Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:32 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times

Advertisements

None of the BRICS or countries that are not fully developed. Russia shouldn't have been in it in the first place but it was a gift to Gorbachov for his political reforms and ending of the cold war. Obviously it was only temporary.

I think Spain is the natural choice but the US wouldn't allow it as it wouldn't want yet another European country to have to argue with. Australia is also an option but Canada wouldn't want them because it would be seen as a demotion in Canada's economic and political power as Canada viewed itself as more than just a middle power which Australia sees itself as.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
I largely agree with the sentiment that the G7 or G8 isn't as useful as it used to be... I do understand however why they don't constantly change the member countries solely based on GDP because these things can change frequently.. One moment country A is in the G8 than the month after they are booted out by country B only for that to be repeated rather constantly due to contant fluctuations in GDP.. There has to be other criteria that stands the test of time instead of just overall GDP at any given moment.

In any event - the G8 isn't as influential as it used to be nor should it and I think that is why organizations like the G20 and others have been created, to recognize that influence is greater than just a core group of westernized nations and there has been a shifting of the balance of power in more ways than just economic.. This isn't to say its completely shifting but shifting enough so that the traditional west isn't as influential as it used to be..

Last edited by fusion2; 02-04-2015 at 10:10 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
None of the BRICS or countries that are not fully developed. Russia shouldn't have been in it in the first place but it was a gift to Gorbachov for his political reforms and ending of the cold war. Obviously it was only temporary.

I think Spain is the natural choice but the US wouldn't allow it as it wouldn't want yet another European country to have to argue with. Australia is also an option but Canada wouldn't want them because it would be seen as a demotion in Canada's economic and political power as Canada viewed itself as more than just a middle power which Australia sees itself as.
I don't know where you get this sentiment but I can't imagine this would be remotely reflective of Canadian sentiment, especially with our current government that get along fabulously with the Australian.. If anything Harper would LOVE to have Abbot sit next to him - very very closely at the same table..

Australia and Canada: a conservative bromance | Colin Horgan | Comment is free | The Guardian

Prime Minister Tony Abbott is in a bromance with Canadian leader Stephen Harper. And there will be climate change consequences

I've never seen Canada seeing itself as more than just a middle power.. At least in the last 25 years otherwise it would have allocated for more to military spending than it has.. Pecentage of GDP to our Defense budget is a rather paltry 1.1 percent or in and around there.. Countries who see themselves as more than middle powers would allocate a minimum of 2 but realistically 3 or 4 times as much.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-04-2015 at 10:19 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I want to take a shot too...

IMF, World bank and UN all agrees.

The world's largest economy is...

NEUROPA!!!!!!!

IN YOUR FACE, COLONIES!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ecrJaA_mXg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old 02-05-2015, 02:03 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I don't know where you get this sentiment but I can't imagine this would be remotely reflective of Canadian sentiment, especially with our current government that get along fabulously with the Australian.. If anything Harper would LOVE to have Abbot sit next to him - very very closely at the same table..

Australia and Canada: a conservative bromance | Colin Horgan | Comment is free | The Guardian

Prime Minister Tony Abbott is in a bromance with Canadian leader Stephen Harper. And there will be climate change consequences

I've never seen Canada seeing itself as more than just a middle power.. At least in the last 25 years otherwise it would have allocated for more to military spending than it has.. Pecentage of GDP to our Defense budget is a rather paltry 1.1 percent or in and around there.. Countries who see themselves as more than middle powers would allocate a minimum of 2 but realistically 3 or 4 times as much.
Hopefully we will see the end of Tony soon, their is a revolt brewing against him from within his own party.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
I would not want Australia in the G8, the organisation is well past it's used by date.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:56 AM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times
I agree that the G20 makes more sense and encompasses a broader spectrum of economic, social, cultural, political, and ethnic populations of the world. That said you will never see an end to the G8.

Being exclusive has it's privledges and being a member of such an elite club allows those countries to discuss economic, social, and political situations with usually like-minded countries. The whole reason it will continue is because all the countries have relatively the same per-capita economies, social values, and democratic institutions. They can actually get some things done {whether for good or ill} and provide a united front on many issues.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:15 AM

303 posts, read 255,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I agree that the G20 makes more sense and encompasses a broader spectrum of economic, social, cultural, political, and ethnic populations of the world. That said you will never see an end to the G8.

Being exclusive has it's privledges and being a member of such an elite club allows those countries to discuss economic, social, and political situations with usually like-minded countries. The whole reason it will continue is because all the countries have relatively the same per-capita economies, social values, and democratic institutions. They can actually get some things done {whether for good or ill} and provide a united front on many issues.
G8 was created to discuss the world economy in the "narrow circle", but now, really, it does not work, because the countries that are now part of the G8 does not have the necessary impact on the economy. Neither China nor India, nor Russia is not there, they were not allowed there for political reasons, and therefore the G8 is dead. And the world will soon again be divided into two economic sides. It will happen to the creation Bank of the BRICS, when the IMF will lose the monopoly on lending countries. This will end of the Western powers over the finances of the World. US just kill themselves by their actions.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Hopefully we will see the end of Tony soon, their is a revolt brewing against him from within his own party.
Well we have an election in Canada by years end... Hopefully Stephen will be on his way out.. Perhaps Stephen and Tony can than retire together on a secluded island.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Now that Russia is out for now, I would hope that in the future the G7/G8 would stay exclusively as Democracies.

Nothing against a fellow Anglo country like Australia, but I think INDIA, South Korea and Brazil should come first because of their larger size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World