U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 1,495,166 times

Advertisements

I'd put the Philippines on the OP's Tier 2 based on what I see when it comes to every day life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 AM

301 posts, read 377,842 times
It's funny seeing the comments here.
North Americans and Asians seem to be happy to be called materialistic and are even proud of being so. But the Europeans are insulted when you call their country materialistic and protest about their country being labelled materialistic

Old 04-21-2014, 12:08 PM

301 posts, read 377,842 times
When you look at all the luxury brands, labels, high fashion and luxury cars, watches, jewellery, period mansions, ski chalets, gentlemans clubs, opera etc,it is very clear that Europe is elitist, materialistic and even pompous.

In Europe people are like

My cars are better than yours
My diamonds are bigger than yours
My house is more expensive than yours
My clothes and brands, labels are better than yours
My technology, tv, laptop, mobile phone etc better than yours
My sports team is richer, bigger than yours
I dine at better restaurants than you
I have more homes than you
I have more holidays than you
I have more money than you etc etc

Western Europe is probably the most materialistic place in the world

Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,951,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
i dont understand the people who get ready to fight and are excited about something like that happening to them in black Friday. like if it was a war or something. so much so for the new toaster
You "don't understand" ?

Here's the epitome of understatement, if I ever heard one.

"Profound despise" would not begin to describe how it looks like from where I stand.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
. But the Europeans are insulted when you call their country materialistic and protest about their country being labelled materialistic
As they should be. Beyond a certain level of material plenty that can ensure daily quality of life, materialism, particularly the kind directed towards conspicuous consumption - makes largely a clown out of anyone, regardless of nationality. Or a zoo animal. Your pick.

That being said, money hoarding -aka saving and investing, so you can later hoard even more - is an old form of mental illness that admittedly can come in very handy nowadays. It COULD save one from the horrible rat race and that can add tremendously to quality of life.

However, working yourself to death so you can spend it on shiny stuff and thus show the world what a winner you are, is one of the most pathetic ways to lose one's dignity.

USA, Asia and other places prone to such pitiful behavior do have a thing or two to learn from Europe in this regard.

If I'm already hearing indignant protests...oh, please.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
When you look at all the luxury brands, labels, high fashion and luxury cars, watches, jewellery, period mansions, ski chalets, gentlemans clubs, opera etc,it is very clear that Europe is elitist, materialistic and even pompous.

In Europe people are like

My cars are better than yours
My diamonds are bigger than yours
My house is more expensive than yours
My clothes and brands, labels are better than yours
My technology, tv, laptop, mobile phone etc better than yours
My sports team is richer, bigger than yours
I dine at better restaurants than you
I have more homes than you
I have more holidays than you
I have more money than you etc etc

Western Europe is probably the most materialistic place in the world
You seem to be lacking perspective. Or may be semantically challenged.

While you will find materialistic people all over the world, a cultural ethos that worships materialism and turns it into virtue is not specific to contemporary Europe.

Then again, if it's Italy who's shaping your perspective... that might explain it.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,361,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseanto071 View Post
I agree on you on this. When I think about it yea, Americans go nuts in Black Friday. I think Asians are also very materialistic and do buy a lot of overly expensive things even Japanese but I think the Japanese are on a smaller scale than say Chinese, Korean, Thai, Filipino, Vietnamese, Indian, etc. I think that Mexicans in the US are the type of people who will spend really nice money on a Nice car, truck, clothes, etc. to show off that they have money even though they really don't. I've seen Koreans and Southeast Asians the same way. You would see a girl who is dressed really nice and sexy, has name brands and everything, but the house needs painting.

hahahaha
Yes, I think with say Japanese or Germans, while they do care about money etc, are more likely to be into things like travelling, fine dining.etc versus some other countries where it's showy visible signs of wealth.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 AM

14,805 posts, read 17,005,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
As they should be. Beyond a certain level of material plenty that can ensure daily quality of life, materialism, particularly the kind directed towards conspicuous consumption - makes largely a clown out of anyone, regardless of nationality. Or a zoo animal. Your pick.

That being said, money hoarding -aka saving and investing, so you can later hoard even more - is an old form of mental illness that admittedly can come in very handy nowadays. It COULD save one from the horrible rat race and that can add tremendously to quality of life.

However, working yourself to death so you can spend it on shiny stuff and thus show the world what a winner you are, is one of the most pathetic ways to lose one's dignity.

USA, Asia and other places prone to such pitiful behavior do have a thing or two to learn from Europe in this regard.

If I'm already hearing indignant protests...oh, please.
Haha! No thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or