U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 116 73.42%
New York 42 26.58%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM
 
118 posts, read 124,535 times
Reputation: 104

Advertisements

And to answer this thread. Tokyo feels far larger than New York. And it IS far larger and more overwhelming than New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Blighty
526 posts, read 455,014 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
Best to just ignore that poster all together. BennyBucks can be found all over the inter web spewing how gleaming and fabulous London is (when a strong case can be made that London is nothing more than a miserable, overcast, and ugly cesspool of drab buildings and working-class chavs without proper dental care that teeters on the third-world via mass immigration from countries even more destitute than the ones that land in the U.S.). BennyBucks seems to reside in an alternate universe of London; one in which the town is more beautiful than Paris and everyone is a wonderful, civilized model-citizen.

London is many great things things but London. It's a fun place, it's very multi-cultured. Zone 1 is great and vibrant. But London, beautiful? LOL. Never.
What a completely appropriate place for an anti-London rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM
 
1,268 posts, read 857,700 times
Reputation: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
Best to just ignore that poster all together. BennyBucks can be found all over the inter web spewing how gleaming and fabulous London is (when a strong case can be made that London is nothing more than a miserable, overcast, and ugly cesspool of drab buildings and working-class chavs without proper dental care that teeters on the third-world via mass immigration from countries even more destitute than the ones that land in the U.S.). BennyBucks seems to reside in an alternate universe of London; one in which the town is more beautiful than Paris and everyone is a wonderful, civilized model-citizen.

London is many great things things but London. It's a fun place, it's very multi-cultured. Zone 1 is great and vibrant. But London, beautiful? LOL. Never.
A stronger case can be made that you are nothing but a small-minded, ignorant troll.

As for the topic, having visited both NYC and Tokyo recently, I'd say both are very cool cities although given the choice of visiting either again it would be Tokyo all the way. NYC was pretty much what I expected with little in the way of surprises whereas Tokyo was much more fun to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Centre of Europe
42 posts, read 75,537 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
And to answer this thread. Tokyo feels far larger than New York. And it IS far larger and more overwhelming than New York.
The continuous built-up area of NY is by far larger than the one in Tokyo, we spent enough time measuring this in the skyscrapercity-forum. So you are wrong, sorry to say this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2014, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens, you know the scene
750 posts, read 2,128,793 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I don't think you've been to Tokyo.

There is no Tokyo neighborhood that has the density and vertical feel of Times Square, and there is no Tokyo street comparable to 42nd Street.

If you are talking about neon lights only, then yes, Tokyo has different zoning, and neon is everywhere, while in NYC it is strictly regulated. But there is no neighborhood in Tokyo that will compare with Times Square/42nd Street area.

Also, if you are talking pedestrian counts, then yes, places like Shibuya crossing are comparable. But not in built form, at all. Not even close.

I'm from New York and have lived and worked in Tokyo for 2 years. There's no need to get competitive about New York vs Tokyo, there's no contest that Tokyo is just far more urban and impressive - it's absolutely objective and to argue against it is just delusional. Sure, the buildings and ads in Times Square are taller and bigger - who cares? That's like a few blocks. Tokyo has endless amounts of neighborhoods like that over like 5 or 6 times the area of NYC. Shibuya, Shinjuku, Ginza, Akihabara etc. Tokyo has a neighborhood just for video games with el trainings weaving in and out of it for crying out loud. New York is nowhere near as visually shocking as Tokyo. There are 30-40 million people there, have you ever been in the Tokyo Metro during rush hour? You can barely walk, it's basically just like being caught in a tidal wave. Saying that Tokyo is "not even close" to as impressive as New York in built form makes me think you live in bizarro world where everything is the opposite of reality. Clearly YOU haven't been to Tokyo. Seeing pictures on the internet isn't the same as living there. Using Times Square as an example just sounds desperate. There are literally random alleyways and side streets as impressive as 42nd street in Tokyo. Of course New York is the better city - more diverse, better culture, more fun etc, but you won't catch me saying it's more built up and visually impressive. I feel like I'm coming back to Boise, Idaho when I get back from Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I don't think you've been to Tokyo.

There is no Tokyo neighborhood that has the density and vertical feel of Times Square, and there is no Tokyo street comparable to 42nd Street.

If you are talking about neon lights only, then yes, Tokyo has different zoning, and neon is everywhere, while in NYC it is strictly regulated. But there is no neighborhood in Tokyo that will compare with Times Square/42nd Street area.

Also, if you are talking pedestrian counts, then yes, places like Shibuya crossing are comparable. But not in built form, at all. Not even close.
These are relatively tiny parts of the city though. Tokyo has multiple places spread over a fairly large area and much of this isn't even apparent on the ground floor. There are multiple large underground retail corridors and there are many buildings where the 1st floor all the way up several floors are shops/restaurants/retail and other sorts of services.

Maybe you've been to Tokyo, but wandered around without actually knowing what you're seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,115 posts, read 21,737,714 times
Reputation: 10216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
NYC has a very beautiful park right in the centre and has far more public green space than Tokyo. Which for many people make the city far more liveable and pleasant.
Are you discounting public green spaces in Tokyo that have an admissions fee to them? The ones that have the fees, which are only a few, are 2 or 3 USD. It's an interesting paradigm as Tokyo is not a poor city, but the slight barrier to entry really makes these pay-to-enter parks that are smack dab in the center of some of the most central and busiest parts of the city is enough to ensure that there isn't much of a crowd that builds up in these places and you really get a far better sense of leaving the city than you would, in say, Central Park where you'll see crowds unless you're towards the center east/west wise and fairly far up in the northern stretches of the park. The national park in Minata, one of the busiest central districts, with a 3 USD admission rate, a limit of 300 people in the park, and preserved original forests and marshlands is pretty amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 AM
 
340 posts, read 258,915 times
Reputation: 162
Comparing these two cities is like weighing apples with oranges. They have their own features and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,290 times
Reputation: 10
Default Tokyos is much bigger than NYC!

Look, landmass is not the issue. By that count, NYC is not close to being the biggest city in America. Staten Island is the biggest borough, but is only home to 300,000.

Tokyo's core downtown has 4-5 areas that rival Times Square/Midtown in terms of buildings, retail activity, hotels etc. Manhattan only has 1.8m people. Tokyo's core downtown is home to at least 5m people and millions more commune in.

I have lived in NYC for 25 years and just visited Tokyo for a week. Tokyo makes Manhattan look like a small town. Tokyo has the world's biggest and busiest metro system and still has 505 more cabs than NYC,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Astoria, Queens, you know the scene
750 posts, read 2,128,793 times
Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by pangloss66 View Post
Look, landmass is not the issue. By that count, NYC is not close to being the biggest city in America. Staten Island is the biggest borough, but is only home to 300,000.

Tokyo's core downtown has 4-5 areas that rival Times Square/Midtown in terms of buildings, retail activity, hotels etc. Manhattan only has 1.8m people. Tokyo's core downtown is home to at least 5m people and millions more commune in.

I have lived in NYC for 25 years and just visited Tokyo for a week. Tokyo makes Manhattan look like a small town. Tokyo has the world's biggest and busiest metro system and still has 505 more cabs than NYC,

Agreed.

I'm writing this post from Tokyo right now. I took the Skyliner train from Narita to Ueno station. I got out of the station, and right away the neighborhood rivaled Times Square, and this is a peripheral station far from the city center. I then transferred to the JR Yamanote train to Shinjuku, and it took over an hour. So an hour later, you have another neighborhood that is as dense as midtown Manhattan but instead EVERY block is lit up like Time Square - and the skyscrapers are roughly the same height as well. So just picture Times Square but every avenue between 8th and 1st is lit up that way all the way from 42nd street to 57th street - and keep in mind, this is just one little neighborhood in Tokyo - you can be on the train for hours, get out and you'll still see a similar type of visually overwhelming neighborhood. It feels like it never ends. You just can't compare sprawling, overpopulated Asian cities to American cities, it's a whole different animal. I actually felt nauseous and easily disoriented the first night walking around because of the lights, people, getting lost with no grid etc. Tokyo is the real mother of all cities. The Gangnam district in Seoul is similar - much bigger than Times Square and 34th Street combined. The crazy thing is everything is so clean, upscale, and futuristic too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top