Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 12:33 PM

872 posts, read 1,384,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The Catholic Church is clear about the sex for non-reproductive purposes. I don't know if catholics in other parts of the world follow so strictly the doctrine of the Vatican, but in Brazil most of them do not. Catholics are much more relaxed and less conservative about religion than most of the neopentecostal adherents. There is of course a lot of people carrying chaplets, portraits of Mary, stickers in the cars stating "I'm happy because I'm catholic", but many of them will also disagree with the Pope in questions about sex and contraceptive methods. And curiously, many brazilian catholics believe in reincarnation.

Declared non-believers, including atheist, agnostic or "spiritual but not religious" accounts for about 10% of the brazilian people, but since not all of them declare publicly their belief (or non-belief), the number may be higher.
Just out of curiosity, where do they get these beliefs about reincarnation from? From native traditions, or New Age beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do they get these beliefs about reincarnation from? From native traditions, or New Age beliefs?
Mostly throug the influence of the Kardecism, a religion also very strong in Brazil.
Almost nothing of the ancient indigenous traditions remain in Brazil outside the indigenous reserves.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:03 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
The Catholic Church is clear about the sex for non-reproductive purposes. I don't know if catholics in other parts of the world follow so strictly the doctrine of the Vatican, but in Brazil most of them do not. Catholics are much more relaxed and less conservative about religion than most of the neopentecostal adherents. There is of course a lot of people carrying chaplets, portraits of Mary, stickers in the cars stating "I'm happy because I'm catholic", but many of them will also disagree with the Pope in questions about sex and contraceptive methods. And curiously, many brazilian catholics believe in reincarnation.

Declared non-believers, including atheist, agnostic or "spiritual but not religious" accounts for about 10% of the brazilian people, but since not all of them declare publicly their belief (or non-belief), the number may be higher.
Interesting. I knew there was a mix of traditional beliefs, maybe voodoo etc, but first I've heard about this. How does that fit into beliefs about paradise, purgatory and hell? Do they believe that the reincarnation is for a certain time, perhaps until judgemental day?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:08 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,223 times
African religious influences brought by the slaves seem to have a lot of influence in Brazil. I wonder if the reincarnation belief comes from them or from native influence?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
African religious influences brought by the slaves seem to have a lot of influence in Brazil. I wonder if the reincarnation belief comes from them or from native influence?
I would not say "a lot", but there are, of course, many adherents of african religions. Those with most adherents are the so-called Candomblé, which is polytheist and has many features resembling the shamanism, and the Umbanda, which is a form fo syncretism mixing african beliefs and Christianity. However, I guess there are much more followers of the Kardecism than to african religions.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 03-14-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Interesting. I knew there was a mix of traditional beliefs, maybe voodoo etc, but first I've heard about this. How does that fit into beliefs about paradise, purgatory and hell? Do they believe that the reincarnation is for a certain time, perhaps until judgemental day?
Amongst the neopentecostal people, the belief is what states the Bible more or less literally. In the Catholicism generally the belief in the afterlife is generally what is said by the Vatican, but many of them (not all, and not even the majority, it should be clear) believe that God would be bad if He condemn anyone to the aeternal pain and not give another chance to those who died under sin. Thus, they believe in reincarnation and also in the dogmata of the Roman Catholic Church not involving the afterlife. Very curious, but it happens.

Last edited by Rozenn; 03-15-2014 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Posts moved

Old 03-14-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Amongst the neopentecostal people, the belief is what states the Bible more or less literally. In the Catholicism generally the belief in the afterlife is generally what is said by the Vatican, but many of them (not all, and not even the majority, it should be clear) believe that God would be bad if He condemn anyone to the aeternal pain and not give another chance to those who died under sin. Thus, they believe in reincarnation and also in the dogmata of the Roman Catholic Church not involving the afterlife. Very curious, but it happens.

Perhaps a new topic about religion would be good...
Yes I think more people are questioning the idea that God will send people to eternal torment, for good reason it's not merciful at all.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:36 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Most lower-class Catholics in Latin America have no idea the Catholic Church forbids intercourse for non-reproductive purposes, and don't believe you if you tell them.

Reincarnation isn't incompatible with Catholicism, is it? Catholicism used to include reincarnation.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most lower-class Catholics in Latin America have no idea the Catholic Church forbids intercourse for non-reproductive purposes, and don't believe you if you tell them.

Reincarnation isn't incompatible with Catholicism, is it? Catholicism used to include reincarnation.
The doctrine in the Catholicism is not clear about the reincarnation, but most catholic scholars don't believe in it.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

The Church is pretty clear reincarnation is a heretical belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World