U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:21 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,186,048 times

Advertisements

Hmm the clubbing , bar scene isn't that great compared to say Hong Kong or Bangkok..

What were the songs that accompanied me through growing years..

Some of these include..

when i was a high school (sec sch ) - Vannessa Williams - Colours of the wind.

Cant remember who was the singer.. Have you ever really loved a woman

Seal - Kiss by a rose

the wonders - That thing you do.

songs like sheryl crow all i wanna do

eric clapton's change the world... my classmate was always singing that song..Ha Ha..

Then .. songs like .. Westlife, backstreet boys... maroon 5

This love, sunday morning shape of my heart.. I want it that way..

Bon Jovi.. Carnberries... It's my life.. Bad medicine.. Living a prayer.. of course one of my all time favourite zombie...

then christina aguilera and britney spears... Genie, I turn to you.. What a girl wants,, Baby one more time.. Womanizer.. Oops i did it again.. Sometimes..

Nync - Bye Bye Bye...

More recents

Bruno Mars - grenade, Rihanna - Umbrella..
lady gaga- paparazzi , bad romance, poker face, and born this way
Justin TImberlake- Mirror.
Jessie J - Price Tag
One Directions - Best song ever, What makes you beautiful..

Last note.. i really find Best song ever lacking in a vibe that make it a best song ever
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:25 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
I don't know why you are so adamant in making out your fellow citizens clueless about music?

What is the point you are trying to make? If what your saying is true it just makes people from Singapore look commercialized and unknowlegeable about music.

Don't know why you would try and do that?

All you have seemed to listen to over the years is chart music.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,074,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Brits party way harder than Americans. Just visit Ibiza in the summer months.
For sure. Where I live young Brits have the reputation of drinking until they fall down in their own vomit or punch someone in the face. Relative to them, Americans in the same age group are considered better behaved.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:59 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,430,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Hmm there is a pretty good Singaporean female singer Tanya Chua, i can't really specify a special song that you should listen to, maybe you can search her in Youtube and randomly find some songs that may interest you.

Corrinne May is another that you may want to give a try as well

Corrinne May - On The Side Of Me - YouTube
Wow that Corinne May song is beautiful. She's kind of like Sarah McLachlan and there's even a hint of Tori Amos in there. I'll check the others out when I get home as they may be on Spotify.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I don't know why you are so adamant in making out your fellow citizens clueless about music?

What is the point you are trying to make? If what your saying is true it just makes people from Singapore look commercialized and unknowlegeable about music.

Don't know why you would try and do that?
Maybe it's the truth?

Again, I asked my colleagues the same question at work today after reading this totally unnecessary spat, and not a single one of my coworkers, who range in age from 20 to 35, knew who Hendrix was. A couple of them are musicians. The one male coworker I have here, who's 32, knew who Elvis was. He asked me if Jimi Hendrix was like Metallica and then threw metal. They've all asked me if Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are really popular in the US, and there were signs for an Avril Levigne concert up a few weeks back, so I think that most of what trickles over here is indeed highly-commercialized music, because that's what has the financial backing to get to the forefront.

Keep in mind that Asian music tastes are vastly different from Western music tastes on the whole. I'm not a fan of Cantopop or K-pop, because I was born and raised around rock music and later played in punk, hardcore, and alt-rock bands. Even the young guys here who buy electric guitars tend to be more into playing Chinese pop-rock ballads, which are way softer than most of what we're used to, than they are learning to copy Slash or Hammett songs.

Quote:
All you have seemed to listen to over the years is chart music.
Yeah, it does to an extent, but I don't think that invalidates her experiences in what people in Singapore have heard of. If anything, it may be a good barometer of the musical differences between the cultures that every Brit, American, Aussie, and European here all know these classic artists, but she doesn't. I'm sure you could find some kid in SG who plays guitar and is way into rock who knows who Jimi Hendrix is, but that's not proof that people in Singapore know who he is, it's proof that no matter where you are in the world, you can find rock fans and metalheads if you look hard enough.

Most people who have heard of all these classic rock bands probably wouldn't know the difference between a Bach or a Mozart piece when they heard it, nor would they know the difference between Stravinsky and Holst. Does that mean that they aren't music fans?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,368,348 times
Don't be too harsh on singaporegirl - I never heard of Fleetwood Mac until I was 18.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
I hate DIO and Motörhead.

I know them, but I hate them. I also know that Ronnie James Dio is dead.

I listened to Fleetwood Mac when I was a kid.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:34 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Well maybe my country, Scotland, is just different. Because 16 year olds listen to Hendrix, Rolling Stones and the like. Legends are legends ......... plus most people are into rock and roll here.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:14 AM

1,913 posts, read 2,430,450 times
Fleetwood who??

Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 PM

1,267 posts, read 857,351 times
It's not that she (and her country) are underexposed to western music, it's that she's using such ridiculous examples to determine who "parties harder". We've given her several examples and all she's really come back with is "x" isn't known is Singapore and Lady Gaga has sold out a few shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or