U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 116 73.42%
New York 42 26.58%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,218 times

Advertisements

I have to agree that NYC is much more visually overwhelming than any part of Tokyo.
Tokyo feels too spread out for me, and the buildings are not very tall compared to other mega-cities.

Also foreigners find the crowds in Japan to be overwhelming but after years of commuting in Tokyo you start to feel nothing when squeezing into the 7am train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 AM

505 posts, read 415,209 times
Tokyo, by far

Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 AM

490 posts, read 608,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Agreed.
but instead EVERY block is lit up like Time Square - and the skyscrapers are roughly the same height as well. So just picture Times Square but every avenue between 8th and 1st is lit up that way all the way from 42nd street to 57th street - and keep in mind, this is just one little neighborhood in Tokyo
There are more skyscrapers on the blocks surrounding Times Square than there are in all of Tokyo. The reason why more places don't look like Times Square in New York is because the city forbids (rightfully so). Nevertheless, I agree that overall Tokyo (and a handful of other Asian cities) are more monstrous and overwhelming than NYC. I think Midtown may be more visually overwhelming than area of other cities because of the grid and the height of the buildings.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:04 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,486,329 times
Well, it feels bigger. But not instantly if that makes sense.

When you step foot in Manhattan, with all those skyscrapers, you get instantly amazed with the scale of everything. There is no neighborhood of Tokyo that will capture that, not even Shinjuku or Shibuya.

But take a train through the city, and your mouth will gape at just how long it stretches, and stretches. It's like Los Angeles but with Brooklyn type structural density.

Here is a toast to Tokyo I took from my apartment building's bar for you guy's to gawk:

Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 PM

225 posts, read 160,507 times
New York should put a ban on those metal roll down shutters for shop fronts. They're exceptionally ugly and give a seedy back alley feel to commercial main streets in Manhattan.

Simply doing that alone would help the city make a noticeably better first impression.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:03 PM

490 posts, read 608,606 times
They have banned them. And all current installations ones have to be phased out within a couple years.
Personally, I kind of like the atmosphere they created.

Old 04-11-2015, 06:07 PM

42,311 posts, read 49,920,131 times
New York City is just crowded and smelly. Tokyo is an extravaganza for the senses. A little bit of overload.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
They have banned them. And all current installations ones have to be phased out within a couple years.
Personally, I kind of like the atmosphere they created.
Nice. Which department put the ban in effect and when? Do you have links?

Also, do you think they will do something about all the seemingly unused ugly newspaper boxes?

Old 04-12-2015, 02:30 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,518,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimroo View Post
I have to agree that NYC is much more visually overwhelming than any part of Tokyo.
Tokyo feels too spread out for me, and the buildings are not very tall compared to other mega-cities.

Also foreigners find the crowds in Japan to be overwhelming but after years of commuting in Tokyo you start to feel nothing when squeezing into the 7am train.
I find it veeeeeery difficult to believe someone who lives in Tokyo would say this.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I find it veeeeeery difficult to believe someone who lives in Tokyo would say this.
I've got to agree. I think New York is the better city overall, and has improved by leaps and bounds since the 70s (even though it's backslid a little since the recession) but I don't find it all that great to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or