U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 09:31 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,203,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah she doesnt, or maybe hangs around teenagers. Then again a lot of teens here would not have heard of hendrix...
I do hang out around teenagers a lot, it is my job !!!

I asked around 2-3friends if they heard of jimi Hendrick, they are around 30, and they have no idea who he is too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 09:55 AM

15,830 posts, read 18,468,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I do hang out around teenagers a lot, it is my job !!!

I asked around 2-3friends if they heard of jimi Hendrick, they are around 30, and they have no idea who he is too
Okay, well then maybe people around the world need a little more ejumacating. lol.

Jimi Hendrix is the man who literally invented the concept of "Rock Guitar God."

EVERYBODY who came after Hendrix owes allegiance to his innovation. They are more or less immitators of what he did first.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:56 AM

22 posts, read 17,138 times
Quote:
Yes these are known but not those like queen , deep purple etc
Most Singaporeans have never heard of Queen? Really? If you've never listened to much Rock music, it's possible that you'd never hear much about Deep Purple, but Queen are more of a Pop/Rock band that were a lot more mainstream.

You've never heard either of these?

From my own experience in Japan/Korea, Queen (along with The Beatles and Rolling Stones) were a Western rock band that everyone had heard of.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:13 AM

Rolling Stones concert over here 10 days ago in Singapore the gig was attended by around 5000..there was no 2nd night whatsoever

Old 03-25-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Rolling stones concert was attended by around 4500 crowd.. If you wanna round up a bit put it 5k..Was sold out though

Lady Gaga played 3 night in Singapore Indoor stadium that has a capacity of 7000-9000 depending on stage setup...

Acts like Bruno Mars, Avril Lavringe concert attendances can be estimated at 6000...

How does it sound to you ?
Interesting. Iron Maiden played that venue in 2011. They played to a lot more people than the numbers you've given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Maybe Singapore has only recently become interested in Western music. I don't think places like India and China would know too much about Western music either to be fair although Indian musician Ravi Shankar became quite well known in the West through the Beatles.

Any Rolling Stones concert tickets would sell like hotcakes anywhere in USA, Canada, Australia, NZ or Europe. Demand would far outstrip supply.

From what you are saying I don't know how the Stones would go in Singapore. As you said they don't go for 'aged artistes'.
I think there is a greater knowledge of Western music in India than China.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore36 View Post
Interesting. Iron Maiden played that venue in 2011. They played to a lot more people than the numbers you've given.

I think there is a greater knowledge of Western music in India than China.

Rolling Stones show on 15 mar (10 days ago ) was not at the indoor stadium .. Was at marina bay sands ..the indoor stadium that night was booked by Korean band Big Bang

You can go to wikipedia for more info abt capacity of Singapore indoor stadium

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:

Lady Gaga played 3 night in Singapore Indoor stadium that has a capacity of 7000-9000 depending on stage setup...

Acts like Bruno Mars, Avril Lavringe concert attendances can be estimated at 6000...

How does it sound to you ?
"The seating capacity ranges from 7,000 to 12,000, depending on the position and size of the stage required, and its versatility is enhanced by 2,660 retractable seats and 1,200 portable seats"

I've heard the Iron Maiden concert was closer to 12,000. This number includes fans coming to Singapore from nearby countries: Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia.

Anyway, back on topic.

Have you listened to these bands I posted earlier:

The Chemical Brothers

Underworld

Another band you might like is Gorillaz

Last edited by RMoore36; 03-25-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM

I asked another 5 friends in their 30s if they heard of him before and knew who Jimi Hendrick was . Only 2 knew..

i am not alone in not knowing who he is in Singapore

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-25-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,806,165 times
Who cares anyway? He is known worldwide, if you and your fellow Singaporians don't what does it matter? The British don't need lectures from anyone when it comes to music - America and only America can match or surpass our musical history, culture, quality and quantity.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Who cares anyway? He is known worldwide, if you and your fellow Singaporians don't what does it matter? The British don't need lectures from anyone when it comes to music - America and only America can match or surpass our musical history, culture, quality and quantity.
Indeed .. So don't use your Anglosphere standard and say all credibility is lost when i say dont know who Jimi Hendrick is.

That is a very narrow minded Anglosphere opinion /comment.

Not knowing who Jimi is does not mean we are living in some place that is not called Earth !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or