Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 09:34 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,823,200 times

Advertisements

colombia is actually one of the most diverse geographically nations on the planet, like on the top 3

it's a tropical country but since it has gigantic andean mountains, on different elevations on these mountains you can find any microclimate and climate imaginable

from tundra over 4 meters highs, to deserts near the coasts, to tropical jungles, to humid swamps, to perpetual snow over 5 meters high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 10:32 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,923,170 times
USA would be up there. I would also put China up there, infact China is probably more geographically diverse than the USA by a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
from tundra over 4 meters highs, to deserts near the coasts, to tropical jungles, to humid swamps, to perpetual snow over 5 meters high.
do you mean kilometres?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 AM

1,685 posts, read 2,823,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
USA would be up there. I would also put China up there, infact China is probably more geographically diverse than the USA by a little bit.

do you mean kilometres?
yep lol

Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 PM

8,070 posts, read 6,918,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
Florida is subtropical. Just go to the Miami forum so you can find the 1 million threads our lovely trolls have opened about this subject.

The only problem with the US is that to get true tropical climate you have to travel to Hawaii and it is too far away from continental US. There is not a place in continental US where you can find comfortable weather 365 days of the year. The closest I believe is San Diego but is arid as hell and a little too cold for some. Florida is an oven at least 6 months of the year.

Having said the US also has beautiful forests that you won't find in tropical places like Brazil, Venezuela or Colombia.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM

788 posts, read 1,869,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
The only problem with the US is that to get true tropical climate you have to travel to Hawaii and it is too far away from continental US. There is not a place in continental US where you can find comfortable weather 365 days of the year. The closest I believe is San Diego but is arid as hell and a little too cold for some. Florida is an oven at least 6 months of the year.
The United States includes Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. In addition, we have territories all over the Pacific. The term "tropical" refers to anything between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn- not a particular climate. Puerto Rico is closer to the equator than Hawaii.

I guarantee you that there is not a single place in China that you can find comfortable weather 365 days of the year. Yunnan is pretty temperate, but significantly colder (and more rainy) than places like Southern California. Anything coastal or central is oppressively hot in the summer with extreme humidity.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:32 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,536,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
The term "tropical" refers to anything between the Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn- not a particular climate.
'In the Köppen climate classification it is a non-arid climate in which all twelve months have mean temperatures of at least 18 °C (64 °F).'

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-10-2015, 01:00 AM

788 posts, read 1,869,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
'In the Köppen climate classification it is a non-arid climate in which all twelve months have mean temperatures of at least 18 °C (64 °F).'

Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Sounds like a fairly broad definition though. I guess the key difference is using "tropical" versus "in the tropics". I guess I should have used "in the tropics" to clarify that I'm not referring to climate.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:59 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,632,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.
Europe is a whole continent though. And where are the tropics/deserts?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:19 AM

2,942 posts, read 2,890,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhkshdcny09 View Post
Interesting topic. My top 10, almost in order:

- USA
- China
- Mexico
- India
- Argentina
- Canada
- Russia
- Peru
- Turkey
- Venezuela
Pretty solid list. From those im only would taken out Venezuela and maybe Russia. In LA, both Chile, Colombia and Bolivia are more diverse than Venezuela. And i think Russia isn't really more diverse than Australia or Iran. Heck, even France can match Russia if you count overseas territories. The other 8 on the list seems very legit choices to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
colombia is actually one of the most diverse geographically nations on the planet, like on the top 3

it's a tropical country but since it has gigantic andean mountains, on different elevations on these mountains you can find any microclimate and climate imaginable

what? Colombia top 3? isn't even top 3 among Latinamerican countries. No way that Colombia could be more diverse than Argentina, Chile or Mexico.

Last edited by marlaver; 05-15-2015 at 12:32 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM

122 posts, read 165,924 times
For a smaller country, it's hard to match the diversity of New Zealand. From high peaks and glaciers in vast mountain ranges to sub-tropical rainforests, lush rolling farmland to geothermal activity, white and black sand beaches to desert-like plains, and unpopulated islands - all within one compact land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World