U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,218,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
This thread is becoming a joke!

Nobody cares if anyone has heard of Jimi Hendrix. The guy is an icon and sh*ts all over One Direction, N'Sync or whoever. Their music is complete garbage with no meaning and no hope of lasting the test of time.

Jimi lives on through his superb TALENT.
You are definitely free to make him your religion ..no one will stop you.. But there is no need to sh*t on people who do not feel that much for him and are not aware of him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,881,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
This thread is becoming a joke!

Nobody cares if anyone has heard of Jimi Hendrix. The guy is an icon and sh*ts all over One Direction, N'Sync or whoever. Their music is complete garbage with no meaning and no hope of lasting the test of time.

Jimi lives on through his superb TALENT.
Yes I agree Paul. The whole thread is a joke because Singaporelady decided that the Americans party harder than the British not because she has any actual experience of the said nationalities but because of her very limited knowledge of British and American music. That is why I asked if she had heard of Jimi Hendrix.

How can you base a decision on not even experiencing actual British and Americans partying but on a very narrow and shallow definition of music from these countries?

I don't mind people asking these very subjective questions but at least if you are going to make your decision by using the music of these countries have a bit of knowledge on the subject for starters.

It just comes off a bit silly.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Maybe it's the truth?

Again, I asked my colleagues the same question at work today after reading this totally unnecessary spat, and not a single one of my coworkers, who range in age from 20 to 35, knew who Hendrix was. A couple of them are musicians. The one male coworker I have here, who's 32, knew who Elvis was. He asked me if Jimi Hendrix was like Metallica and then threw metal. They've all asked me if Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are really popular in the US, and there were signs for an Avril Levigne concert up a few weeks back, so I think that most of what trickles over here is indeed highly-commercialized music, because that's what has the financial backing to get to the forefront.

Keep in mind that Asian music tastes are vastly different from Western music tastes on the whole. I'm not a fan of Cantopop or K-pop, because I was born and raised around rock music and later played in punk, hardcore, and alt-rock bands. Even the young guys here who buy electric guitars tend to be more into playing Chinese pop-rock ballads, which are way softer than most of what we're used to, than they are learning to copy Slash or Hammett songs.

Yeah, it does to an extent, but I don't think that invalidates her experiences in what people in Singapore have heard of. If anything, it may be a good barometer of the musical differences between the cultures that every Brit, American, Aussie, and European here all know these classic artists, but she doesn't. I'm sure you could find some kid in SG who plays guitar and is way into rock who knows who Jimi Hendrix is, but that's not proof that people in Singapore know who he is, it's proof that no matter where you are in the world, you can find rock fans and metalheads if you look hard enough.

Most people who have heard of all these classic rock bands probably wouldn't know the difference between a Bach or a Mozart piece when they heard it, nor would they know the difference between Stravinsky and Holst. Does that mean that they aren't music fans?
I think being in a non anglosphere nation for a while, you understand better

Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
I think being in a non anglosphere nation for a while, you understand better
Singaporelady it's not the fact that you don't know Jimi Hendrix but that you based your view on who parties hard by using music from Britain and the USA. If you are going to do that I just think you should have a better knowledge of what you are talking about. You were basing your opinion on very limited knowledge.

I don't expect everyone to know who Jimi Hendrix is but if you are going to use music as an example from Britain and the USA then I would expect that you know famous and influential artists from these countries.

I also found your response very closed when people mentioned these acts. You just had your opinion made up anyway.

I'm also not sure of what your definition of partying hard is? To me people that party hard use alcohol and/or drugs. I don't think what music they listen to is a good gauge of whether they party hard or not.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:00 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,686,896 times
I agree Bernie. If you're going to use music as a gauge at least know what you are talking about. Music and films is a strange way to measure how hard you party. Apparently singapore lady wants to believe the English do nothing but drink tea in quaint country gardens and go to bed by 8 and all Americans party like college kids on spring break. In many US cities alcohol is not served after 2 am. London has pretty pumping nightlife.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 AM

9,644 posts, read 12,994,922 times
I just don't understand why it is that everyone is taking this so personally.

She may have formed her opinions based on movies or music, but she actually asked the question because she was curious, which in its own right is commendable rather than just continuing to assume that was the case. Then, she gets jumped on and alternately ridiculed for not knowing about specific artists from the West and told that she's obviously ignorant because everybody knows about them, or told that she shouldn't have bothered asking since she doesn't know in the first place (???). Isn't asking a question one of the first steps towards learning something new?

I just find it really weird that a simple question seems to have burned people up so much...

In any case in regards to the original question, being an American myself, having spent time in the UK, and now living in China with a large number of British expat friends, I don't think that either necessarily has a monopoly on who parties harder. It depends on the age group, the scene, and stuff like that.

The British seem to be more apt to get into a little bust-up when drunk, and also to urinate in public and other "yobbish" behavior because in the US, that sort of stuff will get you beaten up/tazed by a cop, thrown in jail, and charged with all sorts of fines and marks on your record that could follow you for the rest of your life. Americans seem to party hard a little longer into adulthood than the British do, probably because they can't start legally drinking until three years later than the British can.

Unless you're in a major and dense city like NYC, Boston, SF, Chicago, etc. it can be tougher to do a literal pub crawl, because the bars may be more spread out and many cities lack decent late-night public transit, meaning that it takes more effort, more money on cabs, a designated driver, and more time to go out and have a good time... so, when Americans get the chance to finally get together with some friends on a Friday night to "party," they're probably more apt to rage hard than to pat their friends on the back and say, "alright, time to head home; see you guys back here tomorrow" than a Brit is. And that's another thing I will say: in my social circle, even the super hard-partying Brits tend to know when to say that they've had too much and cut themselves off, whereas the Americans are more apt to say, "just one more."

Old 03-27-2014, 02:22 AM

246 posts, read 483,318 times
Well, I will say that may desire to travel to Singapore is now even less than it was before. I always thought it to be a bit of a superficial, over-commercialized place with not much "soul" to it and this thread has done nothing to convince me otherwise.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:

She may have formed her opinions based on movies or music, but she actually asked the question because she was curious, which in its own right is commendable rather than just continuing to assume that was the case. Then, she gets jumped on and alternately ridiculed for not knowing about specific artists from the West and told that she's obviously ignorant because everybody knows about them, or told that she shouldn't have bothered asking since she doesn't know in the first place (???). Isn't asking a question one of the first steps towards learning something new?

I just find it really weird that a simple question seems to have burned people up so much...

In any case in regards to the original question, being an American myself, having spent time in the UK, and now living in China with a large number of British expat friends, I don't think that either necessarily has a monopoly on who parties harder. It depends on the age group, the scene, and stuff like that.

The British seem to be more apt to get into a little bust-up when drunk, and also to urinate in public and other "yobbish" behavior because in the US, that sort of stuff will get you beaten up/tazed by a cop, thrown in jail, and charged with all sorts of fines and marks on your record that could follow you for the rest of your life. Americans seem to party hard a little longer into adulthood than the British do, probably because they can't start legally drinking until three years later than the British can.

Unless you're in a major and dense city like NYC, Boston, SF, Chicago, etc. it can be tougher to do a literal pub crawl, because the bars may be more spread out and many cities lack decent late-night public transit, meaning that it takes more effort, more money on cabs, a designated driver, and more time to go out and have a good time... so, when Americans get the chance to finally get together with some friends on a Friday night to "party," they're probably more apt to rage hard than to pat their friends on the back and say, "alright, time to head home; see you guys back here tomorrow" than a Brit is. And that's another thing I will say: in my social circle, even the super hard-partying Brits tend to know when to say that they've had too much and cut themselves off, whereas the Americans are more apt to say, "just one more."
Hi

I hope one day you will spend a period of time over here in Singapore .. Wonder if you have been here and what was your experience like

Old 03-27-2014, 03:07 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,686,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
Well, I will say that may desire to travel to Singapore is now even less than it was before. I always thought it to be a bit of a superficial, over-commercialized place with not much "soul" to it and this thread has done nothing to convince me otherwise.
It has soul, just not so much in places like Orchard Road, Marina Bay or Sentosa, although those are still worth visiting. Go to Little India, Chinatown, Bugis, Geylang, Joo Chiat, older parts of the city.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:17 AM

Quote:

If Singaporelady asked and accepted what people said that would be fine but she already had her opinion made up that Americans partied harder due to some limited range of music that she used as examples and that British people were sensitive about the fact that she didn't think they partied as hard as the Americans. I'm neither British or American so I don't feel I'm being too sensitive because in the end I don't care who parties harder but I just was a bit peeved that Singaporelady came to her conclusion from such a limited knowledge and strange criteria. When people mentioned some music legends she was a bit dismissive and said that people in Singapore don't care about "aged artistes". So really that was the reason why it irritated me.

It wasn't the fact that she didn't know these musicians so much but when people mentioned some legends that she dismissed them as "aged artistes" like they had no importance. Really how can you form opinions when you don't have much knowledge on the subject anyway?

Also is this about partying hard or whose country has the best music to party to? They are two different things in my opinion.

Last edited by Bernie20; 03-27-2014 at 03:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or