Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:03 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,825,968 times

Advertisements

I never say they are unimportant at any juncture . I just say in Singapore people dun show real care for the elderly .

If you see some examples of how our elderly and aged are being treated you will understand ..

Over here law is passed that children have to support their aged parents, so that those who do not can be sued by their parents.

Parents and grandparents are slaves to their children and grandchildren ..

Singapore's figurine icon Lee Kwan Yew is the best example..

But probably most will find to hard to understand cos their culture is not like that

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-27-2014 at 03:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
If you see some examples of how our elderly and aged are being treated you will understand ..

Singapore's figurine icon Lee Kwan Yew is the best example..

But probably most will find to hard to understand cos their culture is not like that
Dismissing rock legends as "aged artistes" just shows ignorance and a lack of respect. Listen to something like All Along the Watchtower and The Wind Cries Mary. They are ageless. They just have a depth to them that you won't find in listening to Lady Gaga or Katie Perry.

I just think someone like Jimi Hendrix should be given respect for his immense talent and trailblazing music. Jimi neved reached an age where he could be called aged. He died way before his time.

As I said it is not that people don't know who these people are and have a good knowledge of modern music history but that lack of respect that grates. The music everyone is listening to now wouldn't exist without these earlier legends. All the guitarists in any band today and in the past would acknowledge and admire Jimi Hendrix.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:10 AM

This is probably out of topic, but really elderly are treated ..

One youngster was caught littering, and when asked for why he litter, he said cos littering helps to create jobs for old people if not they will be out of job..

Do your culture treat old people like that ?

This is an isolated case, but shows the general perception and regard the public here have for the aged..

So do you think over here in general with so many young acts to select from, they will be interested and care about legends ??

Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:

One youngster was caught littering, and when asked for why he litter, he said cos littering helps to create jobs for old people if not they will be out of job..

This is an isolated case, but shows the general perception and regard the public here have for the aged..

So do you think over here in general with so many young acts to select from, they will be interested and care about legends ??
I don't think how a country treats the elderly has anything to do with knowing about rock legends. What has knowing the history of rock music got to do with how you treat your elderly?

Singapore might not treat the elderly too well but not knowing who the No 1 greatest guitarist of the rock era is has nothing to do with that.

That's like saying that because Singapore treat their elderly bad they don't know about World War 2. Jimi Hendrix for example died at 27; he is forever a symbol of the wild young rock star. Elderly and Jimi Hendrix are polar opposites.

You aren't portraying the Singapore youth in a very good light. Your making them appear feather brains who can only appreciate what the media doles out to them and have no desire to explore other forms of music like rock and the blues etc. They can't appreciate anything other than the mainstream and what is fashionable now and have zero knowledge about what they are listening to.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:40 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:

When I was in Singapore years ago I saw advertising posters for the Simon and Garfunkel tour everywhere. Even my mum who didn't listen to much pop music knows them.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't think how a country treats the elderly has anything to do with knowing about rock legends. What has knowing the history of rock music got to do with how you treat your elderly?

Singapore might not treat the elderly too well but not knowing who the No 1 greatest guitarist of the rock era is has nothing to do with that.

That's like saying that because Singapore treat their elderly bad they don't know about World War 2. Jimi Hendrix for example died at 27; he is forever a symbol of the wild young rock star. Elderly and Jimi Hendrix are polar opposites.

You aren't portraying the Singapore youth in a very good light. Your making them appear feather brains who can only appreciate what the media doles out to them and have no desire to explore other forms of music like rock and the blues etc. They can't appreciate anything other than the mainstream and what is fashionable now and have zero knowledge about what they are listening to.
Cos i have to explain to you why SIngapore doesnt care for aged groups ... Or old stuff...

If they cannot even treat the elderly and appreciate someone who shaped singapore to what is it today with respect, do you think they are interested to know the legacy and etc of rock legends who have no impact on their lives?

A small number might be.. But not the masses

Singapore is not a place that places emphasis on past accolades .. Only interested in what we can do and how we can progress.

If we did, would you see netizens putting hash comments on Lee Kwan Yew..

I would put it in another way, SIngaporeans have high interest in flashy, glittery, slick stuff..

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-27-2014 at 06:48 AM..

Old 03-27-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
When I was in Singapore years ago I saw advertising posters for the Simon and Garfunkel tour everywhere. Even my mum who didn't listen to much pop music knows them.
As you said that was years ago... Singapore have changed..

Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Cos i have to explain to you why SIngapore doesnt care for aged groups ... Or old stuff...

Singapore is not a place that places emphasis on past accolades .. Only interested in what we can do and how we can progress.

If we did, would you see netizens putting hash comments on Lee Kwan Yew..

I would put it in another way, SIngaporeans have high interest in flashy, glittery, slick stuff..
That's somewhat true, but there are many people nostalgic for the past and the heritage movement is growing. Recently purchased The History of Singapore, an excellent book with many photos. If you're interested I can link you to historical videos that show you old Singapore.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
As you said that was years ago... Singapore have changed..
What since 2008?

Old 03-27-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
That's somewhat true, but there are many people nostalgic for the past and the heritage movement is growing. Recently purchased The History of Singapore, an excellent book with many photos. If you're interested I can link you to historical videos that show you old Singapore.
Of course it's true that SIngaporeans have high interest in flashy, glittery , slick stuff.. Spoken by none other than a true blue Singaporean.

These tend to be evidently more present in young acts. (Hope nobody disagrees)

Our culture here is not the kind that bother much about the past ...

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-27-2014 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World