U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 116 73.42%
New York 42 26.58%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Blighty
526 posts, read 455,014 times
Reputation: 593

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I don't know if I agree with your statement that "NYC is not a big city geographically" (it's metropolitan region might be the largest in the world geographically), but even stranger is that you then refer to Manhattan as a proxy for NYC's size.

You are aware that Manhattan is a relatively small part of the city, and tiny part of the region, correct? The vast majority of even the very urban neighborhoods in NYC proper are not in Manhattan.
From what I gather from the OP we are talking about city boundaries proper. Not metropolitan areas, because that obviously opens up a whole new can of worms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Many seem to refer to Manhattan as a reference point for New York City anyway. Or at the very least use it as a comparative, foundational basis on which to compare the size and qualitative features of the other districts.

Especially those who proclaim it to be the "greatest city on earth" after selectively touristing the Fifth Avenue corridor, Theater District and isolated parts of Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 AM
 
1,616 posts, read 1,851,089 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
From what I gather from the OP we are talking about city boundaries proper. Not metropolitan areas, because that obviously opens up a whole new can of worms.
Then what is the point of the thread? City propers are arbitrary and not really comparable in terms of apples-to-apples comparison. According to city proper only, Sydney, AUS is a small town. Paris has tiny city limits. San Francisco is 1/20 as big as Jacksonville FL.

Doesn't really sound like a worthwhile thread comparing random city limits that are irrelevant to a city's real size.

And, in the case of NYC, the city proper covers around 300 square miles, the vast majority of which is quite urban. I would not call that particularly "small".

Tokyo, BTW, doesn't really have "city limits" in the American sense. It has a very different administrative framework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:35 AM
 
1,616 posts, read 1,851,089 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Many seem to refer to Manhattan as a reference point for New York City anyway. Or at the very least use it as a comparative, foundational basis on which to compare the size and qualitative features of the other districts.

Especially those who proclaim it to be the "greatest city on earth" after selectively touristing the Fifth Avenue corridor, Theater District and isolated parts of Downtown.
I don't know who these people are. Obviously Manhattan is the city center, and like all city centers, is representative of the city as a whole, but I don't know how this is different than any other city on earth. Who looks at Paris by considering some banal apartment block suburb north of the city?

Are you suggesting we compare cities by ignoring their city centers? Compare suburban London to NJ to outer Tokyo or something? I guess we could do that, but what would be the point? Compare city's relative iconic feel by looking at the least iconic parts? Secaucus vs. St. Denis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Satellite Of Love
296 posts, read 375,296 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I don't know if I agree with your statement that "NYC is not a big city geographically" (it's metropolitan region might be the largest in the world geographically), but even stranger is that you then refer to Manhattan as a proxy for NYC's size.

You are aware that Manhattan is a relatively small part of the city, and tiny part of the region, correct? The vast majority of even the very urban neighborhoods in NYC proper are not in Manhattan.
Do people even bother to read opening posts?

My reference to Manhattan is because the OP alludes to its characteristics in his discussion. It is not intended as a "proxy" for the rest of NY -- especially so given that I much prefer BK over Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:43 AM
 
1,616 posts, read 1,851,089 times
Reputation: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBucks View Post

My reference to Manhattan is because the OP alludes specifically to its characteristics in his discussion of urbanity and density.
Again, most of NYC's urbanity and density isn't in Manhattan.

So, again, why would someone consider Manhattan alone when looking at NYC's urbanity and density?

If you removed Manhattan, NYC would still be, by far (like by many times over) the densest and most urban U.S city. The majority of people living in high-density census tracts in the NYC area are not living in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Satellite Of Love
296 posts, read 375,296 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
From what I gather from the OP we are talking about city boundaries proper. Not metropolitan areas, because that obviously opens up a whole new can of worms.
Also New York's metropolitan area is not as contiguous as Tokyo's so comparing both metro areas has a number of pitfalls. There was a residential density map of both zones posted a while ago that seemed to show the NY metro area as a loose collective of outlying towns/cities clustered on the municipal area. Tokyo's looked more evenly distributed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Satellite Of Love
296 posts, read 375,296 times
Reputation: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Again, most of NYC's urbanity and density isn't in Manhattan.

So, again, why would someone consider Manhattan alone when looking at NYC's urbanity and density?
Then speak to the OP about that. I'm just responding to what he's written about Manhattan. What part of this point do you not understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
2,346 posts, read 3,197,385 times
Reputation: 1077
LOL what is with you asking these blatantly obvious questions?

NYC is obviously more worldly and Tokyo obviously feels bigger.

Duh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 AM
 
Location: Blighty
526 posts, read 455,014 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
And, in the case of NYC, the city proper covers around 300 square miles, the vast majority of which is quite urban. I would not call that particularly "small".

Tokyo, BTW, doesn't really have "city limits" in the American sense. It has a very different administrative framework.
Again you're talking (or admixing features of) density against an argument about geographic size.

Defining and comparing cities by defining boundaries is almost always fraught with problems. This is not confined to comparisons between NYC and Tokyo. Still, Tokyo consists of a 840 sq mile "metropolis" of 12 million contained within a much larger metro area, which would serve as a more appropriate comparison for the municipal boundaries of NYC (even if they serve different functions in an administrative sense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top