U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2014, 06:56 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,484 posts, read 1,195,168 times
Reputation: 381

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
What since 2008?
6 years is not that short a time.. Justin Bieber just debuted then, and now he is the biggest pop icon ? The generation is changing. especially the mindset.

The show wasn't a big deal at the time too.. I never even noticed it in 2008..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,441,496 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Of course it's true that SIngaporeans have high interest in flashy, glittery , slick stuff.. Spoken by none other than a true blue Singaporean.

These tend to be evidently more present in young acts. (Hope nobody disagrees)

Our culture here is not the kind that bother much about the past ...
I still think there is a growing awareness of and pride in Singapore's history. Even if it's modern history is short it's still very interesting. But a lot of people everywhere see history as boring or Irrelevant when nothing is further from the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,484 posts, read 1,195,168 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I still think there is a growing awareness of and pride in Singapore's history. Even if it's modern history is short it's still very interesting. But a lot of people everywhere see history as boring or Irrelevant when nothing is further from the truth.
There is no growing pride in Singapore's history ..most of us dont care.we are just interested in progress face the truth from a true blue Singaporean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,484 posts, read 1,195,168 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't think how a country treats the elderly has anything to do with knowing about rock legends. What has knowing the history of rock music got to do with how you treat your elderly?

Singapore might not treat the elderly too well but not knowing who the No 1 greatest guitarist of the rock era is has nothing to do with that.

That's like saying that because Singapore treat their elderly bad they don't know about World War 2. Jimi Hendrix for example died at 27; he is forever a symbol of the wild young rock star. Elderly and Jimi Hendrix are polar opposites.

You aren't portraying the Singapore youth in a very good light. Your making them appear feather brains who can only appreciate what the media doles out to them and have no desire to explore other forms of music like rock and the blues etc. They can't appreciate anything other than the mainstream and what is fashionable now and have zero knowledge about what they are listening to.
We know about world war 2 , but we don't treat elderly based on what happened during world war 2.. I don't see the connection here..

jimi Hendrix died young , but he is part of history that we Singaporeans generally don't feel and care for , even our own history , what more history that doesn't concern us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 AM
 
2,604 posts, read 3,806,697 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
We know about world war 2 , but we don't treat elderly based on what happened during world war 2.. I don't see the connection here..

jimi Hendrix died young , but he is part of history that we Singaporeans generally don't feel and care for , even our own history , what more history that doesn't concern us
It has no connection just like how you treat the elderly has no connection with your lack of knowledge about music and rock legends. I was just using that example to show how ridiculous that is.

You're the one who brought up UK music and American music as a means of comparing how the UK and American population parties that's why Jimi Hendrix was mentioned. Look back on the thread and see how the topics were raised and developed.

Never mind you're not understanding anything.

A word of advice stop speaking for all Singaporeans to state your personal opinion as in "we Singaporeans" blah blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,666,191 times
Reputation: 11103
It always makes me sad when people are proud of their ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,484 posts, read 1,195,168 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
It has no connection just like how you treat the elderly has no connection with your lack of knowledge about music and rock legends. I was just using that example to show how ridiculous that is.

You're the one who brought up UK music and American music as a means of comparing how the UK and American population parties that's why Jimi Hendrix was mentioned. Look back on the thread and see how the topics were raised and developed.

Never mind you're not understanding anything.

A word of advice stop speaking for all Singaporeans to state your personal opinion as in "we Singaporeans" blah blah.
You also have a closed mindset not accepting what I am trying to explain that aged acts in general do not generate high interest over here.

Treating elderly badly reflects no respect to aged and when there is no respect do you expect there to be interest and care about aged acts ??

Makes sense ?

Last edited by singaporelady; 03-27-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 08:58 AM
 
994 posts, read 1,017,278 times
Reputation: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
Indeed .. So don't use your Anglosphere standard and say all credibility is lost when i say dont know who Jimi Hendrick is.

That is a very narrow minded Anglosphere opinion /comment.

Not knowing who Jimi is does not mean we are living in some place that is not called Earth !!!
If this was just a general discussion about musical tastes around the world then I'd agree. But you started a thread about people's behaviour in the US and UK and how that reflects and is reflected in the musical output of those places. What we've seen from the thread is that you have almost no knowledge of either UK or US musical output.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:22 AM
 
2,604 posts, read 3,806,697 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
You also have a closed mindset not accepting what I am trying to explain that aged acts in general do not generate high interest over here.
I mentioned rock legends not aged acts. Your thread was about who parties harder British or Americans. You then brought music into the topic which in my opinion has nothing to do with who parties harder. You stated you had limited knowledge of UK music so people mentioned some famous UK bands which you said you have never heard of. Because you don't know these famous bands all you can say is "Singaporeans don't care about aged artistes".

So now I have a closed mindset because I'm not accepting that you are trying to explain that aged acts don't generate high interest in Singapore.

You're just bringing more and more unrelated topics into the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 AM
 
Location: singapore
1,484 posts, read 1,195,168 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I mentioned rock legends not aged acts. Your thread was about who parties harder British or Americans. You then brought music into the topic which in my opinion has nothing to do with who parties harder. You stated you had limited knowledge of UK music so people mentioned some famous UK bands which you said you have never heard of. Because you don't know these famous bands all you can say is "Singaporeans don't care about aged artistes".

So now I have a closed mindset because I'm not accepting that you are trying to explain that aged acts don't generate high interest in Singapore.

You're just bringing more and more unrelated topics into the thread.

Aren't led zeppelin, Rolling Stones though they are rock legends aged acts ?? So they are young acts ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top