U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:01 PM

37 posts, read 25,524 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I'm a 22 year old male from New York that has just finished music college and I'm trying to figure out where to move to.

I'm a freelance musician from NY and I perform and create ambient/experimental/IDM electronic music. I'm trying to figure out where I should move to now that I finally need to decide where to settle down. I'm mainly looking for a nice place that I can make a living in, ideally a place that has a demand and appreciation for art music and has other musicians I can relate to. Also a place appropriate for somebody my age as well as preferably predominantly consisting of blonde/redheaded women if that helps pin point a place.

I've got a dual citizenship (US & EU) and from what I've heard Canada isn't hard to work/live in if I really wanted to, so I can basically move to anywhere. I personally love what I've seen of Europe but I only visited as a tourist so I'm sure that could just be the "grass is always greener" in me talking. I don't really like NY very much, it is too expensive and I can't stand most of the people because of their aggravated attitudes and decadent personalities and lifestyles. I'm looking for a place with people that are more down to earth and sincerely nice. I guess that is why I prefer small towns/cities over big cities but I realize that to really live as a musician I'm going to have to live in a big city, especially as a young adult.

The current locations I am looking at are Nashville, Berlin, Miami, and Edinburgh. Nashville I hear is called "Music City" and apparently is a haven for musicians. However, I don't do anything close to country so I'm not sure I'd be accepted there. Berlin I hear is cheap and has electronic music everywhere, but they seem to only be into techno and deep house with little room for alternatives. Miami has a lot of lounges but I imagine the people to be pretty fake. I didn't mention London because it is way too expensive to live comfortably in.

I'd appreciate any and all help on this matter, I'm having a stressful time figuring this out on my own because I don't have much to go on and feel free to suggest places I have not mentioned with reasons why. Thank you!

P.S.: An example of the music I am into https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaWGnkaYXEA
Edit: Also dating is an important thing to me. In NY it seems to be more about career and casual hooking up, which I know is the case in most modern cities, but I feel NY is overkill in that department.

Last edited by PostUser551; 03-12-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,393,063 times
Consider Melbourne. We have a vibrant arts/music scene here and it's often ranked one of the most livable cities in the world. Usually I think those lists are pretty silly but Melbourne is an amazing city to live in, at least check it out when you can.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Consider Melbourne. We have a vibrant arts/music scene here and it's often ranked one of the most livable cities in the world. Usually I think those lists are pretty silly but Melbourne is an amazing city to live in, at least check it out when you can.
Thank you for your response. I looked up a good bit on Melbourne, it sounds like a really nice place to live in. Is there a scene for experimental electronic music? And how is the dating/social scene in Melbourne?

Old 03-12-2014, 11:38 PM

11,269 posts, read 12,518,837 times
Detroit has an incredible EM scene. If you can afford NY, you can afford downtown Detroit. Yes, it's safe.
Don't discount it based on it's heavily distored reputation.
New Orleans is also a great place for musicians.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Detroit has an incredible EM scene. If you can afford NY, you can afford downtown Detroit. Yes, it's safe.
Don't discount it based on it's heavily distored reputation.
New Orleans is also a great place for musicians.
I will admit I have heard a lot of bad things about Detroit but I will look more into it. However, isn't the EM scene mostly just techno and house?

Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,518,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
I will admit I have heard a lot of bad things about Detroit but I will look more into it. However, isn't the EM scene mostly just techno and house?

Ehhhhh....yeah, I guess. lol

Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 AM

22,884 posts, read 64,946,966 times
Isn´t Berlin the place to be for electronic music?

Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,489,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Isn´t Berlin the place to be for electronic music?
Germany was always big on electronic music, Kraftwerk being the most famous of the many bands.

In the UK you had Brian Eno, Gray Newman and bands such as Depache Mode and the Human League in the 1980's.

In terms of Europe, I think Berlin is one of the more creative cities, whilst London is also a global centre in terms of music, but like NYC is expensive, whilst Manchester has a long history of musical innovation and creativity. It's also woth noting that Paris is investing heavily in a stunning new Centre for Music and very impressive new Concert Hall.

Last edited by Bamford; 03-13-2014 at 05:48 AM..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM

554 posts, read 646,350 times
About Electro Music Berlin is still the European capital. But London, Bruxelles, Paris or Amsterdam have vibrant EM scenes too. But it could be harder in a city and easier in an other depending of the kind of EM you do. For example minimal is strong in Berlin but not so popular in Paris..

Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,393,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostUser551 View Post
Thank you for your response. I looked up a good bit on Melbourne, it sounds like a really nice place to live in. Is there a scene for experimental electronic music? And how is the dating/social scene in Melbourne?
Yeah I think so, I mean every genre seems well-represented here. Very artsy.etc and what not, vibrant scene and the government is supportive of local arts including music.

Hmmm, depends what you're looking for. Although it markets itself as being all cultural and sophisticated, I actually think Melburnians are fairly genuine and down to earth, although like anywhere else you have your snobs. It's a bit more 'cultured' and less rowdy than other capitals but of course it depends where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or