U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 AM

5,697 posts, read 5,995,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Hungary 110th and Bulgaria 144th, only EU countries outside Top 90

if you had been to hungary , you would see why , incredibly miserable folk ( rude too )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM

id associate those countries as being functioning and civilised as opposed to happy

thai people always come across as happy despite that nations issues

Old 03-22-2014, 08:53 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,288,983 times
I wonder what irrefutable arguments will be presented why the US should be on top of that list.

I also wonder why Germany, the UK, France and Belgium got such low ratings. Those actually are countries I believe should have received a higher rating.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wonder what irrefutable arguments will be presented why the US should be on top of that list.

I also wonder why Germany, the UK, France and Belgium got such low ratings. Those actually are countries I believe should have received a higher rating.

while a great people , the british are not known for their irrepressible cheerfulness , neither are the germans

Old 03-22-2014, 09:05 AM

10,342 posts, read 7,432,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
while a great people , the british are not known for their irrepressible cheerfulness , neither are the germans
Whether you agree with the methodology of the report or definition of 'happiness' - they included wellbeing and security as part of happiness. In the latter sense, aside from general non-irrepressible cheerfulness as you say lol - i'm sure the British are up there when it comes to feelings of security, optimism for future prosperity for themelves and their children and for general wellbeing. Same with the Germans.. I'd take those things over wondering how i'm going to feed my children but living in a year round sunny place.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-22-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 AM

38,325 posts, read 41,333,374 times
Not every culture puts a premium or emphasis on happiness.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 AM

840 posts, read 586,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I guess happiness coincides with dullness.

Well, except Mexico and Venezuela. They have drug cartels and riots to keep them occupied.
Not all of Mexico is in a war zone as most U.S media likes you you believe. And despites of all our problems, we Mexicans -for the most part- don't whine much and take the best of each day. I guess it has to do with being a family oriented people. No matter how bad can turn, you'd always have a family and a home to come to, at the end of the day.
If countries you'd expect to be the happiest for them being developed nations, aren't on the top ten. Maybe is time to look deeper into why people who has it all, are so miserable. Even with no drug cartels or violence to keep them occupied.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:19 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,152,107 times
I find it shocking that the people in Bulgaria (EU member) are less happy than those in India, Mauritania, Djibouti, Iran, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burma, Cameroon, Kenya, Sudan, Tajikistan, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Congo, Burkina Faso, Mali, Liberia, Georgia, Nepal, Niger, Sri Lanka, Gabon, Malawi, Cambodia, Chad, Yemen and Afghanistan.

Why are Bulgarians and Hungarians so depressed?

Old 03-22-2014, 10:43 AM

21,818 posts, read 12,762,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why are Bulgarians and Hungarians so depressed?
For Bulgaria: endless corruption, high unemployment, terrible housing, poor prospects for the future.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:20 AM

3,177 posts, read 1,787,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Not all of Mexico is in a war zone as most U.S media likes you you believe. And despites of all our problems, we Mexicans -for the most part- don't whine much and take the best of each day. I guess it has to do with being a family oriented people. No matter how bad can turn, you'd always have a family and a home to come to, at the end of the day.
If countries you'd expect to be the happiest for them being developed nations, aren't on the top ten. Maybe is time to look deeper into why people who has it all, are so miserable. Even with no drug cartels or violence to keep them occupied.
Yes we do. Even the people who have hardships try to see the positives.

Mexico, with problems and all, is such a fun, loving culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World