U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM

6,615 posts, read 11,716,320 times

Advertisements

Kev I'm surprised to hear British people doing that in Portugal. I wonder if its a lot of retirees.

American retirees in Mexico and the Bahamas certainly cling together. Many live in their own gated communities that are predominantly American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,588,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Not really. It's only nostalgia and revisionist history that makes people think other immigrant groups were any better at assimilating. Here's a quote from Ben Franklin on German immigrants.

"Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our language or customs, any more than they can acquire our complexion."

The only difference between more assimilated groups and less assimilated groups, is that the less assimilated groups saw continued immigration from their home country to America. Thus, as one generation assimilated into American culture, a new wave of immigrants took their place, creating the perception that they weren't assimilating.
Yep. There are American expat enclaves in Mexico (Chapala, San Miguel de Allende, Cabo San Lucas) where Americans speak mostly English and cling to American culture. All immigrant groups in various countries tend to do it.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:14 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,588,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I am Chinese and Taiwanese American by ethnicity and am very assimilated. While I've been influenced in superficial ways by the Chinese culture of my parents, overall I identify simply with mainstream American culture and Southern culture. I did not grow up around many other Asians. Most of my life I've also lived in places that are almost completely white and black with some Hispanics but few Asians. I know Chinese Americans from areas with larger Asian populations, especially California and New York, seem to stick together and self segregate but this is less true for Chinese people from other states.

I wouldn't say that Chinese and Indian immigrants in the US cling together more than Mexicans or blacks. Many blacks self segregate and keep their own culture despite being here for hundreds of years. First generation Chinese and Mexican often cling together for language purposes too.

I honestly think the immigrant group that MOST clings to their culture is the Arabs and Muslims. This is true in the US and even more true in Europe, sometimes with very disturbing results like "Londonistan" and the fact that over a third of British Muslims supported the London subway bombings. The Islamic religion and culture is VERY insular. Many British Muslims and American Muslims do not identify with the country at all, while many Chinese Americans who culturally seem unassimilated still cheer for the US over China in the Olympics, same with many Mexican Americans. Many Muslim girls in the US are still forced to wear headscarves and have arranged marriages by their parents.
I have a lot of Muslim-American friends, some wear the scarf, some don't. I find them to be normal girls who have incorporated well into American society. They are like most other immigrant groups, and I find them to be very nice and peaceful people. Even though I am not Muslim, it doesn't matter. We have normal female to female conversations.

Its a shame what is happening with the rebel Muslims but how about giving people a chance as individuals and not judging them all based on the actions of a few?

Old 03-20-2014, 10:16 AM

15,781 posts, read 18,417,369 times
By the way, I am a big proponent of people keeping elements of their traditional cultures even when they immigrate to a new country.

Thank goodness that the United States is a country which accepts and promotes this philosophy.

The world would be boring as hell if everyone had the same culture. Variety is spicy and the more the merrier.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM

318 posts, read 461,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
By the way, I am a big proponent of people keeping elements of their traditional cultures even when they immigrate to a new country.

Thank goodness that the United States is a country which accepts and promotes this philosophy.

The world would be boring as hell if everyone had the same culture. Variety is spicy and the more the merrier.
By your logic most countries in the world are boring as hell, because in most countries everybody has the same culture.

Most countries in the world are not multicultural.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,822,463 times
I deliberately have not read other posts on this thread. I think Indian and Chinese people are excellent migrants because they are very adaptive. They usually are very well educated and willing to adapt to the host country. They are an asset to any country they chose to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or