Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 07:56 PM

95 posts, read 562,487 times

Advertisements

As an African-American myself I was just wondering what people in other countries thought about us, if at all? Being that the U.S. has one of the largest if not the largest black population in the developed world are we seen as part of the America or does the thought never really cross your mind? I'm not here to judge I just want an honest interpretation of blacks in America from an outside source.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 PM

291 posts, read 1,073,059 times
Hi There-

I can't speak for worldwide opinion, but I think I can speak to at least a bit of what you seem to be asking. In Minneapolis, there is a *very* large Somali population, and I got to know quite a few of them during my time there. I was sort of shocked to learn just how prejudiced they seemed to be toward American blacks. There was lots of eye rolling, under the breath insults, and general nastiness that I noticed directed at American blacks. I was told point blank by one that I knew fairly well, "We're not like them here, they're animals." It was pretty eye opening for me. In fairness however, if their only real exposure has been to loud, young, urban trouble-makers, then I suppose it's understandable. It still irked me however that they wanted to paint everyone with the same broad brush. Please don't take this as a slam against the Somali people- I think they're a diligent, valuable, hardworking and well-educated immigrant group, and other than what I just mentioned, I did think quite highly of the ones I knew personally.

Just my .02.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM

I think their view of us is pretty stereotypical, but I can't deny some of the things urban black youth do today. However, I believe the Somali ignorance is one of concern, since they are unfairly placeing all of us in one particular group.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 AM

4,282 posts, read 15,709,568 times
Quote:
I'm not here to judge I just want an honest interpretation of blacks in America from an outside source.

Quote:
However, I believe the Somali ignorance is one of concern, since they are unfairly placeing all of us in one particular group.

And you have just returned the favour by ascribing the same opinion to all Somalis

That being said, this topic has the very real capability of turning into a troll's paradise.

All members need to be aware that City Data does not permit racist comments/content.

Members who wish to offer an opinion with regard to how the US African-American population is viewed from other countries should do so bearing the TOS rules in mind.

Members who choose to disregard the TOS provisions will have their posts removed and infractions will be issued.

Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:10 AM

72 posts, read 258,025 times
Well, at least in Taiwan a lot of people based their opinions on what they saw on TV, which didn't turn out too well. I lived in Taiwan for about two years and heard some interesting ideas of America. Some of my friends in Taiwan have asked me if African Americans are all violent, gangsters and thieves, no thanks to movies and coverage of Katrina. Of course I said no, and that they shouldn't trust everything on TV.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:32 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,220,154 times
I don't hold an opinion about an entire group of people. Everyone is an individual.

Unfortunately, bigotry is alive and well in many parts of the world.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:40 AM

718 posts, read 2,680,724 times
i think they are human like every one else on the planet.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM

384 posts, read 1,705,736 times
I can admit that there are differences in the values instilled through one's culture. The African-American values and culture are much different from those of most blacks from other countries. In addition there was always an aire of arrogance with African-Americans when it came to blacks from other countries and with that, has caused some dislike (sometimes hatred) for African-Americans. In most cases, through experienced views and listening to others, African-Americans are less likely to adapt to another culture and are more likely to tell you to "go back to where you came from". It is that experience and being called offensive names (due to origin of birth) that has really turned most blacks from other countries, away from African-Americans. It seems unfair to say so, but other races and cultures seem to accept you more than African-Americans. I can't begin to tell you of the many times I have observed the hypocrisy of African-Americans when it came to blacks from other countries; which is really sad because when it boils down to the nitty gritty, we all bleed the same color.
Despite all that, I can definitely say that the newer generation seem to be more accepting than the older generation.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:22 PM

CornerGuy1 you're right I did not mean to talk about them as a collective group, but merely as the certain individuals that shared that view. Unfortunetly it came the wrong way.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,201,141 times
Personally from my travels "african americans" are percieved as Americans, and generally treated as any other American would be, for better or worse, and race not being an issue.

If you go out looking between the lines for bigotry, you'll likely find it, but not because of the color of your skin, but because of the country on your passport.

The only negative I've heard in regard to black Americans comes from my black Ethiopian and Eritrean relatives, and it is that Africa is not a country, it's a continent made up of 54 countries, and there is no understanding as to why you would label yourself as a continent when you are clearly American.

My $0.02

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World