Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 151 72.95%
New York 56 27.05%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:11 PM

2,948 posts, read 2,916,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Tokyo definitely feels bigger and more overwhelming, and NYC definitely feels more impressive.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 03:00 PM

969 posts, read 825,516 times
Quote:
No, you just made that up.

NYC does not have a smell different from other major cities. If anything, it's much greener than most major cities.

What specific smell are you even referring to? The only really obvious smell in major cities is in the third world, where they have poor sanitation facilities, so you can sometimes smell the sewers. But no first world city has such a system. And even most third world cities don't have that smell anymore.
Please don't ever change NOLA.

The world would never feel quite the same.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:21 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
These Asian metropolises are a total nightmare for me. They have ZERO appeal to me whatsoever.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:00 AM

159 posts, read 177,486 times
It's great living in a dream world ... Until you wake up.

Quote:
No, you just made that up.

NYC does not have a smell different from other major cities. If anything, it's much greener than most major cities.

What specific smell are you even referring to? The only really obvious smell in major cities is in the third world, where they have poor sanitation facilities, so you can sometimes smell the sewers. But no first world city has such a system. And even most third world cities don't have that smell anymore.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:09 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
I honestly don't even know what I would do. The only reason I like any cities is their diversity and seeing famous places/landmarks. I dislike crowds. I don't like confined spaces. I am a picky eater and a strict vegetarian so I think food would be a huge issue. I'm not a huge fan of art, I lose interest very quick unless the artist is very famous. I don't really care about immersing myself in different cultures. I'm not usually attracted to Asian women. I am much more of a nature person. I would rather go to Nepal than to Shanghai. I can see how these places might appeal to some people, I guess if I am going to go to a megalopolis I'd rather go to NYC, L.A., London, Paris or Rio.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:22 PM

25 posts, read 35,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
It amazes me the lengths to which some New Yorkers will go to convince themselves they don't live in a cesspit. Most affluent young professionals I know of can't wait to get out of the city.
Another bitter Londoner, eh? This is what Londoners tell themselves out of spite, since Londoners generally flee that somber dump to New York or Los Angeles when they strike it rich. So many public examples of these people.

New York is perhaps the most desirable place for the affluent, given the sheer amounts of that group.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:24 PM

To answer this question, as a frequent visitor to both.

New York City is certainly more beautiful than Tokyo. Tokyo simply does not have the architecture you'd find in New York. Tokyo is actually quite unattractive, but it's much cleaner than large cities in the U.S. and Europe. On the other hand, Tokyo is certainly undoubtedly more overwhelming. It's much bigger than New York, both in land area and in population.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margiela View Post
Another bitter Londoner, eh? This is what Londoners tell themselves out of spite, since Londoners generally flee that somber dump to New York or Los Angeles when they strike it rich. So many public examples of these people.

New York is perhaps the most desirable place for the affluent, given the sheer amounts of that group.
I uprated this comment by mistake.

I was aiming for the "report a sockpuppet troll" button.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I uprated this comment by mistake.

I was aiming for the "report a sockpuppet troll" button.
Did I hurt your feelings?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margiela View Post
Did I hurt your feelings?
Come on now. I've already told you I wouldn't change you for the world.

Last edited by CTDominion; 04-13-2015 at 01:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World