U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 AM

296 posts, read 375,244 times

Advertisements

Don't expect to see a proper judeochristian culture anywhere until kingdom come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Maybe if India takes over the role as the world's factory, but it's too far into the future. And on what basis they do predict India with supersede China? On population alone?

Old 03-14-2014, 06:37 AM

2,143 posts, read 1,040,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Maybe if India takes over the role as the world's factory, but it's too far into the future. And on what basis they do predict India with supersede China? On population alone?
India's secondary sector is really small…

Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,523,609 times
Consider that the rate of change in the world is doubling, and can be expected to continue to do so. So anything that happens in the next 40 years can be as dramatic as anything that has happened in the last 80. Which would be equivalent to the turnover that has occurred since the Great Depression in the USA.

This is not to say that India will necessarily be the beneficiary of future accelerated turnabouts, but there is no reason to exclude it from contention.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:54 PM

3,280 posts, read 4,600,818 times
An excellent best-selling book in this subject is The Post-American World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Look for it at your local library. The Indian-born author is editor-at-large of TIME magazine, and host of a weekly show on CNN.

Last edited by slowlane3; 03-14-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 11:28 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The British Empire did during colonialism, but prior to that and now, I don't think that's the case at all.
Ever heard of math, science, and arts? We've borrowed these discoveries from Greater India and other Asian nations way before colonization and to this day. The very computer you're reading this on is based on mathematics discovered in Greater India.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:31 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Although I don't disagree with you in regards to the many hypocrisies of Judeo-Christian-sourced Western morality, let's be fair: Dalit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trying to whitewash India or any other country's discriminatory and inhumane cultural foibles doesn't do anyone any favors.
You act like that's the norm in India. It's not and restricted to small rural areas. While studying economics at Princeton, I had the opportunity to do research an India (not my cup of tea, btw). You have quite a bit to learn about the nation if you feel that the caste system is prominent in modern greater India. Btw, greater India includes more nations than just India.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:40 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,194,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You act like that's the norm in India. It's not and restricted to small rural areas. While studying economics at Princeton, I had the opportunity to do research an India (not my cup of tea, btw). You have quite a bit to learn about the nation if you feel that the caste system is prominent in modern greater India. Btw, greater India includes more nations than just India.
The caste system is quite prominent in India. I spent time there myself and they have many "racial" problems within their country.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:44 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,194,987 times
Quote:
Ever heard of math, science, and arts? We've borrowed these discoveries from Greater India and other Asian nations way before colonization and to this day. The very computer you're reading this on is based on mathematics discovered in Greater India.
It's because they existed before other civilizations.

That's about as relevant as saying we owe Africa for our lives because that's where it began.

You cannot claim the people today are benefiting from India (or greater India). There was just as many advancements in Mathematics, Art and Literature in other parts of the world.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:44 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
My ex wife's mom is Northern Indian, and her dad is Pakistani. I know more about the Indian subcontinent than you think I do. I haven't been there, nor do I purport to, but I'm hardly viewing it from a totally isolated and myopic vantage point. You, however, are obviously viewing it from an extremely sympathetic, somewhat boostering viewpoint.

Quote:
Ever heard of math, science, and arts?
No, I haven't. What are these things?

Quote:
We've borrowed these discoveries from Greater India and other Asian nations way before colonization and to this day. The very computer you're reading this on is based on mathematics discovered in Greater India.
Art was an Indian "discovery?" Do you have any idea how absurd what you just said is? Art has existed in all cultures, current and past, since practically the beginning of time... if you want to get into a lengthy discussion on the concurrent and separate developments of different art styles across the globe we most certainly can, but when it comes to many of the styles which influenced Western art, a more accurate place to point to would be Greece. Western art concepts of realism and aesthetic are vastly different from those of the rest of the world, and theirs' to Europe's.

As far as math, many contributions to mathematics certainly originated in India, but they also originated (again, separately) in long-since fallen empires such as the Babylonians and Egyptians, as well as the Greek, and also in China. The Scientific Revolution which laid the groundwork for modern science started in Europe and was based primarily off of Greek, Babylonian, and Egyptian theories that were further extrapolated and expounded upon during the medieval period; again, Indian mathematics made huge contributions to modern science and I don't know where precisely it is that you're getting that I don't appreciate this.

None of this has anything to do with past and present human rights problems in India, any more than NASA putting a man on the moon has to do with drones firing missiles at fourteen year old shepherds in Pakistan, or Euclid's contributions to mathematics have to do with the Greek government mismanaging its economy and disenfranchising its people. Do you feel as though the rest of the world owes India a debt for the fact that they adopted elements of its historical and mathematical thought? If that's the case, then it's reciprocated in that India benefits plenty from discoveries and innovations from all over the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World