U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 AM
 
3,737 posts, read 2,987,027 times
Reputation: 2655

Advertisements

It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-21-2014, 03:46 AM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
10,563 posts, read 14,467,159 times
Reputation: 12072
If you include Alaska (tundra) and Hawaii (tropical rainforests) then yes, I believe it wins.

If you're only talking the lower 48 states, then it's on par with India and China.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,477 posts, read 13,579,883 times
Reputation: 5005
The climate of Peru is very diverse, with a large variety of climates and microclimates, including 28 of the 32 world climates.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Colorado
1,524 posts, read 2,477,187 times
Reputation: 2197
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
It seems to have every climate and landform you can think of- from the deserts of the southwest, the plains, forests, mountains, tundras in Alaska, tropical rain forests in Hawaii, etc. Even when you take out Alaska and Hawaii, it's still incredibly diverse. Southern Florida is tropical, then we have the snowy mountain tundras elsewhere.

I feel like the other countries that may give it a run for its money is Canada, China, and Australia. But Canada doesn't have anything tropical and I don't know a whole lot about the others.

What do you think?
Definitely not Canada, which is uniformly cold across the entire country, and lacks a plethora of habitable climates commonly found in other large countries. But certainly China. Here is a list of the world's "mega diverse" countries based on biodiversity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megadiverse_countries

and here is a map of climate zones: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...version%29.png

In terms of being the most diverse, It's a run-off between America and China. Like America, China is centered around different climactic zones. It has a frigid north, and a tropical south. China also has large swaths of desert, plains, and mountains. India, Madagascar, and South Africa are also very diverse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
1,025 posts, read 883,208 times
Reputation: 1354
Hi everybody. I come to fullfill the stereotype and write my chauvinistic post suggesting Argentina among the contenders. Throughout 33º of latitude from tropics (22ºS) to Subantarctic (55ºS), plus a mountain range that runs latitudinally and gets to 6,960, it is something to take into account.

Anyway, I have no idea on how quantify geographic diversity, but I guess USA is likely to be on top (at least in terms of climate diversity it definitely is).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:26 AM
 
2,109 posts, read 2,239,307 times
Reputation: 1947
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 AM
 
Location: sumter
11,203 posts, read 6,792,829 times
Reputation: 8180
The US should be at or near the top in this category.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires and La Plata, ARG
2,537 posts, read 2,089,047 times
Reputation: 1733
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
If you include Alaska (tundra) and Hawaii (tropical rainforests) then yes, I believe it wins.

If you're only talking the lower 48 states, then it's on par with India and China.
I agree for the most part, except the inclusion of India in the same tier. But i think this is about absolute diversity. Relative diversity is another history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires and La Plata, ARG
2,537 posts, read 2,089,047 times
Reputation: 1733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Hi everybody. I come to fullfill the stereotype and write my chauvinistic post suggesting Argentina among the contenders. Throughout 33º of latitude from tropics (22ºS) to Subantarctic (55ºS), plus a mountain range that runs latitudinally and gets to 6,960, it is something to take into account.

Anyway, I have no idea on how quantify geographic diversity, but I guess USA is likely to be on top (at least in terms of climate diversity it definitely is).
Argentina is definitely in the top 10, and very underrated country in this subject, but not in the same tier as USA-China IMO. Always speaking of absolute diversity, of course. Relative diversity is a different history: in fact, i think Argentina has a bit more diversity due to his size than the USA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2014, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
23,572 posts, read 24,651,482 times
Reputation: 36604
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
The whole of Europe would as as diverse, if not more, than China or the US. You find it all here.
how about naming some other entire continents too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top