Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Religion and sexuality in Brazil is a complex issue, something even hard to understand by foreigners.

The majority of the population is Roman Catholic. However, in the urban centres, most of them don't attend regularly to the masses and have divergences towards the doctrine. They are "catholic with caveats". Many of them, althoug it's a sin in the catholic view, have sex before the marriage and often with more than one partner. The use of contraceptive methods is widespread. Catholic religiosity is stronger in the countryside and small towns. The most religious (and also the most close-minded) are the neopentecostal protestants - getting each year more numerous and more powerful.

An interesting thing is that in the general broadcast television, all of the channels, with the exception of two major networks (Rede Globo and SBT) and the government-owned stations belong to neopentecostal priesters, or rent part of the prime time for them.

Brazil has also a large community of Kardecism followers, probably the largest in the world. There is also a sizable community of atheists, but few of them declare it; stating "there is no God" is perceived by many almost as a crime.
How common is it now to wait until marriage to have sex? It seems there's this image of the modest village girl who does so, but I also think of Brazilians as both having faith, believing in spiritual things, superstitions while also being rather liberal/lax/free about sex. A bit like some African Americans in that regard. Is that a fair statement? I wonder if atheism is much rarer in Brazil or other Catholic countries than the Anglosphere.

Evangelicalism also seems a bit more prominent in Brazil than other Latin countries, I heard as high as 15-20% and growing. I remember when Brazil won the world cup in 2002 many of the players had T-shirts saying 'Jesus loves you' under their jerseys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:13 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
How common is it now to wait until marriage to have sex? It seems there's this image of the modest village girl who does so, but I also think of Brazilians as both having faith, believing in spiritual things, superstitions while also being rather liberal/lax/free about sex. A bit like some African Americans in that regard. Is that a fair statement? I wonder if atheism is much rarer in Brazil or other Catholic countries than the Anglosphere.

Evangelicalism also seems a bit more prominent in Brazil than other Latin countries, I heard as high as 15-20% and growing. I remember when Brazil won the world cup in 2002 many of the players had T-shirts saying 'Jesus loves you' under their jerseys.
The Catholic Church is clear about the sex for non-reproductive purposes. I don't know if catholics in other parts of the world follow so strictly the doctrine of the Vatican, but in Brazil most of them do not. Catholics are much more relaxed and less conservative about religion than most of the neopentecostal adherents. There is of course a lot of people carrying chaplets, portraits of Mary, stickers in the cars stating "I'm happy because I'm catholic", but many of them will also disagree with the Pope in questions about sex and contraceptive methods. And curiously, many brazilian catholics believe in reincarnation.

Declared non-believers, including atheist, agnostic or "spiritual but not religious" accounts for about 10% of the brazilian people, but since not all of them declare publicly their belief (or non-belief), the number may be higher.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Brazil is a huge country. You'll find men and women of all natures, and of course many brazilian men are romantic. However, it's not an average.
Yes, I know Brazil is a large diverse country, as is every other country. The question however was which countries/peoples are the most romantic.

In comparison to many world cultures, I think Brazilians are romantic people. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but in a general sense, yes.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes, I know Brazil is a large diverse country, as is every other country. The question however was which countries/peoples are the most romantic.

In comparison to many world cultures, I think Brazilians are romantic people. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but in a general sense, yes.
Believe me. Romantic men in Brazil are not that rare, but definitively they are not the rule.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:37 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,789,895 times
Quote:
Believe me. Romantic men in Brazil are not that rare, but definitively they are not the rule.
I believe you, since you are a Brazilian male. Lol

For the record I do not have a romanticized view of Brazil or of Brazilian people. I don't think that way about any culture, everyone has positives and negatives in their culture.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
How on earth am I immoral? On what grounds?

I'm not a "white knight" that have to defend the other sex on the internet. I treat them as equals, and everyone stands for him/herself.

The supposed psychological health has not fallen due to sexual liberation, or should I say, sexual equality. I'm quite certain that the mental health of women was a lot lower a 100 years ago or so when they were practically subjects/servants to their husbands.

What you said in the few earlier posts, I've heard that a lot of times before. In the end it usually comes down to that the sayer is a sexually frustrated person who loathes that all women doesn't keep their legs crossed and look up to a man only because he has money and status. Usually they also blame women and the modern culture, because the man gets overlooked by women and when they prefer poorer, but better looking men with lesser status.

Long story short: "why won't you pick me, I can provide for you! Don't go with that hooligan, I have a better salary! This worked 100 years ago, why doesn't it work today? "

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I'm do not consider women as toys, and is usually quite careful in choosing my sexual partnersNeither do I make a big deal of it if someone wants to fool around. Their choice.
Maybe you ahould thinking of them as more than mere " sex partners " then?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:40 PM

449 posts, read 640,635 times
Lol....Anyway i have found american mens quite romantic compare to french males.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Polaris View Post
Lol....Anyway i have found american mens quite romantic compare to french males.
Interesting...talk about going against stereotypes...

It's funny a lot of the women here thought the American GI's were perfect gentlemen and romantic compared to the stoic Aussie male who cared more about drinking in the pub with his mates than wining and dining his lady lol. That was WWII but I wonder if things have changed...

maybe those stereotypes about French being romantic are more stereotypes than truth...

Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Wining and dining a woman is boring, especially if there is no sex at the end. It's more fun to get drunk and have a hookup. Well, for me, replace 'woman' with 'man', but it's all the same really. Being in a relationship requires commitment and compromise, and that is something I don't have, and I'm not willing to do. Romance might be dead, but I'm not mourning its loss.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 06-08-2014 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World