Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 02:24 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Like the developing countries that are happier than Americans.

Why is that? It would be a good discussion
Indeed.

15. Panama
16. Mexico
17. US

Why would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 10:04 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,091,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Yes we do. Even the people who have hardships try to see the positives.

Mexico, with problems and all, is such a fun, loving culture!
Same with the Philippines. Inspite of problems and poverty, people are still very positive and people are still able to smile and laugh.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:29 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I find it shocking that the people in Bulgaria (EU member) are less happy than those in India, Mauritania, Djibouti, Iran, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burma, Cameroon, Kenya, Sudan, Tajikistan, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Congo, Burkina Faso, Mali, Liberia, Georgia, Nepal, Niger, Sri Lanka, Gabon, Malawi, Cambodia, Chad, Yemen and Afghanistan.

Why are Bulgarians and Hungarians so depressed?
Maybe most people in India, Mauritania, Djibouti, Iran, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burma, Cameroon, Kenya, Sudan, Tajikistan, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Congo, Burkina Faso, Malí, Liberia, Georgia, Nepal, Niger, Sri Lanka, Gabon, Malawi, Cambodia, Chad, Yemen and Afghanistan; for all their faults, problems and poverty do see the cup half full instead of half empty.
Different cultures, different mindsets and obviously very different wants in life.
Again, the fact that citizens of a bunch of third world countries, can be -and are- happier than a rich EU nation, says more about rich countries -and the way their citizens think- than the poor dirty ones.

Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 AM

667 posts, read 940,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I find it shocking that the people in Bulgaria (EU member) are less happy than those in India, Mauritania, Djibouti, Iran, Ethiopia, Uganda, Burma, Cameroon, Kenya, Sudan, Tajikistan, Haiti, Sierra Leone, Armenia, Congo, Burkina Faso, Mali, Liberia, Georgia, Nepal, Niger, Sri Lanka, Gabon, Malawi, Cambodia, Chad, Yemen and Afghanistan.

Why are Bulgarians and Hungarians so depressed?
Maybe it's because they are in the EU and tend to compare themselves with other EU countries, not with India, Mauritania ot Djibouti.
Or maybe there's just lots of melancholics among Bulgarians? Ability to be happy depends on temperament a lot I think.

Here in Belarus people also tend to complain a lot and see themselves in a negative light. But: as far as I can see, there's much more whining in internet that in real life... Forums are teeming with whiners, whose comments about any media article are very predictable. While in real life I often see much happier people.
BTW: one of the biggest whiners I know here is a programmer whose salary is 4-5 times bigger than the average in the country.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:17 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
where religious belief is high , people tend to be happier

im not a believer btw but I know plenty of believers and they seem very happy

Old 03-23-2014, 10:33 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
where religious belief is high , people tend to be happier

im not a believer btw but I know plenty of believers and they seem very happy
Yes, except for the top 10 countries on that list who all are very secular.

Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Do you guys seriously enjoy these types of articles? How do you not simply laugh?

Denmark must be such a great place because CNN said so

Old 03-23-2014, 04:06 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Give me one reason why it wouldn't be.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:07 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Do you guys seriously enjoy these types of articles? How do you not simply laugh?

It's a nice country actually. I'd live there. The results don't surprise me at all.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Give me one reason why it wouldn't be.
Maybe somewhere with palm trees would be happier.

The fact is, reading a list on CNN and actually believing that it's the happiest country in the world is pretty low level thinking. To say ANY country is the happiest or to make a ranking is pretty dumb to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World