U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2014, 12:26 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,681,154 times
Reputation: 2108

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Yes, probably. Say what you will about hitchhiking and hitchhikers but I've had no issues in my past experiences and actually really enjoy it.

And I dunno, define low budget I guess. Probably spending around $40 a day is perfectly fine for me, if sharing a room with a friend through AirBnb and not eating out above our means. I also have family across the river in Windsor, so you never know.
Well, there is also Hostel Detroit which has generally good reviews. It is near downtown and the owners know the city.
Hostel Detroit (MI) - Hostel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Hostel Detroit - Detroit, MI | Yelp

Since it is unpredictable, you might want to check on events just prior to your visit.
Metro Times
Detroit Events Calendar - List of Annual Festivals, Attractions and Things to Do in the Detroit Events Calendar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2014, 02:11 AM
 
Location: Satellite Of Love
296 posts, read 377,180 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm posting this in the world forum because I would like to attract the attention of the older international travellers who have experience with seeing cities change.

Based on my understanding, Detroit seems to be at its knees. I started wondering if the city is in this sort of 'bottoming out' phase, where soon it's going to attract the artistic and weird alternative sub-cultures for its cheap rent and property. I'd imagine if that were the case, it would begin a slow gentrification process around the city by primarily young people. I compared it to Berlin because of how it also had swaths of large empty buildings, hotels, and flats which became home to squatters or ultra-cheap rents. Now the former ratty East side of the city is practically the centrepiece of Berlin.

What do you think? Can you see all kinds of coffee shops and bars and rooftop gardens on top of old, decrepid buildings around Detroit in a decade or so? Why or why not?
I'd say give it another two decades at least. After a second real estate market collapse, global derivatives implosion +/- global war, hyperinflation and regime change in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 AM
 
Location: the dairyland
1,160 posts, read 1,849,972 times
Reputation: 1443
Uhm... you can't compare Detroit and Berlin. Berlin has never faced the same problems. Almost no population decline, and as an affordable capital city it is a much much bigger draw than a shrinking rust belt city. I highly doubt that Detroit is ever going to be in the same league. I do like Detroit and I hope it is going to turn around but it will never turn into another Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,681,154 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Uhm... you can't compare Detroit and Berlin. Berlin has never faced the same problems. Almost no population decline, and as an affordable capital city it is a much much bigger draw than a shrinking rust belt city. I highly doubt that Detroit is ever going to be in the same league. I do like Detroit and I hope it is going to turn around but it will never turn into another Berlin.
The subject was partially "hipness" which could describe a city anywhere and of any size.
I don't think the OP was suggesting Detroit could "rival" Berlin. He was asking if it could rebuild utilizing a similar process, and I have shown that the process which the OP suggested is actually taking place, unbeknownst to most people. Because Detroit for so long relied upon a single industry, and has recently gotten a wakeup call, it is still questionable whether a total rebuild with diversification can succeed - though on a smaller scale than Berlin.
I was there, and they are two different animals.

Last edited by detwahDJ; 03-08-2014 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,556,847 times
Reputation: 13422
Detroit. She rises.

Hey, Jesse. Let me know when you're down. I'll buy ya a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,472,897 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The subject was partially "hipness" which could describe a city anywhere and of any size.
I don't think the OP was suggesting Detroit could "rival" Berlin. He was asking if it could rebuild utilizing a similar process, and I have shown that the process which the OP suggested is actually taking place, unbeknownst to most people. Because Detroit for so long relied upon a single industry, and has recently gotten a wakeup call, it is still questionable whether a total rebuild with diversification can succeed - though on a smaller scale than Berlin.
I was there, and they are two different animals.
I recently read something that reported Detroit's downtown occupancy rate to be over 90%. If the city has already reached a point of no return, I would think that such a crucial sector of Detroit proper would've already been reduced to an image of Highland Park.

Anyway, I guess my question for any of the city's true-believers is, if Detroit really is in the process of regaining its allure, then why is it that there's very little awareness of this (media depictions haven't been helpful, I know), and additionally, what is (or what should be) the city's appeal relative to other U.S. cities that could give it an existing or potential competitive advantage on the national scene?

But essentially, I think some very creative damage-control is still needed before anyone discusses Detroit's potential to be an American equivalent of Berlin (or hell, even Atlanta). I don't doubt that the bones are still intact, and if the picture isn't as bleak as many people have been persuaded to believe, then a correction needs to be disseminated. Start there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 25,326,885 times
Reputation: 16469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Anyway, I guess my question for any of the city's true-believers is, if Detroit really is in the process of regaining its allure, then why is it that there's very little awareness of this (media depictions haven't been helpful, I know), and additionally, what is (or what should be) the city's appeal relative to other U.S. cities that could give it an existing or potential competitive advantage on the national scene?
.
I would say a lot has to do with the reputation it has gained. Remember, the media loves to hate on anything outside of the coasts.

Everyone loves to say bad things about Detroit, and well.. there are many bad things about it lol. I grew up on the West Coast of Michigan, and no one ever wants to go to the D unless we're going to watch the Tigers, Wings or Lions.

There is kind of a love-hate relationship with it though, but no one likes seeing people hate on Detroit too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 05:28 PM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,472,897 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I would say a lot has to do with the reputation it has gained. Remember, the media loves to hate on anything outside of the coasts.
Isn't that the truth.

If Detroit happened to have been a city perched somewhere within or along the American Northeast or West Coast, you'd better believe that certain media ideologues would've already launched a marketing campaign to present it as the burgeoning Stockholm of North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Everyone loves to say bad things about Detroit, and well.. there are many bad things about it lol. I grew up on the West Coast of Michigan, and no one ever wants to go to the D unless we're going to watch the Tigers, Wings or Lions.

There is kind of a love-hate relationship with it though, but no one likes seeing people hate on Detroit too much.
I would think that there are a number of Michiganians even outside of the Detroit metro who must feel some level of anguish when they look at Detroit's deterioration in the course of what, 50 years or less? For me, I have to imagine the person being 70 years old in 2014 and having been born and raised in the Detroit city limits during a timeframe occurring between 1944 and 1962; the city may be as good as dead to that person when they compare and contrast it with a first-hand historical frame of reference, and understandably so.

I've personally never seen Detroit (or even been to Michigan), but I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of seeing it as it is right now, good and bad (I understand that I could even opt for a guided tour of "Detroit's ruins" if I were to visit anytime soon). If Detroit is truly going to reverse its declination, then I don't want to miss out on this segment of its history, which may be the most important thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,255,309 times
Reputation: 4399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Detroit. She rises.

Hey, Jesse. Let me know when you're down. I'll buy ya a beer.
Deal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,255,309 times
Reputation: 4399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
I've personally never seen Detroit (or even been to Michigan), but I'm definitely intrigued by the idea of seeing it as it is right now, good and bad (I understand that I could even opt for a guided tour of "Detroit's ruins" if I were to visit anytime soon). If Detroit is truly going to reverse its declination, then I don't want to miss out on this segment of its history, which may be the most important thus far.
Exactly, the last sentence. Then in the future I get to be líke "WHERE were you all when I believed in Detroit, huh?? HUH? HUUHHH?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top