Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels bigger to you?
Tokyo 151 72.95%
New York 56 27.05%
Voters: 207. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 03:19 AM

282 posts, read 350,904 times

Advertisements

New York certainly wins the looks contest, but Tokyo feels more overwhelming because it's much larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 04:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I find it veeeeeery difficult to believe someone who lives in Tokyo would say this.
There are a couple neighborhoods in Tokyo with a lot of lights, and a pinball arcade feel (Shinjuku) that honestly feel like a trip, but honestly that's a small percentage of Tokyo. Most of Tokyo isn't special at all.

And his buildings point is spot on, there is no area of Tokyo where you will get the cluster of high rises of Manhattan (which is what I'm guessing he means by 'visually stunning'). Most of Tokyo is really at Brooklyn structural density if that helps. A lot of mid rises, throughout the city.

The thing is, it's Brooklyn density that stretches for a LA footprint.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
Nice. Which department put the ban in effect and when? Do you have links?

Also, do you think they will do something about all the seemingly unused ugly newspaper boxes?
Google it: "roll down shutter ban." Those newspaper boxes are all used. Some neighborhoods have implemented their own unified stands rather than the individual boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not the Maginot Line View Post
(even though it's backslid a little since the recession)
BS. The biggest problem since the recession has been that the city has been too popular and too many people are moving here, causing havoc with our infrastructure and real estate prices. The city has never been more safe, populous, productive, or contained as many revitalized areas in its history.

P.S. I don't think New York became the iconic city it is by trying to look nice for tourists. If you want DC's or Paris' streetscape in New York, then visit those cities instead.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:30 AM

159 posts, read 177,516 times
It amazes me the lengths to which some New Yorkers will go to convince themselves they don't live in a cesspit. Most affluent young professionals I know of can't wait to get out of the city.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:31 AM

225 posts, read 216,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Google it: "roll down shutter ban." Those newspaper boxes are all used. Some neighborhoods have implemented their own unified stands rather than the individual boxes.

BS. The biggest problem since the recession has been that the city has been too popular and too many people are moving here, causing havoc with our infrastructure and real estate prices. The city has never been more safe, populous, productive, or contained as many revitalized areas in its history.

P.S. I don't think New York became the iconic city it is by trying to look nice for tourists. If you want DC's or Paris' streetscape in New York, then visit those cities instead.
Wouldn't you say worsening infrastructure and overinflated retail markets, among other issues, are pretty significant problems?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:48 AM

499 posts, read 793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
It amazes me the lengths to which some New Yorkers will go to convince themselves they don't live in a cesspit. Most affluent young professionals I know of can't wait to get out of the city.
Then I'm sorry you have such depressing contacts who can't take control of their lives.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:19 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Tokyo definitely feels bigger and more overwhelming, and NYC definitely feels more impressive.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
And that would be why NYC has more affluent young professionals than any other city on earth, and far more wealth overall than any city on earth?

If NYC is a "cesspit" then why is it most likely the most desirable city on earth? What would make NYC a "cesspit"?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 PM

969 posts, read 825,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What would make NYC a "cesspit"?

You can start with the smell.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
You can start with the smell.
No, you just made that up.

NYC does not have a smell different from other major cities. If anything, it's much greener than most major cities.

What specific smell are you even referring to? The only really obvious smell in major cities is in the third world, where they have poor sanitation facilities, so you can sometimes smell the sewers. But no first world city has such a system. And even most third world cities don't have that smell anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World