U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 115 73.25%
New York 42 26.75%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 04:04 PM

801 posts, read 617,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
You can start with the smell.
I have been to all of the following municipalities;

NYC, NY
Yonkers, NY
Linden, NJ
Newark, NJ
Boston, MA
Lowell, MA
Washington DC
Seattle, WA
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO
DFW, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Jacksonville, FL
Cocoa, FL
Savannah, GA

NYC in general does not stink. Now, Chinese areas like 86th St in Brooklyn, you can smell before you see cuz' of their nastyas- versions of supermarkets.

Cocoa, Savannah, and St. Louis. Are. Sh-t. Holes.

Also, Savannah really does stink everywhere, it's like right in the middle of a putrid swamp and it's got paper-mill smell that adds to it.

Newark has a few sections that visually could be confused with Syrian news footage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM

250 posts, read 416,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I have been to all of the following municipalities;

NYC, NY
Yonkers, NY
Linden, NJ
Newark, NJ
Boston, MA
Lowell, MA
Washington DC
Seattle, WA
Chicago, IL
St. Louis, MO
DFW, TX
Phoenix, AZ
Jacksonville, FL
Cocoa, FL
Savannah, GA

NYC in general does not stink. Now, Chinese areas like 86th St in Brooklyn, you can smell before you see cuz' of their nastyas- versions of supermarkets.

Cocoa, Savannah, and St. Louis. Are. Sh-t. Holes.

Also, Savannah really does stink everywhere, it's like right in the middle of a putrid swamp and it's got paper-mill smell that adds to it.

Newark has a few sections that visually could be confused with Syrian news footage...
Outside of Manhattan, not too bad. It really depends on the direction of the wind and other atmospheric factors.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 4,497 times
Tokyo much less diverse, much easier to traverse due to public transpo. Much much much much safer than NYC. But NYC has everything as far as food and culture.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:19 AM

749 posts, read 2,110,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
These Asian metropolises are a total nightmare for me. They have ZERO appeal to me whatsoever.
Tokyo is a nightmare? It's much cleaner, more organized, more developed, more technologically advanced, zero crime, people are more formal and better dressed etc. The Bronx, Brownsville, high crime, graffiti, noise, smell, poverty, garbage, homelessness etc of NYC is much more of a nightmare compared to Tokyo. You sound like you don't travel much or have friends from other cultures and just want to stay at home and watch American sports and eat KFC.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I honestly don't even know what I would do. The only reason I like any cities is their diversity and seeing famous places/landmarks. I dislike crowds. I don't like confined spaces. I am a picky eater and a strict vegetarian so I think food would be a huge issue. I'm not a huge fan of art, I lose interest very quick unless the artist is very famous. I don't really care about immersing myself in different cultures. I'm not usually attracted to Asian women. I am much more of a nature person. I would rather go to Nepal than to Shanghai. I can see how these places might appeal to some people, I guess if I am going to go to a megalopolis I'd rather go to NYC, L.A., London, Paris or Rio.
You sound really boring.

Old 05-06-2018, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Which is still a long time. Many downtowns take 15 minutes to walk across, and Midtown is only a small part of downtown. Walk from 59th street to Battery Park, see how long it takes you, that's NY's real central area.

I've lived in NYC all my life and it's not remotely as big as Tokyo. I honestly feel a sense of relief returning to NYC from Tokyo because Tokyo is just much faster paced, more overwhelming and vastly bigger. Walking from 59th street to battery park could be done and wouldn't be a major feat.

Try walking from Shibuya to Nippori - that is more than twice the distance of 59th street to battery park and it is all overwhelmingly dense and lit up like times square all over the place during that journey.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:44 AM

42 posts, read 74,127 times
I just came back form my first visit of Japan. And i must say: Tokyo seems bigger than New York. The whole city-centre looks as big as the whole city of New York which is less dense outside of Manhattan...Tokyo is really impressive!

Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,331,046 times
Again, Tokyo > mostly any city worldwide.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:14 PM

171 posts, read 121,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Points of Convergence View Post
But does anywhere in Tokyo have the canyon feel of New York?
That canyon feel is overrated. I prefer cities with organic street patterns that you see in Tokyo and in London over the grid pattern in New York.

Anyway, I've just returned from Tokyo and it is definitely better than New York for me personally. New York actually has far more taller buildings than Tokyo. Outside the business districts of Nishi-Shinjuku, Maronouchi, maybe Nihonbashi, most buildings are actually less than 10 storeys high. The density comes from its organic street pattern. Outside the arterial roads, Tokyo's side streets are quite narrow that they become shared spaces themselves. For example, here is a typical side street in Asakusa. Its narrow enough that it doesn't have proper sidewalks, which in turn makes the entire street into a shared space. Pedestrians and cars intermingle on these streets, which are replicated throughout the city. Despite its size, the city feels walkable and human-scale because of this. It doesn't have that feeling that the city is overrun by cars, which you get in New York.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 PM

1,214 posts, read 822,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
You sound really boring.
They don't like artists unless they're really famous and they don't like immersing themselves in other cultures!!

Having visited both, Tokyo seems far larger than NYC. Both are cool though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or