U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 AM

81 posts, read 81,280 times

Advertisements

No, in many countries asking such a personal question is considered not educated. I have never heard anybody asking a Chinese or African if he's from China or Africa. That's a typical Amerian thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 AM

16,416 posts, read 25,278,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
No, in many countries asking such a personal question is considered not educated. I have never heard anybody asking a Chinese or African if he's from China or Africa. That's a typical Amerian thing.
Everybody constantly asked where I was from when I was in India.

Just wondering, where are you from?

Old 03-15-2014, 08:56 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,373,213 times
I imagine they would and I don't where is the problem.
If I went to the US and got asked where I come from, I wouldn't have any problem in saying them I'm Italian.
That's where I come from, where I was born and where I live, no shame, no pride,no glory.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,157,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
So educating yourself is considered uneducated.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
FBF

563 posts, read 645,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
So the impression I get is, in Anglo countries (besides the US): it is mainly non-European ancestry people that get asked this.

In the US, non-European, non-African ancestry (neither white or black) get this.

Am I right?
True.

I am of Mexican descent but because my complexion is not as dark compared to the stereotypical view of Latinos from non-Hispanic white Americans (dark brown) nor am I pasty white that non-Hispanic whites feel the need to ask what am I......I also have slightly slanted eyes so I am mistaken to be East or Southeast Asian.

This became more common here in Iowa than in my previous home state (Georgia).

It is annoying at times.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM

14,790 posts, read 13,513,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
So the impression I get is, in Anglo countries (besides the US): it is mainly non-European ancestry people that get asked this.

In the US, non-European, non-African ancestry (neither white or black) get this.

Am I right?
I get it fairly often and I'm euro ancestry.

But my siblings never get asked this.

It's annoying at times as I clearly have an Australian accent - I realised as I got older to just take it as a compliment. I think some people don't associate green eyes with Italians, plus I have olive skin and very dark hair so they just can't place the background.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,825,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't understand why it's a problem to ask someone where they come from? I always ask people where they are from when I talk to someone with an accent.

Anytime I'm abroad, I'm asked where I'm from the second I open my mouth. I am glad to tell them where I'm from and about our streets of gold.

Hell, when I'm in the United States I get asked where I am from due to my accent.. and I'm American. I go back to my original thought, everybody just wants a reason to cry, whine or be offended. Now we can't even ask someone where they're from because it could hurt their feelings? Give me a break.
I remember reading a rant that an Asian-American girl posted online once about how she hated how people were always asking her where her family is from, and sometimes, where she was from. She interpreted it as racism based on the fact that she was nonwhite.

My response was that white Americans do it to eachother all the time. The US is an immigrant nation, and most Americans at the very least know they're "Irish" or "German" or "English," and many know exactly what towns in what regions of what countries their family is from. If someone has the last name Boudreau, then people will ask if they're French. If they have the last name Olsson, they'll get asked if they're Swedish. And you generally answer back with something like, "yeah, my grand/great-grandparents were from there, but I grew up in Ohio."

You'll also get asked "where you're from," especially in bigger cities, where there's a good chance you're from somewhere else. Of course, if you're not white, you probably wouldn't know that we do it to eachother all the same and I can see where someone would assume that maybe it was an issue of racial stereotypes, but I was trying to convince her that NO, it wasn't because people thought it wasn't possible that she was American, it's that they were treating her like an American. It's just idle conversation and nothing more. If you really don't want people to treat you like a normal person, then put on headphones when you leave your home, don't take them off, and don't make eye contact!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:48 AM
FBF

563 posts, read 645,517 times
It happens to non-Caucasian looking people far more often.

Caucasians only ask once they get closer, but toward non-Caucasian looking people.....they ask right off the bat (except the big cities where there are a lot if people of different backgrounds).

Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM

939 posts, read 1,202,165 times
If said European immigrants have an accent, they will get asked. If they don't have an accent, or if they are not immigrants but their parents are, then they will not get asked about their ethnic orgins unless they make a big stink about their ethnic group, like if their parents are Greek and start talking about why they think Bulgarians suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hell, when I'm in the United States I get asked where I am from due to my accent.. and I'm American. I go back to my original thought, everybody just wants a reason to cry, whine or be offended. Now we can't even ask someone where they're from because it could hurt their feelings? Give me a break.
Do you also ask women how old they are or how much they weigh? I mean it's just a number and us guys have no problem sharing it. Why do women get so offended at curiosity?

Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,751,603 times
One doesn't know that a person "comes from" somewhere, unless they speak the local language with a foreign accent. There is nothing unusual about, out of friendly curiosity, asking about their origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or