U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 09:38 AM

20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times

Advertisements

Post more pictures, this is neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:22 PM

4,948 posts, read 6,884,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.
No.
Show me a place in Europe that is tropical?

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,005,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No.
Show me a place in Europe that is tropical?
Are the Canary Islands considered tropical?

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.9703...5MoFB6wTmg!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.1422...PD5cw!2e0!3e11

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,453,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smool View Post
In short the best thing about China is not the culture, history, people or cities that's so much touted in the brochures, but the huge amount of different landscapes beyond the urban areas. Not many people know this but 2/3 of the country is non-arable due to the huge amounts of mountain (most in the world, with 24 ranges including the world's highest), plus the largest and tallest high plateau, averaging 15,000ft but covering a whopping 2.5 million sq km, threaded by many of the longest rivers sourcing from massive snowmelts in the 'roof of the world' / Third Pole that is the Tibetan Plateau and the Himalayas, which in turn carves out the deepest gorges, canyons and bizarre subtropical valleys below the tundra. Then there are the huge deserts of rock, sand and ice, plus of course all the types of forest one can think of (from temperate rainforest, to jungle to eucalyptus to redwood to bamboo to conifer). It has the greatest wetlands, and mangroves (giving it the biggest bird population, migration destination and biodiversity), and grasslands from high steppe to savannah. This is why 1.2 billion are crammed into the remaining third of the country to build their cities and farm all their food, and why the urban areas are so dense and the agriculture so intensively farmed. When we think of China we tend to think of that area in the eastern third, not the multitudinous regions outside it.
Incredible pics and awesome landscapes! China is impressive...

Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,801,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Incredible pics and awesome landscapes! China is impressive...
It really is. Any time I get out into the countryside, even here in Guangdong, I'm blown away by how beautiful it is. It's something that the rest of the world is underexposed to.

I took all these photos at Dafushan Park here in Guangzhou.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:33 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,479,477 times
The pics in this thread are just INSANE!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM

12,096 posts, read 9,622,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Thank you sharing this knowledge. Like someone else mentioned already, Europe and the US are more or less equal in size. As geographical diversity tends to vary with distance, it makes more sense to compare equally sized entities like Europe and the US than to compare individual countries to a large area like the US. The fact that the OP failed to notice this subtlety, does not make it less true.
You want to include all of Europe, fine, but then it is Europe vs North America.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:17 AM

831 posts, read 875,464 times
I think without a doubt it is. I think the only other country that would come close to the US in geographic and climate variety would be China but still a distant second.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:45 AM

303 posts, read 194,044 times
smool, Oh, famous Tszyankunchzhu! Insanely beautiful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Post more pictures, this is neat.
I can show expanses of Russia, if you're interested.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:10 PM

9,693 posts, read 5,291,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Many would say yes (or at least sub-tropical), but that's where posters who are tring to compare the European continent to certain large countries get into trouble. The Canary Islands are a part of the African, not European, continent. Yes, they are controlled by Spain, and, so, could be used by one to argue Spain's geographic diversity in this discussion of countries, NOT continents. However, to those who are trying to compare Europe as a continent to large countries like the United States, despite the clear purpose of this thread, you have to actually stick to the continent! When discussing Europe as a continent for the purposes of this debate, African and Caribbean possessions of European nations don't cut it!

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 02-09-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World