U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 AM
JL

7,303 posts, read 11,399,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Google Street View has come a long way!

I often zoom out to the world map and just randomly drop the street view in different parts of the globe. It makes me excited for my next overseas trip. If you haven't used Google Maps Street view in awhile, you should check it. They have so much more global coverage now and once again it's mostly HD as well.

https://www.google.com/maps

Drag the yellow person in the bottom right corner to any highlighted blue area on the World Map.
Only before going there...once i get there, i don't use it since i can ask the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 12,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHuskies630 View Post
Absolutely, but I despise the new layout. I reverted back to the classic google maps because I found the new one very user unfriendly.
The new one is awful for street viewing. It initially didn't even have the street view Avatar, but they added it again after many people complained.

If you (anyone reading this) want to use the previous version still, just click on the question mark at the bottom right hand corner and select "Classic Map" or whatever it says.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 PM

9 posts, read 12,524 times
The best thing about street view is it allows people who don't have the time or money to travel extensively to get a feel for a place. The only way we could do that before was by watching travel videos and looking at photos, but those give only the best impression. I use it a lot.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:40 AM

138 posts, read 94,034 times
I've notice Google since they got into mobile phones they haven't updated Street View very much and if they do it is done quietly.

I remember when the UK had a huge update in addition to the American cities and now they seem to be more interested in 3rd world countries and mostly doing little things here and there like the recent one with India.

Why is that? I actually have found images outside of cities from 2008 and sometimes even 2007!!! I believe I found some of the oldest images on their database and wish to know why is it they seem to have stopped caring?

I figured by now we would even have rivers/canals on street view for a majority of the world or *train view* which was announced a few years ago where they would go on a train and film the entire line from station to station. You would think the majority of railroad tracks at least the ones that are most heavily used in Britain and America would be up by now.

Google Street View has had so much potential to be creative that they are not exploring very well and only do *blurbs* every now and then mostly then. When Street View first started in the mid 2000s they did major updates twice a month usually in which I looked forward to their BIG announcements.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:44 AM

138 posts, read 94,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicCobb View Post
The new one is awful for street viewing. It initially didn't even have the street view Avatar, but they added it again after many people complained.

If you (anyone reading this) want to use the previous version still, just click on the question mark at the bottom right hand corner and select "Classic Map" or whatever it says.
I've notice that Google seems to stop caring about their maps since the mid 2000s and their updates have been crappier and crappier? Are they mostly focused on cell phones now?

Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 AM

42,670 posts, read 70,989,120 times
They can';t be everywhere at once. Do you want them to expand into new countries, of do you want them to keep going back to Kokomo Indiana and doing that over and over again every few months?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:54 AM

33,154 posts, read 51,068,101 times
Much of the world's available satellite imagery are no more than 3 years old and updated on a regular basis, and they do expand the Street View every year:
Google Street View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
However they stopped taking Street View images in Germany and temporarily stopped taking street images in India, after receiving a letter from the local authorities.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM

600 posts, read 522,307 times
Must be a preey cool job; going around the world taking images.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:51 PM
JL

7,303 posts, read 11,399,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicCobb View Post
The best thing about street view is it allows people who don't have the time or money to travel extensively to get a feel for a place. The only way we could do that before was by watching travel videos and looking at photos, but those give only the best impression. I use it a lot.
I'm hoping people would post more videos of popular areas within a city, so people around the world can see...maybe a street area or certain part of town...with a scooter or car cam....something like this, but driving slowly to make it more like a tour ride vid mentioning interesting things....no need to do it straight from your office or house though...lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp5cnIdtUXQ

OR travel videos like you mentioned using drones for the city...similar to this here, but for specific neighborhoods...not easy to do obviously.

Last edited by JL; 04-05-2014 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-06-2014, 01:17 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,314,995 times
I very often have a look around places i have never been and some i have but lately if i go to street view it is like a cartoon, anyone have the answer ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or