Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

I believe it started when Carter failed to take military action against Iran in 1979. The whole world expected it and it was fully justified. Had Carter done what was necessary, the Soviets wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan, Sadam wouldn't have happened, Osama wouldn't have happened, and we wouldn't be on the defensive everywhere as we are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:18 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I believe it started when Carter failed to take military action against Iran in 1979. The whole world expected it and it was fully justified. Had Carter done what was necessary, the Soviets wouldn't have invaded Afghanistan, Sadam wouldn't have happened, Osama wouldn't have happened, and we wouldn't be on the defensive everywhere as we are today.
I completely disagree... America has so many enemies in that region because of our involvement in that region. You really think there would be no organized terrorist group if America invaded Iran in 1979? America needs to be more selective with their involvement in world conflicts. We need to stop getting so involved and funding dictators, so they will somewhat listen to us, meanwhile the citizens in that country suffer. Would they suffer without our involvement, yes, but at least they wouldn't be partially blaming us. When a country spreads itself too thin, a collapse will eventually happen. I don't get Conservatives in this country saying they are for small government, small spending, yet they are the first ones to want to go to war and increase military spending, military bases etc. George Bush made war something very easy to do, which is a horrible precedent. We started two wars, yet we didn't have to sacrifice anything. In fact, we received TWO tax breaks! We got a bonus for going to war. Before when America went to war, Americans sacrificed a lot, which made war not as enticing. In Vietnam, families across the country sacrificed because of the draft. Do some research as to how Americans sacrificed during WWII. Never has going to war been easier for Americans. I'm sure if the draft was still in effect or the government said we need to increases taxes across the board by 10%, the Iraq War would never of happened.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:47 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I see the United States remaining on top for at least another 50 years. That will be the end of my lifetime, after that I really don't care anymore.
Pretty much. By that time I will have made my money and passed it on to my children. I will also teach them how to fish.

Then they can go on and live in the next "great nation" if they want to. :-)

Old 03-20-2014, 12:04 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggin of Rum View Post
Correlate that with a chart of national debt, retail market fundamentals, labour force participation rate, and food stamp usage.
National debt is an issue, Russia is the only country with a good National debt as percentage of total GDP.... but i don't think anyone is predicting Russia becoming more of a super power than America.

Retail sales are going up....

Retiring baby boomers have a big impact on the labor force participation rate.

Food stamp usage slightly went down.... it was never even over 20% and i don't think its bad for a country to feed its citizens so i don't see a big deal or think its a good indicator if the country is losing its seat as a superpower.

The United States is a cultural, economical and military superpower by a large margin.... Russia wins in natural resources and land size..... China wins in population.... Central African nations win population growth rate and GDP growth rate.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:22 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The US suffers from crippling debt and severely low and embarrassing levels of education. Also, US infrastructure is completely dependent on automobiles. Once resources to power automobiles deplete, the US will basically devolve into a third world country due to poor planning and short-sighted infrastructure which was never sustainable to begin with. Asian countries will inevitably dominate the US in every way imaginable.

The fact that our military is strong now hardly matters since our technology will eventually become inferior to future technology. Civilizations with state of the art militaries have come and gone plenty of times. The US will simply repeat history.
Why and how anyone would argue with this puzzles me.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I completely disagree... America has so many enemies in that region because of our involvement in that region. You really think there would be no organized terrorist group if America invaded Iran in 1979? America needs to be more selective with their involvement in world conflicts. We need to stop getting so involved and funding dictators, so they will somewhat listen to us, meanwhile the citizens in that country suffer. Would they suffer without our involvement, yes, but at least they wouldn't be partially blaming us. When a country spreads itself too thin, a collapse will eventually happen. I don't get Conservatives in this country saying they are for small government, small spending, yet they are the first ones to want to go to war and increase military spending, military bases etc. George Bush made war something very easy to do, which is a horrible precedent. We started two wars, yet we didn't have to sacrifice anything. In fact, we received TWO tax breaks! We got a bonus for going to war. Before when America went to war, Americans sacrificed a lot, which made war not as enticing. In Vietnam, families across the country sacrificed because of the draft. Do some research as to how Americans sacrificed during WWII. Never has going to war been easier for Americans. I'm sure if the draft was still in effect or the government said we need to increases taxes across the board by 10%, the Iraq War would never of happened.
Correct. Bush II will be remembered as one of the worst in our nation's history.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:03 PM

301 posts, read 521,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This has always been happening.... developing nations... well... develop fast... (rising wealth, strength, etc..) that is why we call them developing nations.
They used to be called third world countries, it's only recently that they have started to develop after being in poverty for centuries.

Today, for the first time in history almost every country on earth is now rising. As recently as fifty years ago it was only western countries, plus Japan, British Hong Kong and British Singapore that were rich, the rest of the world was poor.
But now the rest of the world is catching us up, our time as the sole leaders of the world is over

Old 03-20-2014, 02:08 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
They used to be called third world countries, it's only recently that they have started to develop after centuries of poverty.
For the first time in history almost every country on earth is now rising. As recently as fifty years ago it was only western countries, plus Japan, British Hong Kong and British Singapore that were rich, the rest of the world was poor.
But now our time as the sole world leaders is over
This is true, I wouldn't say America is the "sole" world power, but I would say it has the most world power out of all other countries, but it isn't the only one with great power.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:10 PM

No I meant the western world was the sole world power, Europe and North America

Old 03-20-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The US suffers from crippling debt and severely low and embarrassing levels of education. Also, US infrastructure is completely dependent on automobiles. Once resources to power automobiles deplete, the US will basically devolve into a third world country due to poor planning and short-sighted infrastructure which was never sustainable to begin with. Asian countries will inevitably dominate the US in every way imaginable.

The fact that our military is strong now hardly matters since our technology will eventually become inferior to future technology. Civilizations with state of the art militaries have come and gone plenty of times. The US will simply repeat history.
I don't think it will happen like that, if America ever felt in real threat they have the abilities to stack the dice.
In today's world we are used to small wars with civilised military conduct, we have forgotten what 'total war' is.
in total war America could invade and occupy half the planet.
If there was no human rights laws and no geneva convention the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan would have only lasted a few days.
It would be stupid to assume that America would do nothing and just watch themselves slowly decline, they will not go down without a fight.
it would be incredibly stupid to think that they would abide by conventions and human rights laws in times of real threat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World