who share the same language (spanish), culture, customs, etc. Anyone can be hispanic. Even a Bruce Lee lookalike, could be hispanic.

Last edited by my95tsi; 02-20-2017 at 04:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 PM

11,561 posts, read 9,263,948 times
Depends on where you go. In the Southern Cone people are not really "latinos" by traditional meaning of the word, most people there have grandparents from Germany or Italy or Spain. You can't blame them for not relating to Latin America, they don't have any indigenous ancestry, what are they supposed to relate to? Puerto Rico tries to be like Spain too much, actually the Andalucian and Puerto Rican accents are very similar

But if you go outside the Southern Cone, you will see a lot less of this happening. In Peru if anything people will try to show off their Japanese last name, and while nobody walks around proudly announcing their indigenous roots, in general you will see that the indigenous parts of Peru, like Cuzco/Arequipa/Iquitos, they have a very good reputation. It's obvious in many countries like Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, the people they are very proud of where they come from

Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,422,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
In the Southern Cone people are not really "latinos" by traditional meaning of the word, most people there have grandparents from Germany or Italy or Spain. You can't blame them for not relating to Latin America
Of course they are latinos... Latin America is called like this for being colonized by latinos countries...
The indigenous were not latino, they have been conquered by them

Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 AM

4,093 posts, read 3,669,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Of course they are latinos... Latin America is called like this for being colonized by latinos countries...
The indigenous were not latino, they have been conquered by them
Exactly, if anything they're more Latin American. Especially with the Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and French ancestry. I wouldn't include Chile in this, their European heritage is overstated and even countries like Brazil, Colombia, Venezuela and Costa Ricans can claim more European heritage than Chileans who have quite a lot of Native American ancestry in their mix even as they try hard to disassociate from it.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 02-21-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2017, 07:25 AM

983 posts, read 861,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Becase there is this absurd principle which states that someone with Italian grandparents without living in Italy, without speaking Italian or working in Italy can have the citizenship.
To the same extent, I do not consider "Italian" all "Italian-Americans" whose only Italian thing is their surname.
Italy had the obligation of support us abroad that’s the point. Millions of people here in Sao Paulo so in Southern Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina have the 4 grandparents Italians yet.

We are just the second generation born here so imagine if in these countries happen a wave of xenophobia against Italians-Brazilian people for example?? Or some dictatorship wants kill all of us how Hitler wanted kill all the Jews??

How we are ethnic from another country living here it is not impossible of happen at least in the LAST CENTURY after WWII it was really a concern, looking what happened with Jews, Volga Germans in Russia and many other ethnic foreigner who lived abroad. Because that was given double citizenship for immigrants kids and grandsons.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM

867 posts, read 899,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Depends on where you go. In the Southern Cone people are not really "latinos" by traditional meaning of the word, most people there have grandparents from Germany or Italy or Spain. You can't blame them for not relating to Latin America, they don't have any indigenous ancestry, what are they supposed to relate to? Puerto Rico tries to be like Spain too much, actually the Andalucian and Puerto Rican accents are very similar

But if you go outside the Southern Cone, you will see a lot less of this happening. In Peru if anything people will try to show off their Japanese last name, and while nobody walks around proudly announcing their indigenous roots, in general you will see that the indigenous parts of Peru, like Cuzco/Arequipa/Iquitos, they have a very good reputation. It's obvious in many countries like Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, the people they are very proud of where they come from
Southern Cone is just a geographical term, it doesnt have any meaning beyond that. Culturally, demographically, economically, politically speaking, "Southern Cone" countries have nothing more in common than what they would have with other Latin American countries.

These countries still have strong Indigenous heritage. Mate is an indigenous beverage. Tango is Afro-Indigenous-European music. Curanto, locro... etc, indigenous food. Genetically speaking, the average Argentinian is like 25% indigenous.

Most people in Latin America have Spanish heritage. Most people don't have any German heritage outside of a few towns (not even regions) and, in Chile in particular, most people don't have any Italian heritage (for one, Venezuelans have much more Italian heritage).

Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM

127 posts, read 121,852 times
why are people equating Latin American with having indigenous blood?

the indigenous ARE NOT latinos, nor they are hispanic, nor they wish to be Latin Americans!!!! the amerindians have their own cultures which date thousands of years!

hispanic means your mother tongue is Spanish, that is all..... (yes J lo is NOT hispanic, neither are the millions of Americans with Mexican, Puerto Rican, cuban heritage who cannot speak Spanish)

latin is a term that comes from Europe, calling an indigenous person latin is as RACIST as calling an African American anglo!

Old 02-22-2017, 12:45 PM

867 posts, read 899,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my95tsi View Post
resentment? to who or from what?

I was born and raised in a south american country. I've visited and traveled many of them. How could someone like you, unless you were in the same conditions that I was, have the nerve to defy what I say about my own culture?

Unless you were born and raised in south america, how could you possibly know what the real mentality over there is?

I've seen it and lived it.

Hispanic is simply an ethnicity that refers to a group of people who share the same language (spanish), culture, customs, etc. Anyone can be hispanic. Even a Bruce Lee lookalike, could be hispanic.
if you think that there is anything remotely similar to an Hispanic "culture" all across Latin America, or that there is an Hispanic "ethnicity", you are either lying and you weren't raised in a South American country, or you are just very dumb or have a very special definition of what "ethnicity" or "culture" is. I'm inclined to think of the former, you just sound like the average Americanian person (denonym for the people from the US) who knows nothing about Latin America and hold strong prejudices against the region. You are just too cathegorical and prejudiced, no South American would speak of his/her own people with such grudge and in such an stereotypical manner.

Quote:
How does one get to be considered white? Simple, hispanic is not a race and as such, if any of them looks "white", then they are. No such thing as a "pure" white person. Every single white american, is not fully white either. If you look white, by definition and society's standards, you are considered white.
that doesn't answer my question on how people get to be considered white or what one has to do to get such consideration. on the contrary, you are now suggesting that you are white just if you are born with such traits, not related to something you can do to "achieve" it.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM

127 posts, read 121,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
if you think that there is anything remotely similar to an Hispanic "culture" all across Latin America, or that there is an Hispanic "ethnicity", you are either lying and you weren't raised in a South American country, or you are just very dumb or have a very special definition of what "ethnicity" or "culture" is. I'm inclined to think of the former, you just sound like the average Americanian person (denonym for the people from the US) who knows nothing about Latin America and hold strong prejudices against the region. You are just too cathegorical and prejudiced, no South American would speak of his/her own people with such grudge and in such an stereotypical manner.

that doesn't answer my question on how people get to be considered white or what one has to do to get such consideration. on the contrary, you are now suggesting that you are white just if you are born with such traits, not related to something you can do to "achieve" it.
white is a colonial term coined by Europeans in the Americas in order to create a social hierarchy between them, the African slaves, and the Indigenous of the Americas.

WHITE = European, INDIAN/INDIO = local native, BLACK = Slave brought from Africa.

eventually as mixing occurred labels such as (Metis/Mestizo, Creole, Mulato) came along.

One doesn't have to anything to be called white, physically you'd have to look white I guess for people to say you're white!

Old 02-26-2017, 12:10 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,313,114 times
The most grotesque example I.ve seen is redneckiensibus calling themselves European, wuen they were brainwashed and lost thir identity. At least caucasics and the different casres that emerged during 500 years are far linked to Spain and Portugal, ans come to Germany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World